U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2018, 05:29 PM

1,993 posts, read 1,234,841 times

Advertisements

We did in this house and in our previous house. This house has a 3 car garage and we had a storage shed at our old house. Given some of the epic hail storms we've had I'm glad we garage our cars.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2018, 10:15 AM

323 posts, read 152,030 times
No they do not have basements which I find very strange considering tornadoes and all that...why wouldn't they have a basement? Seems like a no brainer.

Old 04-13-2018, 10:21 AM

1,993 posts, read 1,234,841 times
If you wish to know why instead of wondering just read the myriad of threads explaining why to transplants.

Old 04-15-2018, 07:02 AM

1,568 posts, read 851,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger34 View Post
No they do not have basements which I find very strange considering tornadoes and all that...why wouldn't they have a basement? Seems like a no brainer.
Because the soil here has too much clay and limestone so water does not drain very fast so you would end up with an underground indoor pool under your house every time there's a heavy rain.

Old 04-15-2018, 01:27 PM

637 posts, read 896,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger34 View Post
Tornadoes would be a pretty bad reason to spend money on a basement in this area. They get a lot of attention when they hit, but they are still very rare and are seldom dangerous enough that you need the extra protection of a shelter or basement. I've lived in this for 42 and a half years and I don't know anyone that's been injured in a tornado and I can think of 2 people that I know that have had damage to their home from a tornado. I'm not saying you shouldn't take the threat seriously, but you also shouldn't build the church for Easter Sunday.

Old 04-15-2018, 05:22 PM

120 posts, read 90,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyphorx View Post
Because the soil here has too much clay and limestone so water does not drain very fast so you would end up with an underground indoor pool under your house every time there's a heavy rain.
What you said plus the clay just isn't stable enough. It expands and shrinks a lot. It would cost quite a bit to build a standard basement to handle the shifting soil.

That is why there are so many foundation repair companies around. No matter how well built your house is, it will eventually start to shift a bit, causing doors and windows not to open smoothly or lock correctly. When it gets bad, the mortar in the brick will start to crack.

The other reason is because there isn't a need. Homes up north are required to lay the foundation several feet below the surface so water pipes won't freeze every winter. If you have to put the pipes 7 or 8 feet below the surface, might as well make it a room.

As far as tornadoes, most homes have a room or closet in the middle with no windows. If you have the money to have a house built or retro-fitted one and tornadoes scare you that much, you can build/add a small, reinforced 'panic' room or pay a company to install a small, underground bunker. Home Depot and Lowe's sell them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
View detailed profiles of: