U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2018, 07:07 AM

5,258 posts, read 3,155,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe333 View Post
It's so strange to me how people think the front range is scenic. I do think the mountains in the background are scenic here, but the actual front range itself almost has a post-apocalyptic or Mad Max world look to it much of the year with how dusty, dry, and brown it can be.

On my visits to DFW, I've met some very very friendly, sweet people. I think that's going to be a perk to the area as well. Denverites aren't unfriendly, but I wouldn't necessarily call them especially warm, open, and friendly. It's more neutral in some way, but they do have a live and let live, independent kind of vibe and that is nice. They can be more reserved and aloof. The Dallasites engage in light, fun, friendly social banter and I miss that. Looking forward to being around that again.

The Front Range is not all that scenic. Sure, there are some nice views in the distance. In most of my trips to Colorado, I've just flown into Denver International, and headed west on Interstate 70 to the mountain towns. That drive starts to get pretty at the end of the Denver metro area, once you go uphill starting in Golden. Denver itself isn't all that pretty, but it is a very functional place. While I enjoy vacationing in the various Colorado mountain towns, I don't think I could live in Vail at this point in my life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkinpie1981 View Post
We are thinking about moving to DFW area from Colorado. I know it's probably will be very different but can you describe me lifestyles of DFW residents. Are there amazing restaurants, concerts,exhibits? How easy is to go for a night out from Fort Worth to Dallas, how do you do it? Uber? How close are the beaches? What are the best resorts near by for a weekend gateway?
Thank you in advance!

The restaurants in both Dallas and Fort Worth don't leave much to be desired. Major concert acts come to DFW all the time. There are art exhibits in both cities.

Conceptually, it is easy to go between Dallas and Fort Worth, but in practicality, you'll probably not go much between the two cities. It is 33 miles from Downtown Dallas to Downtown Fort Worth. That's an easy drive to make on a weekend morning with no traffic. However, if you want to try to make that drive at 6:30 PM on a Tuesday, it's not all that great. I have lived in Dallas since 2011, and I have not been to Fort Worth since 2013. I went to Fort Worth 3 times between 2011-2013, all on weekends when I had some extra time, but it's not something I can imagine would be done regularly. While my no visits to FW for 5 years might be considered an extreme case, I would think that most people that don't commute between those two cities would only go to the one that they don't live in about 3-4 times a year.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2018, 10:25 AM

937 posts, read 559,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campeador View Post
This detail reflects that you likely fit better with DFW than CO.
Maybe. While a very outdoorsy person loves to pack up their car with all of their technical gear and head into the mountains for the day or weekend, I'm just not that motivated to do it. I don't think I carry the right archetype for that (Jung's archetypes) which tends to be more of a warrior type of personality who thrives on intense challenges. I'm more excited about hopping a flight somewhere like NYC and tooling around the city for the weekend walking through parks and people watching and then trying out nice restaurants.

I used to be outdoorsy long ago, but upon honest self reflection later on, I realized it was mostly an elaborate mating strategy because I was attracted to very outdoorsy males versus the actual outdoors itself.

Old 05-14-2018, 12:47 PM

1,053 posts, read 1,419,899 times
Quote:
Maybe. While a very outdoorsy person loves to pack up their car with all of their technical gear and head into the mountains for the day or weekend, I'm just not that motivated to do it. I don't think I carry the right archetype for that (Jung's archetypes) which tends to be more of a warrior type of personality who thrives on intense challenges. I'm more excited about hopping a flight somewhere like NYC and tooling around the city for the weekend walking through parks and people watching and then trying out nice restaurants.

I used to be outdoorsy long ago, but upon honest self reflection later on, I realized it was mostly an elaborate mating strategy because I was attracted to very outdoorsy males versus the actual outdoors itself.
That's interesting; I bet there's plenty of folks that move to outdoors meccas like Denver and come to the same realization as you have. In my case, I really miss living in the mountains (WA, Southern Spain, Southern Mexico), but I've adapted to TX. It's the first place I've ever ridden on a bike trainer! It's just that kind of place.

BTW: if you could talk to Jung, he'd tell you there isn't a certain archetype to be 'outdoorsy' (and lots of technical gear isn't a requisite for getting out in the wild for a stroll). A point that he lamented about modern Western societies was our lost connection to the Earth. If you haven't yet, I'd recommend reading his book "The Earth has a Soul".

Old 05-14-2018, 08:47 PM

Quote:
That's interesting; I bet there's plenty of folks that move to outdoors meccas like Denver and come to the same realization as you have. In my case, I really miss living in the mountains (WA, Southern Spain, Southern Mexico), but I've adapted to TX. It's the first place I've ever ridden on a bike trainer! It's just that kind of place.

BTW: if you could talk to Jung, he'd tell you there isn't a certain archetype to be 'outdoorsy' (and lots of technical gear isn't a requisite for getting out in the wild for a stroll). A point that he lamented about modern Western societies was our lost connection to the Earth. If you haven't yet, I'd recommend reading his book "The Earth has a Soul".
I was mostly friends with very outdoorsy people in college several of whom were Outward Bound or NOLS instructors during the summers. Some of them went on to start their own expedition outfits. They were hard core folk having all kinds of avalanche safety certifications, special backcountry rescue skills, Wilderness EMT trainings, advanced technical skills. Looking back, I do think many of them had more of a Warrior archetype going on with really loving to face and surmount intense physical challenges and helping others to do the same. I actually don't have this at all. If there was a pleasure hound archetype who likes taking things slowly, enjoyably, and easy, that would be me.

I was really seduced by this whole subculture and loved hanging out with these hard core Warrior people, but it took finding myself on day three of an Outward Bound staff training to realize the gig was up. We were all due for a seven mile staff fun-run at five am through the mountains, and I shamefully skipped this event. With the staff gone, I quickly packed my stuff and slinked into some office to call my boyfriend at the time to meet me at the edge of the woods. I stayed hidden in a bush by the road and practically dove into the car when he pulled up, and we sped off. Yes, it was sacrilege. I abandoned a coveted Outward Bound staff training slot and fled.

Well, if you are riding your bike on a trainer then I highly recommend Peloton! I'm addicted to it and I'm guessing you could download the app and combine it with your trainer. Yes, I can see how one who loves the mountains would terribly miss that entire subculture and vibe that can go along with it in addition to the recreation itself. I don't think DFW is necessarily my dream locale, but I've already noticed some nice aspects to it. I plan to travel a good bit just to get out and experience different places and their vibes so DFW will be a good home base.

"The Earth has a Soul" sounds right up my alley! I will check it out! Thanks!

Last edited by Chloe333; 05-14-2018 at 09:01 PM..

Old 05-15-2018, 08:26 AM

Quote:
I was mostly friends with very outdoorsy people in college several of whom were Outward Bound or NOLS instructors during the summers. Some of them went on to start their own expedition outfits. They were hard core folk having all kinds of avalanche safety certifications, special backcountry rescue skills, Wilderness EMT trainings, advanced technical skills. Looking back, I do think many of them had more of a Warrior archetype going on with really loving to face and surmount intense physical challenges and helping others to do the same. I actually don't have this at all. If there was a pleasure hound archetype who likes taking things slowly, enjoyably, and easy, that would be me.

I was really seduced by this whole subculture and loved hanging out with these hard core Warrior people, but it took finding myself on day three of an Outward Bound staff training to realize the gig was up. We were all due for a seven mile staff fun-run at five am through the mountains, and I shamefully skipped this event. With the staff gone, I quickly packed my stuff and slinked into some office to call my boyfriend at the time to meet me at the edge of the woods. I stayed hidden in a bush by the road and practically dove into the car when he pulled up, and we sped off. Yes, it was sacrilege. I abandoned a coveted Outward Bound staff training slot and fled.

Well, if you are riding your bike on a trainer then I highly recommend Peloton! I'm addicted to it and I'm guessing you could download the app and combine it with your trainer. Yes, I can see how one who loves the mountains would terribly miss that entire subculture and vibe that can go along with it in addition to the recreation itself. I don't think DFW is necessarily my dream locale, but I've already noticed some nice aspects to it. I plan to travel a good bit just to get out and experience different places and their vibes so DFW will be a good home base.

"The Earth has a Soul" sounds right up my alley! I will check it out! Thanks!
College is a great time to try on all kinds of different roles and figure out which ones work. There's no shame in having made a realization like the one you had! What would be a shame is to go through life having only tuned into a single, monotonous wavelength.

I used to do a fair bit of bike touring in remote corners of the world, so to ride a trainer now is sort of a tough pill to swallow. Most of my riding is still outdoors and we do have the decent Trinity Trail system here in Fort Worth, but life gets busy and the pollen does blow here... so getting a quick workout indoors is sometimes the best option.

DFW is an all around good place to live. I like the weather from October to April and I like that it's primarily sunny but that it rains enough to be green for most of the year. Being outdoorsy for me, now, has been channelled into things like gardening or weekend trips to state parks.

Good luck with your move!

Old 05-15-2018, 08:45 PM

Quote:

DFW is an all around good place to live. I like the weather from October to April and I like that it's primarily sunny but that it rains enough to be green for most of the year. Being outdoorsy for me, now, has been channelled into things like gardening or weekend trips to state parks.

Good luck with your move!
That's exactly what I plan to do....garden. Hoping to grow some veggies and roses there and need to figure out a good covering for a trellis on the patio. While people there may think it's not scenic, I really appreciate and love the trees and greenery. It feels more like home to me.

Old 05-16-2018, 08:13 AM

Quote:
That's exactly what I plan to do....garden. Hoping to grow some veggies and roses there and need to figure out a good covering for a trellis on the patio. While people there may think it's not scenic, I really appreciate and love the trees and greenery. It feels more like home to me.
Gardening is great fun, though I guess what I do now is more 'landscaping,' since I've left the vegetable growing aside. For your trellis, I'd recommend Carolina Jessamine, Confederate Jasmine, Cross vine or evergreen clematis. All are evergreens that do well in DFW.

Old 05-16-2018, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Gardening is great fun, though I guess what I do now is more 'landscaping,' since I've left the vegetable growing aside. For your trellis, I'd recommend Carolina Jessamine, Confederate Jasmine, Cross vine or evergreen clematis. All are evergreens that do well in DFW.
Thanks for the recommendations!

Old 05-16-2018, 09:46 PM

2,034 posts, read 1,275,568 times
We have a trumpet vine on the side of our patio that's proven to be very hearty. The blooms are gorgeous too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth