U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2018, 04:34 PM

2,005 posts, read 1,240,537 times

Advertisements

I just learned to my alarm that my kids' schools start back later then they have in the past. One starts back August 22nd and one returns right after Labor Day. Since it's too hot at that point to throw them outside all day I'm looking for some day camp options. Does anyone know of some good options that will offer day camps in August?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2018, 09:57 AM

637 posts, read 897,944 times
Try the zoo and the science and history museum. I think YMCAs offer day camps in the summers and I believe they're pretty flexible about picking and choosing weeks.

Old 06-02-2018, 09:51 PM

32,505 posts, read 50,982,290 times
Most of the camps have already registered
I would be surprised if you can find something in the better regarded camps now

Do they go to private school that they have a late start?

Old 06-03-2018, 07:26 AM

You might consider special pay-for "schools" meant for activities like coding or math

Someone we know in Austin has her son (8 I think now) going to a Percy Jackson "myths and gods" type of camp where there are various role-playing adults on site who have taken on identities of God/goddesses/characters in Jackson's YA novels...
It sounds wonderful for an imaginative child into those books or mythology but have not heard there are any in DFW area

Old 06-03-2018, 08:35 AM

2,005 posts, read 1,240,537 times
They go to private schools. The Percy Jackson camp is offered by the independent bookstore BookPeople. It's supposed to be amazing. It fills up as soon as registration opens in the late fall. I'm thinking about signing my older son up for it next summer. He absolutely loves Percy Jackson.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Old 06-03-2018, 11:19 AM

Yes--didn't know about it before she mentioned on FB...
Percy Jackson books didn't exist when my son was young but he would have loved it

I am sure her son will too

And from some things I saw online there are kids who come from out of the country for those camps--
They have them in other areas--Brooklyn and Wichita Falls were two besides Austin's I found
You would think that Dallas would be prime spot with all the money and yuppies wanting their kids to do something unique...

But from the website there is lot of work (needless to say there is for any camp) and lot of people are involved...chariot races with pedicabs being one...many volunteers/paid camp members who have their own half-blood story line---
So much like Civil War reenactors or those with Renaissance Fair characters....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth