U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2018, 04:45 PM

66 posts, read 48,694 times

Advertisements

Looking for feedback on experiences with townhouse living if your a family, also maybe with dogs. Would you recommend owning a townhouse? Pros? Cons?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2018, 12:11 PM

10,515 posts, read 22,365,403 times
Townhomes are popular with young professionals who don't have children yet, older couples "empty nesters" who don't need the yard space for children to run and play, or with a very young family whose children are younger than school age. Once the kids are in school, I think you'll find the small yard isn't sufficient play space for them. Also, since townhomes are closer together than single family homes, the shared walls and small yard for your children and pets may cause noise issues with your neighbors.

You don't see as many townhome developments in the DFW area as you do in more densely populated parts of the country, such as in the northeast.

Old 10-31-2018, 03:29 AM

1,169 posts, read 865,448 times
I sell a lot of townhomes and it is pretty interesting few I know about have kids in them. Seems like as soon as I see a crib, they're ready to head to the burbs and get a house.
Not sure dogs and kids are great for townhomes as they can potentially disturb the neighbors more easily than in a single family place.
One place where I've sold for 10+ years at one time had what they called the "****" wars. A couple of residents would open the front door and let their dogs run wild after work. Dogs were just letting off steam, but due to limited grass area tended to poop 2-3-4 doors down in either direction. Residents with the dogs would not clean it up so the other residents would pick it up and pile it on her doorstep or smear it all over the door and handle.
Signs went up, etc.
I think in townhomes and condos you're just closer to people, so you probably have to be a little more respectful. My take is they also tend to attract a lot of single women and/or people who have super busy lifestyles.
It's not that kids or dogs are prohibited, but what you might think is cute and probably is cute, is annoying to them.
It's manageable, you just have to be mindful.
One other trick is that some places have pet restrictions. Size & weight. Not all, just some, so you always want to check directly with the HOA or see the rules and regs before you buy. Don't trust your agent, the seller's agent, or the seller to know....most of the time they won't know. You need to check yourself if it is a deal breaker for you.

Old 10-31-2018, 08:05 AM

167 posts, read 226,385 times
Townhome living has been great for my daughter and her son. He was in his early teens when they moved from an apartment and purchased a townhome. With no yard/outside responsibilities, they've been more free to enjoy outside activities or work on their home. Her complex "owns" from the studs out, so all exteriors are covered. It's well-kept, and the several families with children who live there seem quite happy.

Old 11-01-2018, 08:11 AM

2,007 posts, read 1,242,974 times
I think an endcap townhome is doable if there's a park with a playground within a safe walking distance. I say end cap so you're sharing fewer walls and ideally the space your child spends the most time in butts up against the outside wall so that you don't bother neighbors.

Old 11-01-2018, 08:30 AM

36,470 posts, read 47,041,765 times
As a Town liaison to a couple TH HOAs here some of the biggest complainers are those with young children complaint about having limited yards and no child amenities.

Neither development was designed for young couples with children in mind. One was aimed at upper income empty nesters, originally was slated to be an age restricted community while the other was specifically starter homes. The second should likely have planned for young families.

Old 11-01-2018, 11:09 AM

2,007 posts, read 1,242,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
As a Town liaison to a couple TH HOAs here some of the biggest complainers are those with young children complaint about having limited yards and no child amenities.
If you want child amenities and a yard you move to the places that offer that. I have no respect for someone who wants something, moves to a place that doesn't have it and then raises a fuss. It's like people who move near railroad tracks or an airport and then complain about noise from those things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
View detailed profiles of: