Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2018, 02:26 PM

16 posts, read 16,834 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!
My husband and I are considering relocation to Fort Worth-Dallas area. We are moving from Boulder, Colorado.
We are looking for an area:
1) green
2) developed
3) good schools
4) has organic grocery stores like Whole Foods
5) has decent commute to downtown Fort Worth.(30 min or less)
6) restaurants and shopping nearby

We can consider Dallas suburbs too but not sure what the commute will look like.
Our budget is 750k tops.
Someone suggested Southlake but it looks a little Mcmansiony by the pictures? We would prefer original charm of course.
Schools are not extremely important, as we can consider private.
Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2018, 02:30 PM

8,097 posts, read 8,237,361 times
Look in the Arlington Heights section of North Fort Worth.

Old 04-26-2018, 03:04 PM

Is commuting from Dallas possible? How long is the commute?

Old 04-26-2018, 05:44 PM

263 posts, read 158,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkinpie1981 View Post
Is commuting from Dallas possible? How long is the commute?
I don't think any part of Dallas will allow for a 30 minute commute to downtown Fort Worth. I'm in north Fort Worth and it would probably take me over 30 minutes to commute into downtown.

Here is a screenshot of google maps taken at 1740 checking the travel time from West Dallas to Fort Worth:

Old 04-26-2018, 05:45 PM

Ok. So besides Arlington Heights what other areas I should look into?

Old 04-26-2018, 06:46 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,114,624 times
Quote:
Hello everyone!
My husband and I are considering relocation to Fort Worth-Dallas area. We are moving from Boulder, Colorado.
We are looking for an area:
1) green
2) developed
3) good schools
4) has organic grocery stores like Whole Foods
5) has decent commute to downtown Fort Worth.(30 min or less)
6) restaurants and shopping nearby

We can consider Dallas suburbs too but not sure what the commute will look like.
Our budget is 750k tops.
Someone suggested Southlake but it looks a little Mcmansiony by the pictures? We would prefer original charm of course.
Schools are not extremely important, as we can consider private.
Thank you!
I would look in Fort Worth, especially since you're not bound by public schools. The TCU area, Tanglewood, Arlington Heights could all be good fits for you- they're the beautiful, historic neighborhoods in FW proper. Some have good public schools, some don't. There are several great private schools in FW, too.

There's definitely no need to live in Arlington or Dallas with a job in Fort Worth!

Old 04-26-2018, 07:32 PM

Thank you so much! Are all those areas close to the restaurants, shopping, parks?

Old 04-26-2018, 08:53 PM

8,097 posts, read 8,237,361 times
Quote:
Thank you so much! Are all those areas close to the restaurants, shopping, parks?
Yes all near shops and restaurants. Mistletoe Heights is also another charming area. Arlington Heights, however, is the only one near Central Market. I learned a while back to check where there are Trader Joe’s stores and one is likely to find good local neighborhoods near them.

Old 04-26-2018, 11:19 PM

294 posts, read 288,768 times
Look at Colleyville. There is actually a Whole Foods in Colleyville. Your budget is fine and its meet your criteria. Not sure how that commute would be in traffic. But, it would closer for you than Southlake (and Colleyville is closer to the Whole Foods anyway). I think you will find more original charm in Colleyville than in a lot of other places.

Old 04-27-2018, 02:52 AM

197 posts, read 226,760 times
I have a feeling you might like the Tanglewood area of Fort Worth. The areas around Overton Park are nice and green, the public schools are better than in Arlington Heights, and grocery-wise there are Trader Joe’s, Central Market, and Whole Foods all nearby.

Southlake also has a Central Market (and a Trader Joe’s) as well. Though the public schools there are by far the best (hardly anyone in Southlake goes private unless it is for a particular religious school), the drive to Fort Worth will be brutal and could involve some very expensive tolls if you wish to avoid heavy traffic on those freeways that have managed express lanes.

That said, Tanglewood is about as good public school-wise as Southlake at the elementary levels (except for some overcrowding), though to get the same quality at the middle and high school level will require private school. Although Paschal HS (the public high school in the Tanglewood/TCU area) has some pretty strong college preparatory programs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth