Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2008, 01:11 PM

15 posts, read 42,943 times

Advertisements

Me, my husband and my daughter are wanting to move to the Forth Worrth/surrounding area within the next 12-15 months. I have heard conflicting things regarding housing prices, property taxes, utility cost, state taxes, employment opportunities, etc. I know that I can pretty much work anywhere because I do medical billing and accounts receivable. My husband on the other hand, he is an industrial electrician/maintenance mechanic and is looking to quit that type of work. He is looking at truck driving as an alternative career. We need something that will pay approximately what he makes doing his current type of work. We live in Des Plaines, which is a suburb of Chicago. Even though we live near the city there is little opportunity for the type of work my husband does now. So, if anyone has any information on living in the Fort Worth/surrounding areas it would be greatly appreciated. I would like an idea of what living in this area would be like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2008, 11:00 PM

1,379 posts, read 6,426,066 times
We have some friends that are looking at getting out of the Chicago area and are looking at Fort Worth as an alternative as well.

First big point...is that there are no state income taxes. Property taxes vary from city to city, county to county and depend on Independent School Districts (ISD)s, you can count on property taxes being anywhere from 2.5% to about 3.5% depending on where you live.

You can also apply for a homestead which is for your primary residence. It allows a certain amount to be deducted off the appraised amount of your home. So if you have a taxed appraisal amount of 200K, if you file a homestead and its your primary residence (as example) you might be able to take 20K off that 200K and you would be taxed at the rate on 180K instead. There are various types of homestead whether you are over 60, vet etc.

Home prices themselves can be less expensive depending upon where you look, but dollar for dollar you get more for your money down here.

There are quite a few commercial carriers down here so as long as he has a clean driving record and is able to get his commercial driver's license, he shouldn't have too much of a problem. We have a friend of a friend that drives a truck and does pretty well. You might want to go to the local news talk radio station WBAP - you can search for their site and they have a local night time truckers show that talks about different companies that are hiring.

Good luck and take care!

Old 03-31-2008, 06:59 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,862,293 times
you REALLY need to think about being a truck driver -- from what I hav read most drivers who work independently and either own or lease their rigs are getting really torqued by the high diesel prices--they are having great difficulty passing that along to their jobbers--and are seeing their income drop---
and many trucking companies what their drivers to be contractors not employees...
check out this job posting for work at Alcon labs which is fort worth company and see if it is something your husband qualifies for--there are many plants like this in DFW area--so he might be able to get work in his field that I think would be better choice than truck driving...

Lead Maintenance Craft Tech ndash Power - Jobs in Fort Worth, TX - Construction Jobs and Extraction Jobs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
View detailed profiles of: