Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2018, 09:30 AM

16 posts, read 16,946 times

Advertisements

We are thinking about moving to DFW area from Colorado. I know it's probably will be very different but can you describe me lifestyles of DFW residents. Are there amazing restaurants, concerts,exhibits? How easy is to go for a night out from Fort Worth to Dallas, how do you do it? Uber? How close are the beaches? What are the best resorts near by for a weekend gateway?
Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2018, 09:26 PM

8,605 posts, read 14,888,798 times
DFW has all your garden variety amenities (malls, museums, restaurants, amusement parks, zoos, and sports and concert venues) covered. FWIW, none of the music venues in DFW are even remotely as cool as Red Rocks. Of course, the same thing could be argued about Jerryworld vs. Mile High.

General rule of thumb - whether it be a concert or a touring company production of a broadway play, DFW will likely be a stop.

Restaurant scene in DFW is much more diverse. If you're a foodie you won't be disappointed.

Fort Worth to Dallas is almost the exact same distance as Boulder to Denver. You could drive it, or you could take Uber. There's rail between Dallas and Fort Worth, but in general the public transportation in DFW is not as good as it is here. For instance - something like 40% of DART's customers do not live within walking distance of a DART stop, and the 400,000 residents of Arlington have no comprehensive public transportation at all.

Where DFW is lacks in terms of amenities are scenery and outdoorsiness. Sure, there are lakes, but unless you have a boat they're kinda overrated. IMNSHO the water is gross. It's really murky, and because of all the algae in it you'll feel like you're covered in pond scum when you get out. If you're gonna swim, stick to a pool. Camping, hiking, and biking options are bush league compared to what's available here.

Beaches - Galveston is about 4 hours, Port Aransas is 6 hours, and South Padre Island is 8 hours from Fort Worth.

Closest beach resort that people go to is Gulf Shores, AL, aka "The Redneck Riviera." It's about 10 hours from Fort Worth.

Closest ski resort is Cloudcroft, NM, and it's an 8 hour drive.

Last edited by bluescreen73; 05-04-2018 at 10:30 PM..

Old 05-06-2018, 08:31 AM

Thank you bluescreen!
I assume you lived there and now live in Denver area. How would describe Fort Worth? Is Fort Worth even remotely like Boulder? Where did you like living better: Dallas/Fort Worth or Denver?

Old 05-06-2018, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkinpie1981 View Post
Thank you bluescreen!
I assume you lived there and now live in Denver area. How would describe Fort Worth? Is Fort Worth even remotely like Boulder? Where did you like living better: Dallas/Fort Worth or Denver?
I'm from Colorado, but lived in DFW for over a decade.

Fort Worth is pretty much the antithesis of Boulder. It's bigger, sprawlier, and considerably more conservative than Boulder. The only city in DFW that feels like Boulder is Denton, and even that's a bit of a stretch.

I prefer the Front Range. DFW isn't very scenic, the summers (June-September) are really lousy, and outside of the lakes it's not even remotely as outdoorsy as Denver/Boulder. If spending a lot of time outdoors isn't your thing you may love it. YMMV.

Last edited by bluescreen73; 05-06-2018 at 09:12 AM..

Old 05-09-2018, 06:24 PM

937 posts, read 743,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
I prefer the Front Range. DFW isn't very scenic, the summers (June-September) are really lousy, and outside of the lakes it's not even remotely as outdoorsy as Denver/Boulder. If spending a lot of time outdoors isn't your thing you may love it. YMMV.
It's so strange to me how people think the front range is scenic. I do think the mountains in the background are scenic here, but the actual front range itself almost has a post-apocalyptic or Mad Max world look to it much of the year with how dusty, dry, and brown it can be. I'm moving to DFW in June, and look forward to being in a place with more trees and greenery again. The summers will be hell, but I grew up in the Southeast and can handle it. My new place has a pool so that will help. It does get extremely hot here in CO in the summer, and I stopped running here in the summer because it is so easy to get extremely dehydrated with the intense, scorching sun beating down and dry air. I absolutely think Colorado has very nice weather the rest of the year though, and that's one of its best perks. My new place is surrounded by trees and forests and I'm really relieved about this. I can't wait to hear bugs chirping again. I don't mean to be negative about Denver, but I've kind of thought of the front range and the actual CO mountains as two very different realities. I definitely get how cool it would be to live in Boulder or the mountains. but the actual front range itself doesn't do much for me personally.

On my visits to DFW, I've met some very very friendly, sweet people. I think that's going to be a perk to the area as well. Denverites aren't unfriendly, but I wouldn't necessarily call them especially warm, open, and friendly. It's more neutral in some way, but they do have a live and let live, independent kind of vibe and that is nice. They can be more reserved and aloof. The Dallasites engage in light, fun, friendly social banter and I miss that. Looking forward to being around that again.

Last edited by Chloe333; 05-09-2018 at 06:46 PM..

Old 05-09-2018, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe333 View Post
It's so strange to me how people think the front range is scenic. I do think the mountains in the background are scenic here, but the actual front range itself almost has a post-apocalyptic or Mad Max world look to it much of the year with how dusty, dry, and brown it can be. I'm moving to DFW in June, and look forward to being in a place with more trees and greenery again. The summers will be hell, but I grew up in the Southeast and can handle it. My new place has a pool so that will help. It does get extremely hot here in CO in the summer, and I stopped running here in the summer because it is so easy to get extremely dehydrated with the intense, scorching sun beating down and dry air. I absolutely think Colorado has very nice weather the rest of the year though, and that's one of its best perks. My new place is surrounded by trees and forests and I'm really relieved about this. I can't wait to hear bugs chirping again. I don't mean to be negative about Denver, but I've kind of thought of the front range and the actual CO mountains as two very different realities. I definitely get how cool it would be to live in Boulder or the mountains. but the actual front range itself doesn't do much for me personally.

On my visits to DFW, I've met some very very friendly, sweet people. I think that's going to be a perk to the area as well. Denverites aren't unfriendly, but I wouldn't necessarily call them especially warm, open, and friendly. It's more neutral in some way, but they do have a live and let live, independent kind of vibe and that is nice. They can be more reserved and aloof. The Dallasites engage in light, fun, friendly social banter and I miss that. Looking forward to being around that again.
Best of luck in Dallas. I prefer interesting terrain over trees, and, quite frankly, DFW has almost none. It's like Central Kansas or Nebraska with more greenery. There isn't a real mountain within 350 miles.

TBH if you find Denver to be hot you're in for a seriously rude awakening (even if you're used to the sultry southern summers). DFW has nearly 3 times more 90-degree days than Denver and 18 times more 100-degree days - and it's a humid heat meaning copious amounts of sweat and very little cooling off at night. It's fairly commonplace in July and August for the temp to still be hovering around 90 degrees at 10 or 11pm. My guess is your AC will be on longer in the last two weeks of June than mine will be on all summer.

On a related note, enjoy the pool. You'll get a lot of use out of it.

I personally don't mind the flatness of the Front Range because if it's 90 in Denver I can hop in the car and drive 75 minutes to the west and the air temperature will be 15-20 degrees cooler. Not possible in DFW unless a dry line passes over (and that usually means thunderstorms).

One more thing. If you've got hiking boots sell them here before you leave. You won't need them in DFW. 99% of the trails there suck. DFW is to hiking as Denver is to deep-sea fishing.

I've been gone for 7 years now and haven't once thought "gee if I'd only stayed."

Last edited by bluescreen73; 05-09-2018 at 09:44 PM..

Old 05-09-2018, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Best of luck in Dallas. I prefer interesting terrain over trees, and, quite frankly, DFW has almost none. It's like Central Kansas or Nebraska with more greenery. There isn't a real mountain within 350 miles.

TBH if you find Denver to be hot you're in for a seriously rude awakening (even if you're used to the sultry southern summers). DFW has nearly 3 times more 90-degree days than Denver and 18 times more 100-degree days - and it's a humid heat meaning copious amounts of sweat and very little cooling off at night. It's fairly commonplace in July and August for the temp to still be hovering around 90 degrees at 10 or 11pm. My guess is your AC will be on longer in the last two weeks of June than mine will be on all summer.

On a related note, enjoy the pool. You'll get a lot of use out of it.

I personally don't mind the flatness of the Front Range because if it's 90 in Denver I can hop in the car and drive 75 minutes to the west and the air temperature will be 15-20 degrees cooler. Not possible in DFW unless a dry line passes over (and that usually means thunderstorms).

One more thing. If you've got hiking boots sell them here before you leave. You won't need them in DFW. 99% of the trails there suck. DFW is to hiking as Denver is to deep-sea fishing.

I've been gone for 7 years now and haven't once thought "gee if I'd only stayed."
I get that Dallas isn't Shangril-la but I don't think Denver is either. That's why I'm not too worried about leaving. Both places have their pros and cons like most places. I don't like hiking in the Denver area. It is dry, dusty, and rocky like a Mad Max environment and I do Peloton indoors now for exercise because I don't enjoy the environment here. It would be great to live in Breck or Aspen but those places are worlds apart from life on the front range.

Last edited by Chloe333; 05-09-2018 at 10:23 PM..

Old 05-10-2018, 10:26 AM

Thank you so much for responses. I must agree about Front range and how it's sometimes perceived by people who never lived here. It's not that lush and green as a lot of people imagine, it is mostly brown in summer. It is nice now but the heat will pick up in July and everything will turn from green to brown. And don't forget about fires.
I love a lot about Colorado but one thing I don't love is how dry it is. I think my skin aged 10 years since I moved here despite constant application of expensive creams. I grew up on the seaside and definitely miss the humidity.
Well we are going to check the area in June and will decide.

Old 05-11-2018, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkinpie1981 View Post
Thank you so much for responses. I must agree about Front range and how it's sometimes perceived by people who never lived here. It's not that lush and green as a lot of people imagine, it is mostly brown in summer. It is nice now but the heat will pick up in July and everything will turn from green to brown. And don't forget about fires.
I love a lot about Colorado but one thing I don't love is how dry it is. I think my skin aged 10 years since I moved here despite constant application of expensive creams. I grew up on the seaside and definitely miss the humidity.
Well we are going to check the area in June and will decide.
My hands have aged in four years here in Denver much faster than they should have! Boooo!

Old 05-13-2018, 09:17 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,696,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe333 View Post
I do Peloton indoors now for exercise because I don't enjoy the environment here.
This detail reflects that you likely fit better with DFW than CO.

For folks who aren't super into outdoor recreation, DFW is a fine place to be. For those of us who grew up in the outdoors, it can be a tricky transition, though.

Overall, I find the culture here to be very dependent on man-made comforts and places like controlled climate, swimming pools, etc.; it's also very auto-centric/ obsessive with all that this implies (sprawl, bad air, traffic noise, suburban/freeway aesthetics).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth