U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2018, 08:43 PM

142 posts, read 216,887 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,

I have read through few posts here but wanted to start a new thread so apologies in advance. We (1 + wife + 5 year old) are considering a job in Fort Worth.... Wife stays home. Our goal are a safe community, not a horrible commute to work, and good schools a must.

Not like I have the job but want to have as much information as I can collect as we go through the process of deciding. We are currently in California and since we don't have any connections in Dallas/Fort Worth it wouldn't be bad to be closer to Indian neighborhood. Based on what I read Vally Ranch keeps coming up but I wanted to check in here if you guys have any thoughts. The other area that comes up in my research is Southlake. I accidentally posted a thread in the Dallas forum and one immediate feedback was the commute may be terrible.

If you need further information happy to provide. Location for the job is close to the convention center

Thanks!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2018, 09:02 PM

10,505 posts, read 22,346,689 times
So you’re looking in downtown Fort Worth.
What’s your budget? Entry level in Southlake is $600k.

I’d only recommend Valley Ranch if you’re looking for a Desi community. Otherwise, there are closer cities that are just as good.

Old 04-27-2018, 10:38 PM

Thx.

Initially, we will rent to figure out what works for us. I think to rank...the school and safety are more important than desi community....what other cities would you recommend if those two are the main things (along with commute being respectable)?

re: buying; I have no idea what a good range is. Coming from California (which is the only comparative I have) I would say 650k ..not sure if that is reasonable. But when it comes to buying I really need to figure out how much more do I pay for property taxes, home insurance vs. California. The point I am trying to make is, I want to be sure that I understand the costs and be there for a year so I can finalize what area i want to live in.

Old 04-28-2018, 07:11 AM

You’ll be shocked what you can get here for $650k compared to California!

Look in NE Tarrant County north of 183: Hurst, North Richland Hills, possibly Colleyville. All of those cities have good schools and will be a reasonable commute. Personally I think the commute from Keller and north Fort Worth on I35W is not good, but many people are willing to do it.

Old 04-28-2018, 09:09 AM

1,997 posts, read 1,236,968 times
The Indian community in Fort Worth is small but growing. The largest temple in the Metroplex is in Irving where the largest Indian community is. A temple was started several years ago in Fort Worth. I've never been there though. I don't have any information about the Indian Muslim and Christian communities. The best shopping is by far in Irving as well as are the best restaurants. For example, there's a Saravanaa Bhavan in Irving. There's a few Indian restaurants in Fort Worth. There's also some in Arlington which is east of Fort Worth and west of Irving. There are some Indian groceries in Fort Worth and Arlington but the best are in Irving.

If you want proximity to the Tarrant County Indian community and an easy commute to Fort Worth I recommend Arlington over Fort Worth. There's Indians attracted to the local university as well as closer proximity to the huge Indian community in Irving. You can easily get a nicer home than you can afford for much less there. Your best choices are to either buy a home within the Martin High School attendance zone or send your children to the large private school there called Oakridge. With the money you save on housing you probably can afford private school depending on how many kids you have. There are many Indian families there according to my friends whose children attend the school.

I wouldn't recommend Southlake. The commute from Southlake to downtown Fort Worth is very unpleasant and housing there is very expensive. There is also pressure to keep up financially which adds to the cost of living there. There are Indians there but not Indian community amenities if those matter to you.

I am not Indian but my husband is FWIW.

Old 04-28-2018, 01:23 PM

Thanks for the info. I was looking at the mentioned areas (Hurst, North Richland Hills, Colleyville and Arlington) but I struggled to find something (on redfin) that is attached to good public schools (my son is 5 yo so its K-5 for starters)..unless I am not searching for it right. The schools that come up are around 5/10 which isn't what I am looking for.

I also checked out some more on Oakridge; for now I am looking at public schools but again, I don't know much about Dallas i.e., how well the public school system is funded etc.

Old 04-28-2018, 02:06 PM

Hurst is in the HEB ISD.
NRH is in Birdville ISD.
Colleyville is in Grapevine-Colleyville ISD.
Of those three, Colleyville is one of the best in DFW. The others are also good, just not as good as GCISD. I’m not sure where you are looking for those ratings...

Old 04-28-2018, 04:57 PM

1,997 posts, read 1,236,968 times
Where in Fort Worth is the job? Depending on where it is Grapevine-Colleyville can be a pretty unpleasant commute. Fort Worth is almost 350 sq miles.

Old 04-28-2018, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcualum View Post
Where in Fort Worth is the job? Depending on where it is Grapevine-Colleyville can be a pretty unpleasant commute. Fort Worth is almost 350 sq miles.
It is around the Fort Worth Convention Center downtown FW. Appreciate any input.

Old 04-28-2018, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Hurst is in the HEB ISD.
NRH is in Birdville ISD.
Colleyville is in Grapevine-Colleyville ISD.
Of those three, Colleyville is one of the best in DFW. The others are also good, just not as good as GCISD. I’m not sure where you are looking for those ratings...
I will check it out. Must have been doing something wrong. thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth