U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2018, 06:36 PM

26 posts, read 29,604 times

Advertisements

I have been searching rentals in the HEB area and it looks like houses don't have basements... is that the norm in this area?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2018, 07:37 PM

10,541 posts, read 22,428,002 times
Yes, houses in north Texas hardly ever have basements for several reasons. Do a search here. It’s been discussed many times!

Old 03-02-2018, 11:55 PM

205 posts, read 166,045 times
No, they do not have basements.

Old 03-03-2018, 10:04 PM

26 posts, read 29,604 times
thank you!

Old 03-04-2018, 12:09 PM

1,176 posts, read 874,094 times
I've probably been in 20,000 houses in DFW area and I've seen about 4 that had basements. I think 2 of those were built on a hill so one side was in the hill and the other side open to the air, so maybe not a true basement.
Very unlike many other areas of the country and maybe we need them more.

Old 03-05-2018, 12:27 PM

95 posts, read 82,382 times
So coming from colorado, where *everyone* has a basement I just wonder what people in Texas use for storage? LOL Do you all just not keep as much crap around?

Old 03-05-2018, 12:36 PM

664 posts, read 1,566,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vailbaby View Post
So coming from colorado, where *everyone* has a basement I just wonder what people in Texas use for storage? LOL Do you all just not keep as much crap around?
That's my solution but I also notice that there are a ton of storage facilities around compared to what I saw when I lived in Atlanta where basements are plentiful.

Old 03-05-2018, 01:40 PM

155 posts, read 118,018 times
Attic or storage unit. Just have to be careful not to put anything that will melt up there.

Old 03-06-2018, 01:08 PM

12,196 posts, read 7,187,920 times
Quote:

Some years ago, when we were looking for a house, we visited a new housing development on a street here in Fort Worth. Rather nice houses, around 1500 square feet, but with limited closet or storage space. They did have two-car garages.

We ended up buying an older home in a neighborhood close by. Meanwhile, those newer houses all eventually sold. If one were to drive down that street (as I do all the time) you would notice that just about every single owner parks their vehicles outside. If a garage door for a house happens to be open, you will see why: the garages serve as storage units.

As for basements: I grew up on a street in Arlington Heights (Fort Worth). On the west side of the street, several people had basements (like our next door neighbor), but there were none on the east side.

A young medical doctor bought an empty lot on the east side of the street, and began building his own house, with a basement. Thoughtful neighbors informed him that one could not have basements on that side of the street due to an 'underground river'.

The doctor scoffed at the notion (since almost directly across the street was a house, our neighbors, with a basement), and proceeded to build a two story house, with a full basement, along with a shaft in the basement for a planned elevator (which itself seemed odd to all, but he was an odd man in many ways).

He never got to use the basement, for it, and the elevator shaft, continually had water in it. I believe he had sump pumps running on a more-or-less regular basis (especially when it rained), and especially for that elevator shaft (which was about 6 feet deep, if I recall, and almost continually full of water).

This was the mid 1970s. Due to divorce and other changes in his life, he decided to sell the house sometime in the early 2000s. It took him years to sell, I assume due to that basement.

Old 04-06-2018, 04:31 PM

16,791 posts, read 43,835,686 times
Quote:
Hardly anyone in Tx parks their cars in the garage, they are full of "stuff"!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
View detailed profiles of: