Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2018, 02:06 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,358,188 times

Advertisements

Hi,
Nothing on paper yet but I have a verbal offer that will put me in office space right by Six Flags. Looking for ideas on where to look when I go on a scouting trip looking to rent or possibly buy a place that's within a decent commuting distance.

Vitals: 4 kids, ages 9-13 that will be needing good schools. We're a total of six so a decent sized house (+/-2000 sq. ft or larger), I'd like to be in the $250-$275k area.

I'm used to a 20-25 minute commute and I know I'm not going to get that lucky in a large metro area. I've been to DFW for training classes in the past, so I'm attune on the weather and the area to an extent.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Once I do get the official offer, things are going to move pretty fast.
Thx
Dave
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2018, 02:13 PM

11,819 posts, read 26,677,232 times
Look north on 360 in Euless/Grapevine area. You may have to fudge a little on your home cost to get there, though. Commuting south in the morning and north in the afternoon on 360 is totally against traffic and very easy. You could easily have that 20-25 minute commute!

Grapevine-Colleyville ISD schools are very good: Home - Grapevine-Colleyville Independent School District. Schools in Texas don't follow city limits, so be sure you verify which school district is the correct one. In Euless, stay north of Mid-Cities Blvd. The ideal neighborhood would be the "spice streets" in Euless: Bear Creek Elementary, Colleyville Middle, Colleyville Heritage HS.

Old 07-27-2018, 11:27 PM

That's good news on the traffic front. So, I take it that Arlington is more of a commuter town and people are leaving in the morning?

Old 07-28-2018, 07:17 AM

Not necessarily Arlington itself, but more like the suburbs south of it. There are few jobs there, so most people head north to work in the morning.

Old 07-30-2018, 08:35 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,524,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Look north on 360 in Euless/Grapevine area. You may have to fudge a little on your home cost to get there, though. Commuting south in the morning and north in the afternoon on 360 is totally against traffic and very easy. You could easily have that 20-25 minute commute!

Grapevine-Colleyville ISD schools are very good: Home - Grapevine-Colleyville Independent School District. Schools in Texas don't follow city limits, so be sure you verify which school district is the correct one. In Euless, stay north of Mid-Cities Blvd. The ideal neighborhood would be the "spice streets" in Euless: Bear Creek Elementary, Colleyville Middle, Colleyville Heritage HS.
He is not really going to be in GCISD for that money from what I have seen
HEBISD, Birdville in older sections but north of 820, maybe Arlington ISD itself in the area feeding into Martin zone--don't know that much about Arlington's property
I don't think Mansfield at that price point would be good choice

Anyplace SOUTH beside Mansfield that might work?

Old 07-30-2018, 09:33 AM

South heading northbound in the mornings/south in the evenings has horrible traffic coming up from Mansfield and south Arlington. 360 is almost literally a parking lot in that direction, and the construction at 30 makes it even worse on the side streets. (I'm driving opposite of that traffic, so I see it every day!)

There are a couple of neighborhoods in the north Euless section of GCISD that will work. I have friends who live in the Spice Streets around Baze Rd. south of Glade. If the OP could get a house there, that would be ideal!

There's also a nice one for lease in my neighborhood in Grapevine right now...

Old 07-30-2018, 10:56 AM

160 posts, read 193,547 times
Avoid Arlington schools. Look at either Birdville, Grapevine, Colleyville, or Southlake. You will have to stretch your budget to get those areas. 2000+ sq ft houses will probably be $300,000 plus.

I used to live right off 360/Post and Paddock. Traffic inst too bad except rush hour or if there is an accident. They are redoing the ramps from 360 onto I-30 so that should help with traffic in the area.

Old 07-30-2018, 11:31 AM

So, I've seen a few school districts near Fort Worth, would commuting from there be really bad? I don't remember housing prices in DFW being so high before but maybe it was the outskirts.

I should rephrase that, I'm used to paying about $1500/year property tax on a $300k house. If the property tax were that low in TX I could go up to $350-400k.

Old 07-30-2018, 11:50 AM

Do you mean Burleson and Benbrook south of Fort Worth? The schools are OK, but that won't be an easy commute to northeast Arlington.
Yes, DFW has just gone through a major housing market increase within the last 3 years. Home values have soared in almost all areas!

Southlake is totally out of your budget. Entry level is $500k. Don't even waste your time looking there.
Colleyville is probably out of the question, too. It starts around $400k. There are some older/smaller homes, but they usually get snatched up be developers to be torn down.

Old 07-30-2018, 01:02 PM

2,502 posts, read 2,176,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abelinkkin View Post
Avoid Arlington schools. Look at either Birdville, Grapevine, Colleyville, or Southlake. You will have to stretch your budget to get those areas. 2000+ sq ft houses will probably be $300,000 plus.

I used to live right off 360/Post and Paddock. Traffic inst too bad except rush hour or if there is an accident. They are redoing the ramps from 360 onto I-30 so that should help with traffic in the area.
That budget won't get anything in Southlake and I doubt it will go far in Grapevine or Colleyville. I vote for HEB or the Martin school zone in Arlington as realistic options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth