U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2018, 03:44 PM

5 posts, read 3,977 times

Advertisements

Hello, we are relocating to area for my job, and I would like some feedback. We have school aged kids, so school districts are important. I have been looking at some neighborhoods, including Seventeen Lakes, Sendera Ranch, Steadman Farms, Watersbend, and WestFork ranch. Are there any schools that we should avoid within the NWISD and Keller ISD?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2018, 06:36 PM

10,505 posts, read 22,346,689 times
Where are you commuting to, and how long of a commute will you tolerate?
What’s your budget?

Old 03-22-2018, 06:35 AM

5 posts, read 3,977 times
I am going to work in the medical center in downtown Fort Worth. We are looking to stay between 350-400, but will consider going above 400 for the right house/neighborhood.

Old 03-22-2018, 08:40 AM

10,505 posts, read 22,346,689 times
If you’ll be working near downtown, be aware that the commute from the north on I35W is very heavy traffic. There’s no good alternate route except surface streets with res lights, potholes and school zones.

You’d be smart to look to the south: Burleson, Mansfield, Benbrook and the western part of Fort Worth. All of those places have good schools, will be a lot closer to your work, and will have much better commutes.

Old 03-24-2018, 08:41 AM

1,575 posts, read 2,900,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
If you’ll be working near downtown, be aware that the commute from the north on I35W is very heavy traffic. There’s no good alternate route except surface streets with res lights, potholes and school zones.

You’d be smart to look to the south: Burleson, Mansfield, Benbrook and the western part of Fort Worth. All of those places have good schools, will be a lot closer to your work, and will have much better commutes.
ChristieP is right about the traffic, but I'd personally still stick with North FTW if you plan on living there for more than a year or two. It's still growing and just has so much going on. Roanoke is a great place to visit on the weekends (It's the "Unique Dining Capital of the Texas", after all). You're close to all the amenities of Southlake, easy access to the airport.

South FTW will certainly be an easier commute, but I just haven't been as impressed by the suburbs down there. YMMV.

Old 03-24-2018, 09:31 PM

4,104 posts, read 2,386,985 times
Before I retired in December 2017, I commuted from the Marine Creek area. Work hours were 0630-300pm so I didn't have much traffic.

20 minutes each way.

Old 03-25-2018, 09:23 AM

6,761 posts, read 5,611,182 times
I’d spend time looking in Mansfield, specifically in the neighborhoods that feed into the original Mansfield High School. MHS and its feeder elementary and middle schools are high performing schools.

Old 03-28-2018, 06:49 PM

632 posts, read 1,202,520 times
North FW is a miserable commute. I would look west like Weatherford, Aledo, Walsh Ranch, and Brock. Eventually it too will be miserable but probably 5-10 years away still. North FW is already miserable.

Old 03-29-2018, 12:06 AM

1,575 posts, read 2,900,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebuch View Post
North FW is a miserable commute. I would look west like Weatherford, Aledo, Walsh Ranch, and Brock. Eventually it too will be miserable but probably 5-10 years away still. North FW is already miserable.
The problem with communities like Weatherford and Aledo is that it makes it so hard to access all of the amenities in Arlington and Dallas. Going to a Rangers game, six flags, sporting events, concerts becomes so much more time consuming and frustrating when you have to drive 60 miles each way.

I moved back to Houston about a year ago, but when I lived in Keller it was about a 35 minute to downtown Fort Worth regardless of what time I left (we lived on the east side of Keller, so I'd just take Davis down to 121). Hop on 114 and it'd take about 40 minutes to Dallas or 30 minutes to Arlington.

Old 03-30-2018, 01:13 AM

192 posts, read 153,357 times
The best schools in Keller ISD will be those in the city of Keller proper (ie. east of 377), but these areas are pricier than most of the Fort Worth portion of Keller ISD. The KISD schools to avoid would be those in the southernmost (read: older suburbs) portion of the district, roughly between Western Center and North Tarrant Parkway. With respect to Northwest ISD, I'd say that NISD overall is pretty good, just that the rural western portions of the district (like Rhome and Newark) will have lesser-performing schools than the rest of the district (though still better than the worst areas of KISD), though I'm assuming you aren't looking into these areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post

Agreed with respect to the commute. Southern and western portions of FW are going to have easier commutes, though Mansfield and portions of Burleson can be a bit far from central Fort Worth.

That said, most of central Fort Worth is served by the Fort Worth ISD, which isn't exactly known for having good schools outside of a few bright spots like Tanglewood and Benbrook. If your children are elementary age, it is worth noting that some of the west side elementary schools are also good, namely those three which feed into Stripling MS (especially Burton Hill, and to a lesser extent South Hi Mount and North Hi Mount). That said, the main issues with living in FWISD will come at the middle and high school levels, whereas this is less so the case in a suburban ISD like Keller or Northwest. McLean and Stripling are probably the two best middle schools in the FWISD though, with Paschal being the best zoned FWISD high school (McLean is one of the feeder middle schools for Paschal); Arlington Heights (the HS that Stripling feeds into) unfortunately has its issues and isn't really a good high school anymore.

I know that many families who live in the Tanglewood zone do send their children to private school once they reach middle school, though some of those do come back to Paschal HS for their college preparatory curriculum.

That said, outside of perhaps Foster Park, your budget isn't really going to get you into the Tanglewood zone. Honestly, you could choose to live in the suburbs and put up with the commute, or make some sacrifices on schools to live closer in, and have easy access to a ton of great amenities in the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth