U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2018, 03:10 PM

12 posts, read 7,898 times

Advertisements

Hello all and Happy Thanksgiving weekend. Just found this site and it appears to be fairly active, so thought it might be a good place to do some inquiries. We are considering making a move to the DFW area...not looking to be in the city, as we are more country-folk believe it or not given our current locale. We live about 40 miles north of Seattle in Arlington and I personally abhor Seattle-proper. For a number of reasons, we are wanting to relocate away from here and DFW is on our short list.

While are reasons are many, I will try to be as concise as possible. Our primary reason is to hopefully ease my wife's medical conditions. Over the past few years, my wife has developed some issues that we strongly believe to be largely environmental. After visiting several doctors and the like, they all recommend a warmer and drier climate. San Diego is the ideal climate, but too many reasons that location is out of the question, but I digress.

If we relocate, I would possibly work in northern Forth Worth. I currently commute 20 miles and that can vary from 30 minutes to 1 hour+ (but rarely that long). My initial findings suggest traffic to be about on par there. I am willing to drive about the same amount of time, though would like to be closer if possible.

Our family is currently 5 strong (1 of which is out of the house deployed to Afghanistan), with only 1 will be in high school after the move, which we plan for Summer 2019. So schooling is of secondary importance. We have done quite a bit of looking at real estate and there seems to be an okay amount of choices if you head out a ways. We prefer a nice house on about an acre for under $450k. We prefer suburbs and country type feel. Our current home is a 2000+ sq ft rambler on 5 acres. We want to reduce the property size to minimize outside work, but improve on the home some. A shop and pool are preferred.

One thing that is surprising is the exorbitant cost of property taxes. Ours just went up a lot here and are now at $6000 per year. Many of the homes I've looked at there START at around $5000 and go up to like $11000. My current tax bill already seems ridiculous and is a cost you will never escape as a home owner even if the home is paid for. What is the deal there? I cannot totally see how the taxes are assessed as similar homes vary quite a bit I've seen.

Another thing foreign to me is how electricity is done there, like choosing a cell phone plan. Here it is a public utility and there is only one that serves a given area (typically by county). Cost per KWH is now at $0.1032 about the same as there it seems. How do you go about it there typically?

Thanks much for any advice offered.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2018, 03:43 PM

637 posts, read 897,266 times
Finding 1 acre with a pool and a shop in that price range within that commute time is going to be a challenge. I'm not saying it can't be done, but you're going to find a pretty low inventory with that criteria.

Texas is like Washington with no income tax, but a large part of local government is funded by property taxes: city, schools, public hospital districts, community college. Rates vary by location, but taxes collected have risen a great deal in recent years due to the rapidly rising property values. The tax appraised value of my house went up 33% from 2015 to 2018 simply due to the market being on fire for much of that time.

I know a lot of people use powertochoose.com to find an electricity provider. I use the public provider, TXU, and do average billing. My bill is consistently within $25-30 year round and I really don't pay attention to my rate. I know people that shop around for new rates all of the time. That's fine if that's your thing, but it seems like a lot of work to save a few dollars per month and, just like doing the same thing with car and home insurance, they rope you in with lower rates and you're back to paying what you were before in a year or so.

Old 11-27-2018, 07:18 AM

12 posts, read 7,898 times
I imagine the thought of having someone from "near Seattle" move to the DFW area is appalling. However, we are not stereotypical of Seattle at all. I am a Christian, Republican, NRA member, drive a Dodge Cummins and bass fish. I think we'd fit right in there. As such, hoping to get some more feedback on a few things.

I realize the climate is quite a bit different there which is what we are looking for. I have read it can be kinda brutal heat & humidity. How bad is it, really? I see average dew point is mid to upper 60's. To some that is bad, others maybe not so much. I know that is somewhat subjective. Coming from someone near Seattle, I know it will take time to acclimate. I personally love the heat (grew up in Eastern WA which is high desert, but it will take all of us time to adjust, some more than others. I assume the worst months are July and August, correct?

Also concerned about just the overall scenery or lack of it. Very picturesque here, but we all are sick of the cold and rain so a change is welcome, but concerned it will be too drastic.

What are some considerations someone might not think about coming from out of state?

Old 11-27-2018, 08:25 AM

3,836 posts, read 2,061,475 times
You might check out Decatur, TX. I've never lived there but I am out there for work at least once a month. I think it's less likely to become a suburb in the next few years than some of the other areas around North Fort Worth. Its Conservative and unlikely to change.

I grew up in Southern Idaho, so I feel you on the high desert.

I will warn you though: I never had much for allergies before, maybe a little bit occasionally growing up, but never badly till I moved down here.

I get allergies badly here and multiple times a year. DFW is one of the worst spots in the country for them and your and your wife are not likely accustomed to them.

I say that largely because if your wife has health issues and is sensitive to the climate, she might also be susceptible to the allergies.

Or maybe you are one of the lucky few who are not bothered by them down here, just something to consider.

Also, as far as the heat goes, it's pretty damn humid here especially for how hot it gets. I grew up with similar hot, dry 100 day summers that you guys get over in Eastern Washington, but it's totally different down here. A couple to a few weeks around 95-105 is totally different from the summers here. Humidity goes up as the temperature drops a little bit, so it's entirely possible that 90-95 degrees here can feel warmer than 105 when it does actually cool down a bit.

Every one is different, but I used to love the short, hot and dry summers of the NW, but I totally dread the long dragging summers here. Everyone is different, and maybe you will like the summers here. Allegedly, some people do lol

For hot and Dry you might check out Arizona and New Mexico as well, allergies will probably be less bad there.

I'd come visit a few times, ideally during the summer or allergy season. I'd stay for a week or so and see how you feel.

Old 11-27-2018, 12:45 PM

10,505 posts, read 22,346,689 times
Finding a home on a 1 acre lot, especially with a shop and a pool, within 20 miles of jobs in north Fort Worth for under $450k is going to be pretty tough. 1 acre lots are not the norm here; usually they are either a city-size (1/4 or smaller), or 2 acres and up. You might look around in Wise County, such as in the towns of Rhome and Boyd, and see what you find.

Yes, our property taxes are pretty high, and it's even worse if your house sits on a large piece of land that isn't at least being partially used for agriculture (and therefore tax exempt).

I totally agree about the allergies here. They are bad! And DFW is definitely humid, too. (Not Houston humid, but still humid!)

Old 11-27-2018, 01:18 PM

7,326 posts, read 11,591,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiknNutz View Post
Also concerned about just the overall scenery or lack of it. Very picturesque here, but we all are sick of the cold and rain so a change is welcome, but concerned it will be too drastic.
Compared to Seattle, picturesque is not a word I would use to describe DFW or the surrounding area. It's like Central Kansas with more trees. There are some comparably "prettier" areas to the north and west, but overall it's fairly bland prairie. Anything grassy that's not irrigated is dormant and brown from about July-March. Grass fires are fairly common in late summer/early fall.

You really should visit in July or August when the daytime highs are in the 90s/100s and the lows are in the mid-upper 70s.

Old 11-27-2018, 03:09 PM

1,053 posts, read 1,409,275 times
I lived in Bellingham, WA, some years ago. Beautiful scenery and outdoor recreation opportunities, though I hated the gray skies.

Compared to Western WA, which I consider a 9/10 for beauty, North Texas is a 1/10, IMHO, but the sunshine from November to May is great!

I'd add September to your "worst months" list. Junes isn't too comfortable either, honestly.

Unless work is pulling you to TX, I'd look in NM, AZ, CO, UT, or NV first.

Old 11-28-2018, 01:52 PM

16,818 posts, read 2,027,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiknNutz View Post
I imagine the thought of having someone from "near Seattle" move to the DFW area is appalling. However, we are not stereotypical of Seattle at all. I am a Christian, Republican, NRA member, drive a Dodge Cummins and bass fish. I think we'd fit right in there. As such, hoping to get some more feedback on a few things.

I realize the climate is quite a bit different there which is what we are looking for. I have read it can be kinda brutal heat & humidity. How bad is it, really? I see average dew point is mid to upper 60's. To some that is bad, others maybe not so much. I know that is somewhat subjective. Coming from someone near Seattle, I know it will take time to acclimate. I personally love the heat (grew up in Eastern WA which is high desert, but it will take all of us time to adjust, some more than others. I assume the worst months are July and August, correct?

What are some considerations someone might not think about coming from out of state?
First - your budget will not get you what you are asking for here.
Driving a pickup, NRA member, bass fisher, Christian - DFW is a metro.
Weather - June, July, August, September - we had 100 over 100 the year we moved to DFW.
Utilities - I have no clue where in DFW your power bill is 25-30$

Have you been to DFW?

Old 11-28-2018, 03:01 PM

637 posts, read 897,266 times
My monthly bill never varies by more than $25-30 over the year. Sorry. Poor wording.

Old 11-28-2018, 05:49 PM

6,238 posts, read 4,443,147 times
Do you already have a job lined up?

Are you looking anywhere else? I'd look at Utah, New Mexico (Santa Fe is expwnsive), Nevada, and Arizona as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth