U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2018, 04:49 PM

5 posts, read 8,073 times

Advertisements

My family just got done with a whirlwind weekend of touring Texas. We tried to see as much as possible, but I just didn’t realize how huge DFW was.
We think we have narrowed our search down to Southlake and Colleyville. Can someone try to describe the substantial differences between the two? The only thing we really noticed was that Southlake obviously has more retail/restaurant options. After driving back and forth between both all weekend, they both just seemed to blend together. I’ve searched this forum for months and can’t seem to find a great thread comparing them.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

A few things that might help:
-We have a baby. Education is very important to us, but I know that high school is years away. I would obviously prefer a great high school, but excellent elementary/middle schools are most important for now.
-My husband would likely be commuting to downtown Dallas.
-Our budget is 850k for a house that doesn’t need a whole lot of work/renovations.
-We want a lot that is >.25 acres and must have a pool.

Thanks in advance!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2018, 05:25 PM

2,239 posts, read 2,840,706 times
I grew up in Colleyville and still visit some. My mom worked in North Fort Worth and my dad worked in Irving so it was a good central location for both of their commutes. Both are nice. Southlake is a little more affluent now and the schools are ranked higher but both are great.

I wouldn’t really recommend either for you though. A commute to downtown Dallas every morning from either would suck. Growing up we rarely ever went in to Dallas, it was just that inconvenient of a drive. With your budget you can get into a really nice house in a nice neighborhood in the city of Dallas zoned to great elementary schools. Have you researched Lakewood or Northwest Dallas? Is there any particular reason you need a yard larger than a quarter of an acre?

If the big lot is a must have, then maybe check out Sunnyvale.

Old 09-02-2018, 05:41 PM

10,536 posts, read 22,415,377 times
Southlake schools are Carroll ISD, and Colleyville is Grapevine-Colleyville ISD. Both are some of the best in DFW, and they both received an A in the new school rating system. GCISD has more low-income students than CISD, so that is really the only difference between the two ISDs.

However, I agree that with the commute to downtown Dallas, neither of those are going to be good options for you. You will likely be looking at an hour each way, and there is no option for public transit.

The real deal-breaker is the large lot. Unfortunately, those just are not common in DFW, even at your price range. I agree with the suggestions of Sunnyvale and Lakewood. Those will at least have a few more options, and will have a much shorter commute. If you are going to work in downtown Dallas, then you really need to live in Dallas County. Otherwise, your commute will be really bad.

Old 09-02-2018, 06:36 PM

19,864 posts, read 60,015,703 times
Yeah, unless you are spending $1 million, a large lot close in isn't going to happen. Count on 2-3 min/mile in rush hour traffic. I'd rather give on the house/lot than spend my time in soul-sucking traffic. Don't forget the tolls, too. I spend about $40/week on rolls and I don't work every day. Spend time with your baby!

Old 09-02-2018, 09:08 PM

12,449 posts, read 24,109,246 times
I agree with PP’s- why spend 1-2 hours commuting each day when you could live within 10-20 minutes of downtown. Funny thing about Dallas; it’s easier to find a big lot in the city than in most suburbs. We live on a 1/2 acre lot 9-10 miles north of downtown. You could definitely find what you’re looking for in Lakewood or Lake Highlands, or even start in Old Lake Highlands which is zoned to an excellent elementary school.

You pretty much hit on the major differences between Colleyville and Southlake; Southlake has much more commercial and ever so slightly better schools. Colleyville feels a little more like you’re out in the country.

Old 09-03-2018, 06:30 AM

3,682 posts, read 2,911,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
I agree with PP’s- why spend 1-2 hours commuting each day when you could live within 10-20 minutes of downtown. Funny thing about Dallas; it’s easier to find a big lot in the city than in most suburbs. We live on a 1/2 acre lot 9-10 miles north of downtown. You could definitely find what you’re looking for in Lakewood or Lake Highlands, or even start in Old Lake Highlands which is zoned to an excellent elementary school.

You pretty much hit on the major differences between Colleyville and Southlake; Southlake has much more commercial and ever so slightly better schools. Colleyville feels a little more like you’re out in the country.
You send your kids to private schools, so does most affluent and educated parents who live in Dallas ISD area. If OP is looking for public schools then Dallas ISD is a bad choice.

Old 09-03-2018, 06:54 AM

2,239 posts, read 2,840,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfairPark View Post
You send your kids to private schools, so does most affluent and educated parents who live in Dallas ISD area. If OP is looking for public schools then Dallas ISD is a bad choice.
The neighborhoods that have been suggested in Dallas have excellent elementary schools. Also, the OP’s child is a baby so at least 5 or so years until they need school, and in that amount of time they may not even live in Dallas anymore. If they do, they’ll still have those good elementary schools as a choice. After elementary years are up they can figure out where to go from there. Anyway, the point is they’ll have many years before they have to worry about upper school options, and that shouldn’t even be a major factor.

Old 09-03-2018, 09:08 AM

12,449 posts, read 24,109,246 times
Quote:
Newsflash: all of the areas I mentioned have excellent elementary schools which OP specifically said was their focus given their kids ages. Lakewood and Mockingbird elementaries are right up there with HP’s elementaries on every best elementary schools list for Texas, and some ratings system put them higher given they are achieving similar success with a more diverse socioeconomic population.

And Lake Highlands isn’t in Dallas ISD, it’s Richardson ISD which is also highly rated.

Old 09-03-2018, 09:55 AM

3,841 posts, read 2,079,183 times
Quote:
Lakewood and Mockingbird elementaries are excellent schools though.

Old 09-04-2018, 06:55 PM

5 posts, read 8,073 times
Thank you for all of your responses.

As far as the issue about the commute, my husband's current drive in LA is 30-60 minutes, depending on traffic. He actually loves driving (I don't get it), so a commute doesn't bother him. However, we were told by multiple people that live in Southlake that it is only 30-40 minutes from downtown Dallas, which is why we were okay with it. When we looked at Waze, it also showed 40 minutes being the peak during traffic. Is this information totally incorrect?

As far as the lot size, we want a yard big enough for our kids to play outside/run around in. We are leaving LA because we want to escape the city, and moving to Lakewood, Park Cities, etc. would just defeat the purpose of our move. Maybe we just weren't looking in the right neighborhoods, but they all just had too much of a city feel.

We looked at Plano, Frisco, Prosper, and McKinney, but they all felt way too big to us. My husband really liked Frisco, but I have done enough research on this website to know that it wouldn't be the right fit for our family. People also claimed that the commute to downtown from these places would be worse than from Southlake (except from Plano).

Maybe our sources are way off base and the commute really is closer to an hour. They could have been quoting times not during rush hour. If so, it is something we need to re-consider.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth