U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2018, 05:05 PM

142 posts, read 216,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkodai View Post
Hi - We moved last year to Grapevine ( renting ) and my kids go to Southlake schools. My husband commutes to Fort Worth and rush hour takes an hour. Southlake schools are good and looks like there is growing Indian community.

There are some new homes in Keller that are zoned for Southlake schools, homes are in 500s, not much land but seem nice. Similarly there is Carillon, and the villa section in in higher 600's. These homes are close to each other sit in market longer ( from what I have observed ). But I have seen many Indian families there. Grapevine Colleyville schools are also supposed to be good and I think there are apartments you can rent ( unlike Southlake where there are no apartments to rent.
Thanks!

A couple of questions please:

- Where did you guys move from and how has the transition been?
- What do you say rush hour is (start time from Grapevine)?
- How old are the kids?
- Do you mind sharing street/other info where you rent and what schools are zoned (elementary, middle and high)?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2018, 05:41 PM

10,501 posts, read 22,338,847 times
Rush hour throughout DFW is from 7:00-8:30 AM and 4:00-6:00 PM. Grapevine to downtown Fort Worth is 40 minutes in the morning, and an hour in the evening. Add about 15 minutes for Southlake.

In Grapevine, avoid any thing on Mustang Drive. The newest and nicest apartments are in Glade Parks (north Euless but still GCISD). There are also nice apartments along Hwy 360 that feed into Bear Creek Elementary.

Old 05-04-2018, 07:11 AM

29 posts, read 25,567 times
Hi - Rush hours are pretty much what ChristieP said. My husband doesn't seem to mind the commute so much in the evening, he avoids morning commute as he leaves early.

The neighborhood we are is Winding Creek in grapevine. Schools zoned to this area are -
Johnson Elementary, Durham Imtermediate, Carroll Middle, everyone goes to Carroll High.
You can find the homes zoned to CISD using School district search- If you go to Engel Volkers dallas website, they have a search by school district. There are not too many affordable homes to rent in CISD.

We moved from Midwest and transition has been good - kids have adjusted in school without issues. Most people seem friendly. Although Southlake is reputed to be snobbish (I heard that when we moved ), haven't particularly noticed it. Occasionally kids will talk about fancy cars they see at school etc.

Also, Indian groceries are in Irving and it's a pretty quick drive ( 15-20 min ). Most community events are in Frisco/Plano - but these are easy to drive to over weekends.

Do look into Fort Worth schools as well - we did not as we didn't have too much time to research and people at his work suggested Southlake.
One advantage of Grapevine/Southlake vs Fort Worth, it's more accessible to other suburbs. If you want to be part of Indian events/classes for kids, it will be easier than from Fort worth.

Good Luck !

Old 05-04-2018, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkodai View Post
Hi - Rush hours are pretty much what ChristieP said. My husband doesn't seem to mind the commute so much in the evening, he avoids morning commute as he leaves early.

The neighborhood we are is Winding Creek in grapevine. Schools zoned to this area are -
Johnson Elementary, Durham Imtermediate, Carroll Middle, everyone goes to Carroll High.
You can find the homes zoned to CISD using School district search- If you go to Engel Volkers dallas website, they have a search by school district. There are not too many affordable homes to rent in CISD.

We moved from Midwest and transition has been good - kids have adjusted in school without issues. Most people seem friendly. Although Southlake is reputed to be snobbish (I heard that when we moved ), haven't particularly noticed it. Occasionally kids will talk about fancy cars they see at school etc.

Also, Indian groceries are in Irving and it's a pretty quick drive ( 15-20 min ). Most community events are in Frisco/Plano - but these are easy to drive to over weekends.

Do look into Fort Worth schools as well - we did not as we didn't have too much time to research and people at his work suggested Southlake.
One advantage of Grapevine/Southlake vs Fort Worth, it's more accessible to other suburbs. If you want to be part of Indian events/classes for kids, it will be easier than from Fort worth.

Good Luck !
That's very helpful thank you. We are in the early stages so I will report back as and if things progress. Most of my days will probably start around 630 am from home (or sooner if I can find a gym closer to work and get ready there)..so I am little less concerned about the AMs.My wife isn't given it will take us away from her family and also we live closer to the water so she is freaking out about the heat rightly so!!

Will check out the website you mentioned.

Best,

Old 05-04-2018, 01:49 PM

6,235 posts, read 4,438,729 times
About Fort Worth schools...

My husband's company is headquartered in Fort Worth although he doesn't work at HQ. Anyway, they have told him that people who work there either live in Fort Worth and send their kids to private schools, or make the commute from Keller, Southlake, Grapevine, etc.

As for your wife worrying about the heat, would you consider a house with a pool? That helps a lot.

Old 05-04-2018, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
About Fort Worth schools...

My husband's company is headquartered in Fort Worth although he doesn't work at HQ. Anyway, they have told him that people who work there either live in Fort Worth and send their kids to private schools, or make the commute from Keller, Southlake, Grapevine, etc.

As for your wife worrying about the heat, would you consider a house with a pool? That helps a lot.
Thanks. One of the benefits of living in Grapevine/Southlake around there (based on my research) is that it's closer to our cultural activities. Not that we are super active but don't mind being involved.

We would definitely consider a house with a pool!

Old 05-05-2018, 01:45 AM

205 posts, read 165,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbound1 View Post

We would definitely consider a house with a pool!
That is probably good. We are under contract to buy a house in Colleyville. DH didn't really want a pool (we had had pools in a couple of prior houses and he didn't want the upkeep). I didn't really mind having one though. Anyway, pretty quickly he gave up on the idea of nixing a pool because it the majority of the houses we were interested in came with pools. I do prefer ones with a pool/spa combo to ones with just the pool (and that is what we ended up with). But, if you reject the idea of a pool it really does cut your available inventory by a lot (at least when buying).

Old 05-05-2018, 09:40 AM

1,993 posts, read 1,235,561 times
Whether or not it cuts your available inventory depends on where you're buying and what price point you're looking at. When we bought our home current home we were looking at homes priced between 500-800k. Most had a pool. When we searched for our first home in 2002 and wished to spend less than 200k pools were much rarer.

Old 05-05-2018, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koshka2 View Post
That is probably good. We are under contract to buy a house in Colleyville. DH didn't really want a pool (we had had pools in a couple of prior houses and he didn't want the upkeep). I didn't really mind having one though. Anyway, pretty quickly he gave up on the idea of nixing a pool because it the majority of the houses we were interested in came with pools. I do prefer ones with a pool/spa combo to ones with just the pool (and that is what we ended up with). But, if you reject the idea of a pool it really does cut your available inventory by a lot (at least when buying).
We haven't had a pool in the backyard. What are the approx. monthly/annual costs to upkeep?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcualum View Post
Whether or not it cuts your available inventory depends on where you're buying and what price point you're looking at. When we bought our home current home we were looking at homes priced between 500-800k. Most had a pool. When we searched for our first home in 2002 and wished to spend less than 200k pools were much rarer.
Understood. The house that we are researching and the area(s) we are looking at are 700k+

Old 05-05-2018, 05:00 PM

6,235 posts, read 4,438,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koshka2 View Post
Just MO...

There is no question that a pool/spa combo is much prettier to look at. The designs are truly gorgeous.

However, if you actually use your spa for hydrotherapy, a stand alone hot tub is much better in terms of jets and seating.

Also, if your spa is separate, you can use bromine instead of chlorine, which is much gentler on the skin and eyes. Bromine is not practical for swimming pools but is better for spas.

It is also less expensive (I'm told) to keep a hot tub at temperature on your electricity than to heat it up with gas each time.

So, there are adavantages to a stand alone hot tub.

Last edited by calgirlinnc; 05-05-2018 at 05:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth