U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2018, 08:16 AM

71 posts, read 39,024 times

Advertisements

So, I'm considering relocating to Fort Worth from Austin. What are people's thoughts on the Lake Worth, Benbrook and Watauga areas? What are those areas like when it comes to crime, CoL, and commute difficulty? Also, what are the schools there like? I'm an empty nester, but my wife is a school teacher and will want to find a job in a district close to home. Thanks for any feedback or help!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2018, 08:50 AM

652 posts, read 914,672 times
If being close to your wife's job is important, she should find a job first and then you should locate accordingly. The three suburbs you've described are far flung and in 3 of the 4 extreme corners of Tarrant County.

Lake Worth is a little more rural and probably skews more lower income than the other 2 (and get ready, it's only a matter of time before you're told that it's a den of sex offenders and meth heads, just like any area, watch the surroundings before you buy). Lake Worth has its own school district that serves some areas outside of the city limits.

Benbrook is probably where you'll see the best variety in housing as far as pricing, size, and quality goes. I believe most of if not all of the city is served by Fort Worth ISD.

Watauga is a pretty small, land locked suburb with a lot of starter homes and some variety mixed in. It's split up between Birdville ISD and Keller ISD, both solid school districts. The good things is, if you don't find something you like in Watauga, it's pretty easy to cross over into Keller, North Richland Hills, or Fort Worth and still be close.

All 3 areas you've named are close to freeways and have or are close to large retail areas. Like I said, get your wife a job before you decide.

Old 08-06-2018, 07:58 PM

234 posts, read 213,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbb303 View Post
If being close to your wife's job is important, she should find a job first and then you should locate accordingly.
+1 Austin is a very desirable area of the state albeit less so since the 1980s in my opinion. It has grown far too much for it feel like it once did. However, it is still a very desirable area in which to live. Why leave Austin?

As jbb303 said, it makes far much more sense to find out where your wife will be working before you start looking for property. A long commute in traffic is very hard on vehicles, eats up a lot of petrol, and in general is a misery. Personally, I would never want to me more than 15 minutes max from where I might work. Closer is even better. Spending 45-60 minutes commute each way each day is no fun.

Old 08-07-2018, 07:39 AM

71 posts, read 39,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_little_truth_writer View Post
+1 Austin is a very desirable area of the state albeit less so since the 1980s in my opinion. It has grown far too much for it feel like it once did. However, it is still a very desirable area in which to live. Why leave Austin?
There's a lot I love about Austin. But the climate here kills me, and it's getting worse every year. This summer kind of broke me. I would get the -bleep- out of Texas if I could; actually I want to move to Portland, Denver, or coastal Virginia/North Carolina. But my wife's parents are in Dallas and she won't move that far away from them at the moment.

So, moving up to Fort Worth gets me a little better spread of weather and seasons, and some of my closest friends are in west Fort Worth area. So I'm looking at that as a move to try to improve my quality of life.

As to other comments about finding job first; of course the wife finding a job somewhere near home/finding a home near the wife's job will be important. But we want to target a few areas that we are happy with for her to focus her job search in. As for me, I have a 40 minute commute already, so as long as I don't lengthen that, it will be a net improvement in quality of life for me.

If it matters, our combined incomes are around 105-110k, and we will be looking at homes in the 225-300k range, preferably around the mid point of that range. We have 80k of equity in our current home, so we will come with plenty of liquidity to afford a place. We don't need (or want) any super large homes, with just the 2 of us, but I am a painter in my spare time, and we like keeping a guest room, so looking for something in the 3/2 or 4/2 range, in the 1900-2300 sq foot range. If I can keep it near a lake/lots of trees and green, and not in city center that is also an important consideration.

Old 08-07-2018, 07:59 AM

10,619 posts, read 22,613,915 times
If your wife is a teacher, she just missed the window to change jobs before the 2018-2019 school year begins. She might be able to find an ISD that still has an opening this close to the beginning of school, but it's not likely to be in a great ISD.

Old 08-07-2018, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalCityTodd View Post
There's a lot I love about Austin. But the climate here kills me, and it's getting worse every year. This summer kind of broke me. I would get the -bleep- out of Texas if I could; actually I want to move to Portland, Denver, or coastal Virginia/North Carolina. But my wife's parents are in Dallas and she won't move that far away from them at the moment.

So, moving up to Fort Worth gets me a little better spread of weather and seasons, and some of my closest friends are in west Fort Worth area. So I'm looking at that as a move to try to improve my quality of life.

As to other comments about finding job first; of course the wife finding a job somewhere near home/finding a home near the wife's job will be important. But we want to target a few areas that we are happy with for her to focus her job search in. As for me, I have a 40 minute commute already, so as long as I don't lengthen that, it will be a net improvement in quality of life for me.

If it matters, our combined incomes are around 105-110k, and we will be looking at homes in the 225-300k range, preferably around the mid point of that range. We have 80k of equity in our current home, so we will come with plenty of liquidity to afford a place. We don't need (or want) any super large homes, with just the 2 of us, but I am a painter in my spare time, and we like keeping a guest room, so looking for something in the 3/2 or 4/2 range, in the 1900-2300 sq foot range. If I can keep it near a lake/lots of trees and green, and not in city center that is also an important consideration.
I only lived in Austin for a brief time many years ago. I do not really recall what the weather was like. This area can be pretty hot, though. We had triple digit temps in May this year. Yes, I agree that the Summers seem to get worse every year, and the Winters seem to be slowly getting milder (global warming is not a myth). I dream of relocating to Massachusetts or Maine, or even better, to Blighty or perhaps even Japan, but at my age it is not very likely I will relocate again. If you are still young enough to pull up roots and relocate, then do it whilst you may! Follow your bliss.

From what you have written, I think you might like the Lake Worth area. Personally, I found it to be clean, green, and to have much less traffic compared to areas of Fort Worth. You still will not get a full four seasons here, though.

Last edited by the_little_truth_writer; 08-07-2018 at 08:57 AM..

Old 08-07-2018, 10:19 AM

1,053 posts, read 1,425,852 times
In my experience (7 years in Austin, 9 in FW), Fort Worth's summers are much worse than Austin's. They are both horrendous and almost the same as far as temperature and humidity levels go, but Austin has a lot more access to clean, spring-fed water, which makes finding a swimming hole very easy. The only thing weather-related that FW has over Austin is less cedar-fever. Our air still sucks up here though, just in other ways.

If you already have your mind made up to move to FW, provide us with more details about what exactly you are looking for so we can give you more helpful advice. Is there an area of Austin that you like that you'd like to find an equivalent to in FW?

One other point: you're thinking about the commute in the wrong way. Why settle for simply 'beating' the 40 minutes you currently do? If you are going to the trouble of moving, which is a real PITA, then I'd look to make your commute as short as possible. Make both of your commutes under 10 or 15 minutes and you will see a MAJOR quality of life improvement. The most important asset in life is TIME. Why waste it stuck in gridlock?

Old 08-07-2018, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campeador View Post

One other point: you're thinking about the commute in the wrong way. Why settle for simply 'beating' the 40 minutes you currently do? If you are going to the trouble of moving, which is a real PITA, then I'd look to make your commute as short as possible. Make both of your commutes under 10 or 15 minutes and you will see a MAJOR quality of life improvement. The most important asset in life is TIME. Why waste it stuck in gridlock?
+ 1,000,000. I could not agree more, Campeador.

Old 08-07-2018, 08:19 PM

1,756 posts, read 967,427 times
Quote:
So, I'm considering relocating to Fort Worth from Austin. What are people's thoughts on the Lake Worth, Benbrook and Watauga areas? What are those areas like when it comes to crime, CoL, and commute difficulty? Also, what are the schools there like? I'm an empty nester, but my wife is a school teacher and will want to find a job in a district close to home. Thanks for any feedback or help!
Benbrook and Lake Worth, I'd chose over Watauga other than the latter is more centrally located for commuting.

Old 08-07-2018, 08:22 PM

1,756 posts, read 967,427 times
Quote:

You must make some serious coin to consider PDX or Denver! I know housing there will add 25% easy to your monthly mortgage. You won't be as hot but your heating bill will rise in the winter. BTW, Portland has a MAJOR homeless problem and their water has no fluoride, i.e. more trips to the dentist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth