U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2018, 02:21 PM

1,178 posts, read 1,963,468 times

Advertisements

Are there any high school districts in the HEB area I should look at?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2018, 03:10 PM

155 posts, read 116,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous Dave View Post
I should rephrase that, I'm used to paying about $1500/year property tax on a $300k house. If the property tax were that low in TX I could go up to $350-400k.
The property taxes here are quite high, i guess to offset not having a state income tax. For reference, my house was appraised at approx. $240,000 this year and I paid around $4500 in taxes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous Dave View Post
Are there any high school districts in the HEB area I should look at?
Birdville or Trinity are two decent high schools in HEB. Trinity has a prominent football program if sports are important to you.

I would also advise you to look into Mansfield. It will be a bit farther away and probably more traffic but the school district is better then HEB.

Old 07-30-2018, 04:08 PM

6,763 posts, read 5,619,824 times
A house in Mansfield zoned to the original Mansfield High school (very important) will get you great schools and a lot of space but a tougher commute (maybe find an alternate route up Great SW Pkwy) because HWY 360 is a tough northbound ride in the morning and reverse in the evening.

https://www.ebby.com/property/234801...ield-tx-76063/

Old 07-30-2018, 04:13 PM

A house in SW Arlington zoned to Martin High School (very important) will get you a great location near shopping and great schools, expect 30-45 min drive due to traffic. Lots of traffic all over Arlington.

https://www.ebby.com/advanced-search...operty_Type/89

Old 07-30-2018, 04:18 PM

A house in the Grapevine Colleyville School District would be great but I did not find a single one in your budget with 4 bedrooms.

But, there are some choices in HEB (Hurst-Euless-Bedford) ISD and the location is a much better commute for NE Arlington

https://www.ebby.com/advanced-search...operty_Type/89

Old 07-30-2018, 06:54 PM

32,494 posts, read 50,965,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abelinkkin View Post
The property taxes here are quite high, i guess to offset not having a state income tax. For reference, my house was appraised at approx. $240,000 this year and I paid around $4500 in taxes.

Birdville or Trinity are two decent high schools in HEB. Trinity has a prominent football program if sports are important to you.

I would also advise you to look into Mansfield. It will be a bit farther away and probably more traffic but the school district is better then HEB.
Bell has strong teaching -- I wouldn't write it off just because the football program is not that great
Bell has great band and gymnastics programs I think
The IB program at Bell usually has better scores than the one at Trinity
My kids went to Trinity long time ago and I taught at Bell

Personally I think HEB outperforms Mansfield ISD and I think the stats prove it
HEB usually gets award each year for being proficient managing its tax dollars to get more bang for the buck

Birdville ISD has 3 high schools
HEB has 2
GCISD has 2
Arlington has 4 or 5 maybe--not sure
Keller (getting pretty far from the work site) has 3 high schools I think
Part of Colleyville city limits has Keller ISD zoned
Part of Hurst has Birdville vs HEB ISD
Two areas in Colleyville are in HEB ISD
Part of Euless is in GCISD and part in HEB
So you have to pay attention to the school info on MLS listings
Catchment zones w/in districts CAN change but are fairly stable

Old 07-31-2018, 08:22 AM

1,997 posts, read 1,237,751 times
Commuting to NE Arlington from Mansfield will be awful. 360 is a parking lot and the traffic through the middle of Arlington is awful not mention the train line that bisects the city. If you don't choose a route that has an under or overpass around the train tracks you can get screwed. If you live in the Martin area though you can take Duncan Perry/Green Oaks to NE Arlington which moves pretty quickly and has an overpass over the train tracks.

Old 08-02-2018, 01:38 PM

I'm not so much put off by the housing costs as the property tax. I'll be taking a small pay cut initially, but I will be flush with cash. I wonder if they'd let me pay 2-3 years ahead on my property tax at the current rate... kinda like the DMV where I live where it's cheaper to pay for multiple years...

I'm half joking on that but it would be nice. And while I'm on the subject of the DMV, how are the registration fees in TX? Is there a break for veterans?

Old 08-02-2018, 03:58 PM

637 posts, read 897,577 times
Remember, the high property taxes are offset by the lack of a state income tax. I would love if they would let you pre-pay property taxes at the current rate, but that's never going to happen as long as rates and values are adjusted annually.

Registration fees are generally in the neighborhood of $75 for the registration itself and no more than $25 for the inspection. I don't know if there's a break for veterans.

Old 08-02-2018, 04:56 PM

Cool, at least the tags are cheap then. I'm not whining, or trying to start a debate but I lived in Wyoming for several years and we had no state income tax and our property taxes were still very low. I was paying about $1400/year for a house valued around $300k. Wyoming also has some of the country's best schools, and we lived in the state's best district. Sure, the state treats the energy companies like a piggy bank, but they keep coming back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth