U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2018, 01:48 PM

9 posts, read 8,380 times

Advertisements

Hello!! So my family & I are moving to Texas this summer. Our offer was accepted on a beautiful home in Trophy Club and the inspection report just came in. One thing that was very concerning to me was some rodent droppings that were found in the attic. After speaking to the inspector he said he sees it in every home he goes into, apparently very common to have rodents in the attic?! 😳
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2018, 01:51 PM

644 posts, read 902,584 times
It happens. Make sure everything is sealed from the outside. Better in your attic than in the house.

Old 04-05-2018, 06:10 PM

2,307 posts, read 6,785,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycfamilyoffour View Post
Hello!! So my family & I are moving to Texas this summer. Our offer was accepted on a beautiful home in Trophy Club and the inspection report just came in. One thing that was very concerning to me was some rodent droppings that were found in the attic. After speaking to the inspector he said he sees it in every home he goes into, apparently very common to have rodents in the attic?! 😳
Unfortunately the buggers love to move into homes! I would recommend you speak with a professional pest control company on actions that can be taken to protect against them, their damage, and their reproduction in your attic. When you speak with the professional pest company you can also ask them to review any possible health hazards from an infestation.

There are many places they can enter including something as simple as the weepholes at the base of exterior brick walls. The pest control company can help identify all potential entry points so you can have them properly protected from further entry.

Old 04-05-2018, 06:20 PM

2,012 posts, read 1,258,375 times
I was born at Medical City and have lived in DFW all my life. I've experienced roaches that would make your skin crawl but never rodents.

Old 04-06-2018, 10:18 AM

6,819 posts, read 5,687,089 times
Congrats on getting the offer accepted! I have a lot of experience with rodents (lucky me!) in attics and crawl spaces in Texas and also CA where I’ve had properties. They are very, very common in homes in TX. They aren’t that easy to get rid of. I have had success using good exterminators who also guarantee their work. They come out and seal all openings and clean up all the droppings, if you have any evidence of more rodents they will return and continue to work on the issue.

At my California house, we hired — quite reasonably (under $3K) a specialty company to exterminate, seal and continue on an annual contract about $100 to keep the house mouse free. But, I found the reputable exterminators in the DFW to be very expensive (for my 4400 sq ft house in Las Colinas, quote was $5K some years ago with about $1K annual contract). Instead, we hired handymen over the years at that house to seal every possible opening, following various poisoning campaigns and set traps in the attic. But must admit we continued to have breeches (attic and crawl space only, never in our living areas) for the 14 years we lived in that house...... all our neighbors had the same issues.

Old 04-07-2018, 09:32 AM

9,948 posts, read 4,856,739 times
Where there are humans there will be rats and mice.

I was born at Baylor Hospital, before there was Medical City. I have seen plenty of rats and mice. And a panoply of cockroaches from the tiny to the massive.

Looking at your username, are you telling us that you come from New York City and rodents are worrying you?

Old 04-12-2018, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Where there are humans there will be rats and mice.

I was born at Baylor Hospital, before there was Medical City. I have seen plenty of rats and mice. And a panoply of cockroaches from the tiny to the massive.

Looking at your username, are you telling us that you come from New York City and rodents are worrying you?
😂😂😂😂😂 good point

Old 04-15-2018, 06:07 PM

120 posts, read 91,373 times
First, rodent doesn't automatically mean rats. It could be squirrels. Not a huge difference.

Depending on the style of the house/attic, you can check the mesh around the gables (if you have them) to see how they are getting into the attic and either repair it yourself or hire a professional.

Squirrels, rats, etc are pretty smart, stronger and able to fit into small holes than people realize. If part of the screen isn't tight or if there is a small hole, they can squeeze through.

I would suggest setting traps as opposed to using poison. When poison is used, the animal might leave the house before dying which would lead to other animals (like birds, cats, dogs, etc) eating them. That same poison would then be passed to the animal, usually killing them as well.

Setting and baiting a trap allows you to catch and possibly release the animal away from the house. I had a rat not that long ago. I set up a trap in my garage and baited it with dog food. Two days later, he was in that trap. I took him to the lake, about 4 miles away and let him loose. I've repaired where I think he was coming in and I keep the trap set. I haven't seen a rat since.

One thing I would advise, depending on the style of your house, walk around and look at where the roof meets the brick. If there are gaps, you can use silicone (like chalk, but water proof) to seal that up. Those little gaps could allow ants, wasps, bees, etc an easy entry way into the attic. Again, you can do this yourself or pay a professional.

Good luck

Old 04-16-2018, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemyLebeau View Post
First, rodent doesn't automatically mean rats. It could be squirrels. Not a huge difference.

Depending on the style of the house/attic, you can check the mesh around the gables (if you have them) to see how they are getting into the attic and either repair it yourself or hire a professional.

Squirrels, rats, etc are pretty smart, stronger and able to fit into small holes than people realize. If part of the screen isn't tight or if there is a small hole, they can squeeze through.

I would suggest setting traps as opposed to using poison. When poison is used, the animal might leave the house before dying which would lead to other animals (like birds, cats, dogs, etc) eating them. That same poison would then be passed to the animal, usually killing them as well.

Setting and baiting a trap allows you to catch and possibly release the animal away from the house. I had a rat not that long ago. I set up a trap in my garage and baited it with dog food. Two days later, he was in that trap. I took him to the lake, about 4 miles away and let him loose. I've repaired where I think he was coming in and I keep the trap set. I haven't seen a rat since.

One thing I would advise, depending on the style of your house, walk around and look at where the roof meets the brick. If there are gaps, you can use silicone (like chalk, but water proof) to seal that up. Those little gaps could allow ants, wasps, bees, etc an easy entry way into the attic. Again, you can do this yourself or pay a professional.

Good luck
Thank you so much!!!

Old 04-22-2018, 07:50 PM

32,551 posts, read 51,102,602 times
Yes--squirrels can chew their way into homes--through fascia and exterior plywood
They like to den up for the winter in attics because they are warmer than outside and safer

So you have to periodically just check the outside of your house
Cats are great--

And yes--here we have outside roaches that can be 3inches long--have a hard brown shiny carapace
They live outside in the grass and come inside and can STAY inside--when they get in--
You can treat for them with insecticide outside--
Should do that anyway IMO for fire ants and other insects
They are different than the German cockroaches that are more soft-bodied and live inside and can be REALLY difficult to get rid of
Ants can also be problems here
There are various kinds--some of them love electrical current and can short out your outside AC units...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
View detailed profiles of: