U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 08:02 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,173,264 times

Advertisements

There is nothing to look down on in Crawford Farms or Heritage or even VOWs esp for your price point. all those communities offer amienties and have many young children.

Yes they are bulit up and near the more industrial area (377) but that area is growing. Crawford farms is the smallest in terms of "mater planned communites" and that I like, (it's my favoite ofthe 3) But Heriage has TONs of amienties and has a good rep.

VOWs is having problems due to financing etc... I don't know what the future holds for it. But you have houses that rnage in price from 130-300+ that's a huge mix (good if you are paying 150, but not so goo...IMO if you are paying 325k)

My neighoborhood is unfortuantely out of your range, this is our 4th house and we are in our 40's....(different stage of life)

But some of the neighborhoods around me have houses under 200k some may need work but they have community pools, playgrounds, walking trails etc...
Carriage gate is one, Willlis cove is another (we are in Keller) and Heatherwood?
also Hidden oaks is beautiful (don't know about a pool though) and Quail valley (no pool) but you are right down the street from the Keller pointe which is a wonderful community center.

but these houses will be smaller and they won't have all the bells and whistles that you will get with a newer home in Heritage.

Seriously... Heritage is very nice, I would have probably moved there if I had smaller kids and was looking under 250k. The pools and parks look so very nice.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2008, 09:14 AM

4,830 posts, read 6,515,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5stones View Post
There is nothing to look down on in Crawford Farms or Heritage or even VOWs esp for your price point. all those communities offer amienties and have many young children.

Yes they are bulit up and near the more industrial area (377) but that area is growing. Crawford farms is the smallest in terms of "mater planned communites" and that I like, (it's my favoite ofthe 3) But Heriage has TONs of amienties and has a good rep.

VOWs is having problems due to financing etc... I don't know what the future holds for it. But you have houses that rnage in price from 130-300+ that's a huge mix (good if you are paying 150, but not so goo...IMO if you are paying 325k)

My neighoborhood is unfortuantely out of your range, this is our 4th house and we are in our 40's....(different stage of life)

But some of the neighborhoods around me have houses under 200k some may need work but they have community pools, playgrounds, walking trails etc...
Carriage gate is one, Willlis cove is another (we are in Keller) and Heatherwood?
also Hidden oaks is beautiful (don't know about a pool though) and Quail valley (no pool) but you are right down the street from the Keller pointe which is a wonderful community center.

but these houses will be smaller and they won't have all the bells and whistles that you will get with a newer home in Heritage.

Seriously... Heritage is very nice, I would have probably moved there if I had smaller kids and was looking under 250k. The pools and parks look so very nice.
We live in Crawford Farms and I agree that out of the 3 they seem to offer the best of the 3. All 3 are great but I don't know that you could buy anything in Crawford Farms for $170,000. There are only 3 builders in Crawford Farms, Meritage, DR Horton and Wall. It is a pretty small community compared to Heritage and VOWS. I know Wall has nothing to offer in that price range. I don't think Meritage or DR Horton does either. There are a few foreclosures in the area that someone could probably pick up for $170,000 from the bank. I actually looked at one in the area. I think that would be the best bet if you can find them.

Old 04-01-2008, 09:02 PM

57 posts, read 200,990 times
When do you want to close? My wife & I are building in Chadwick Farms with Drees Homes. I just checked their website. They have a few homes that they may or may not discount down to where you want to be if you're ready to deal NOW, or there's a model that's around 2,000 square feet that you could build for close to $170k depending on what incentives they may be running. Great experience so far with them, we live in PA & just went down this past weekend to make our selections. If you lean that way let me know--just got a letter that they will give me a Lowe's gift card & also something for you!

We just liked the smaller feel to the community rather than some of the others that were mentioned. Where will your husband's job be--what would the commute be like? That could make a difference!

Old 05-12-2008, 07:56 PM

31 posts, read 120,429 times
bbwindy -- have you found anywhere with cheaper taxes?

Old 05-13-2008, 02:20 AM

1,379 posts, read 6,104,888 times
I thought up in Denton they were around 2%. Not sure exactly where though. Generally in the area, I have found taxes to be from 2.7% (unincorporated Fort Worth) to 3.5%.

Old 05-13-2008, 07:58 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,173,264 times
RE: property taxes from an old thread....
just do you homework before you put a contract down so you know how much you'll be paying. We used 3% as our "base" figure...some are lower and some are higer but 3% seemed a good avg. to quickly calculate.

Quote:
#2 11-28-2007, 03:30 PM
nsumner
Real Estate Agent Join Date: Nov 2007
878 posts, read 189,980 times

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Welcome to Texas ya'll.

We moved to Texas 13 years ago from Chicago and really like it a lot. We don't miss shoveling snow...

Here is the website where you can check for property taxes for specific properties.

Tarrant Appraisal District

The tax rate for the areas you are looking at is as follows per $100

Keller 2.68
Grapevine 2.58
Southlake 2.90
Roanoke 2.27
Fort Worth 3.02

As you may know, you don't have to pay income tax in Texas which helps tremendously with the property taxes... One other thing when you look a the taxes is we have what is called a homestead exemption. This is a discount you get on your taxes when the house is your primary residence. In order to qualify, you have to be the homeowner as of January 1st.

I hope you will enjoy the area. The people are friendly and the cost of living isn't too bad.

Actually living within the city of Fort Worth and being in Keller School district would put you at 3.11 which is even higher than Southlake at 2.90. Here is the exact breakdown:

City Tax: 0.860000
County Tax: 0.646277
ISD: 1.608000

Total: 3.11

Plano's tax rate is broken down like this:

city: 0.747173
Collin County: 0.332683
Plano ISD: 1.578400

total: 2.38

Note that a part of Plano is in the Frisco ISD, in that case Frisco ISD tax rate is 1.580000. Making the total tax 2.65

Also, another part of Plano is in Denton County with Lewisville ISD: that would make it

city: 0.747173
Denton Couny 0.231920
Lewisville ISD: 1.640000

Total Tax: 2.61
lots of good info is avail if you use the seach buttons.....

Old 06-27-2008, 11:32 AM

2 posts, read 7,334 times
We just bought a new home in Crawfard Farms from Meritage and awaiting for move in October. The salespeople were very nice and we felt very comfortable with dealing with them. My wife and I are from Los Angeles and when we went to look at communities (Heritage, Crawford Farms, Marshall Ridge, along with others and felt that Crawford Farms had what we wanted. We have 2 small children and one on the way and felt that they would enjoy growing up in this area. The Keller school district was important for us which Crawford Farms is apart of.

Old 06-29-2008, 07:13 AM

4,830 posts, read 6,515,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5todfw View Post
We just bought a new home in Crawfard Farms from Meritage and awaiting for move in October. The salespeople were very nice and we felt very comfortable with dealing with them. My wife and I are from Los Angeles and when we went to look at communities (Heritage, Crawford Farms, Marshall Ridge, along with others and felt that Crawford Farms had what we wanted. We have 2 small children and one on the way and felt that they would enjoy growing up in this area. The Keller school district was important for us which Crawford Farms is apart of.
We moved to Crawford Farms from Irvine, CA, Orange County, last November. Welcome to TX. We love it here. If you have any questions CA versus TX feel free to ask away.

Old 07-02-2008, 07:59 AM

295 posts, read 889,222 times
We looked at Crawford Farms but even though the community looks really nice, we were driven away by houses north of golden triangle. We had the hardest time selling a house in Indiana that was really nice but surrounded by older and not so nice homes. Potential buyers used that as leverage to low-ball us and well, we eventually had to pick the less-crappy offer. We ended up in Heritage-the Bluffs and this time we picked a home in the low-range of the spectrum so that -hopefully- at the time of selling we at least break even.

I don't miss shoveling snow but I do miss 1.3% property tax. What I don't understand is how we can pay close to 3% here but have the world's crappiest outer loop (820), and 4-way stops galore where we should have traffic lights? what else? oh yeah, I learned the other day I had to pay $50 a year to have a burglar alarm! and if the police get alerted and I happen to not have a permit, I get charged like $500...

Old 07-04-2008, 08:55 PM

16 posts, read 39,973 times
If you want to stay along I35 and the 377 area, Heritage is going to be one of the best neighborhoods with amenities in your price range. My daughter lives in North Richland Hills and just loves it. It was voted one of the best places to live in the United States last year (or the year before). Great parks and shopping, bike, riding trails, etc. For your price range I would look at existing homes. We had to leave the area a while ago (3 yrs.) but will move back when our jobs permit or we retire. There is nowhere better to raise your kids than Fort Worth. I hope you follow through with your move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth