U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2018, 09:52 PM

4 posts, read 2,042 times

Advertisements

I have a weird dilemma with 2 puppies I'm fostering. Here's the scenario-

Momma dog was struck and killed by a car, resulting in 14 puppies being turned over to a shelter. 9 were picked up by this rescue that claims to focus on saving "code red" dogs. (We were told that another charity had already taken the other 5.) This rescue organization I am fostering through apparently won't allow foster parents or any locals to adopt them and instead they ship them to the midwest where they are adopted out for much higher fees (around $450 vs $90 at the original shelter.) In order to attract foster parents quickly and be able to get the dogs from the shelter that day, this group posted on NextDoor that 14 puppies needed foster homes today and would otherwise be euthanized. The rescue said that there was no option for them to be adopted, because the pups were too young (there was a lot of interest locally, but they insisted it wasn't possible.)

I have now learned that most of what they told us was not true. These puppies were never code red, the shelter was not going to euthanize them, and in fact some of the other pups had been adopted by families prior to this rescue picking up the rest. I'm upset, feel like the rescue is misleading people to solicit volunteers and donations, and I wouldn't have gotten involved in this if I knew the truth. My strong preference would have been that these babies be in homes as opposed to in my house for 3 weeks then shipped up north, but the rescue made us believe they were their only option. I also spoke with a neighbor that had a separate nightmare experience with fostering through this group as well.

I'm wondering what others think about this. Am I overreacting? My concern is mostly for the dogs, and I have a huge amount of stress about giving them back to people who lost my trust on this. My other concern is the heartache being caused to me and my neighbors after being emotionally involved in a situation we wouldn't have necessarily supported if we had full, accurate information.

Is there anything I can do about it?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2018, 06:40 PM

2,307 posts, read 6,780,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonka214 View Post

Momma dog was struck and killed by a car, resulting in 14 puppies being turned over to a shelter. 9 were picked up by this rescue that claims to focus on saving "code red" dogs. (We were told that another charity had already taken the other 5.) This rescue organization I am fostering through apparently won't allow foster parents or any locals to adopt them and instead they ship them to the midwest where they are adopted out for much higher fees (around $450 vs $90 at the original shelter.) In order to attract foster parents quickly and be able to get the dogs from the shelter that day, this group posted on NextDoor that 14 puppies needed foster homes today and would otherwise be euthanized. The rescue said that there was no option for them to be adopted, because the pups were too young (there was a lot of interest locally, but they insisted it wasn't possible.)

I have now learned that most of what they told us was not true. These puppies were never code red, the shelter was not going to euthanize them, and in fact some of the other pups had been adopted by families prior to this rescue picking up the rest. I'm upset, feel like the rescue is misleading people to solicit volunteers and donations, and I wouldn't have gotten involved in this if I knew the truth. My strong preference would have been that these babies be in homes as opposed to in my house for 3 weeks then shipped up north, but the rescue made us believe they were their only option. I also spoke with a neighbor that had a separate nightmare experience with fostering through this group as well.

I'm wondering what others think about this. Am I overreacting? My concern is mostly for the dogs, and I have a huge amount of stress about giving them back to people who lost my trust on this. My other concern is the heartache being caused to me and my neighbors after being emotionally involved in a situation we wouldn't have necessarily supported if we had full, accurate information.

Contact your local SPCA and provide them the information about this "Rescue" operation. They may already be aware of all the scams in the area. If they have no information then contact your local Law Enforcement and discuss it with them as well. They may be aware of a scam occurring. Otherwise local LEO can open an investigation if you open a complaint and provide them all the information you have.

What you are describing sounds like a scam and at the very least fraudulent misrepresentation.

Old 06-22-2018, 04:15 PM

32,545 posts, read 51,077,194 times
Agree and I wonder if the dogs are actually being sold for reasons like used in dog fighting
They are just using you to raise them until they are more viable for illegal means

I think this sounds like one big scam/theft ring
Definitely call SPCA but also your local city animal shelter--the one that supposedly was going to euthanize them and tell them about it

The police may be interested but guess SPCA will contact local police...
Did this come through some Facebook Group?
How did YOU find out about it and become a caretaker?

Old 08-26-2018, 11:16 PM

138 posts, read 84,574 times
Sounds like a Scam to me, contact your local animal control with documents in hand, if that fails try the SPCA

Old 08-27-2018, 03:02 PM

234 posts, read 210,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonka214 View Post

I stopped reading at the part I bolded. This is NOT a legitimate rescue group. It is someone posing as a rescue group to make money off of dogs. Disentangle yourself from them IMMEDIATELY. You can keep the dogs. They are not going to pay a lawyer to fight you for them. Believe me, they will walk away if you stand up to them. Again, this is NOT a legitimate rescue!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth