U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2019, 12:01 AM

5,258 posts, read 3,103,918 times

Advertisements

I think a case could be made for it being underrated. It's proximity to Dallas often causes it to be overlooked. There are many good things about Fort Worth.

When I was looking to relocate to Texas in the early 2010s, I barely even considered Fort Worth. I ended up choosing Dallas, because I thought that Dallas provided me with the best combination of economic and social opportunities of all the Texas metros. I was coming from out of state and had no real connection to anything in Texas at the time.

There have been times over the years where I've wondered how things might have turned out differently had I chosen to head just 30 miles west to Fort Worth. I appreciate the friendliness of Fort Worth and the diminished element of pretension.

There have been times where I have discouraged people in moving to Dallas and encouraged them to take a longer look at Fort Worth.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2019, 08:02 AM

3,836 posts, read 2,060,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campeador View Post
From what I know of TX, that seems accurate. It has a lot going for it, despite its shortcomings. I thought the mention of the tubing/ concerts on the Trinity was funny, though. I would love it if we had a clean river to float right in town, but there's no way I'm getting in that water!

I thought the list showed good judgement for other states as well.
Yeah, if they tell me eating the fish will make me sick because of the heavy metals in the river, I'm absolutely not swimming in that lol.

Last edited by Treasurevalley92; 01-07-2019 at 08:37 AM..

Old 01-07-2019, 08:35 AM

3,836 posts, read 2,060,576 times
I really like Fort Worth! I think its kind of funny that someone mentioned that it feels a little like Amarillo from an architectural perspective, because I stopped in Amarillo a few days ago and had that same thought.

I think Fort Worth is sort of difficult to label or totally explain.

On one hand it is without a doubt the lesser, in terms of economic importance than Dallas. Thats just a fact.

It would be totally impossible to separate the two, they are more like conjoined twins than other cities, but if you could Fort Worth would still be a significant city in it's own right, probably about the importance of a San Antonio or a SLC. They would probably have a sports team in their own name, though probably not more than one.

I've always said that Fort Worth has the worst skyline of any city over 500k. Not that Skylines are that important, but I've always been amazed at how unimpressive it is. It's not even top 3 in DFW in my opinion. Before the Fort Worthians get all up in arms, I think on a street to street level Fort Worth's downtown is much, much superior to Dallas's CBD.

I think part of that is the fact that Fort Worth feels way smaller than a city of almost a million.

I think part of this has to do with the irregular shape of Fort Worth and it not having really any natural features to hem it in. Dallas has some irregularities, but for the most part is contained within a series of highway loops and more or less makes a circle.

Dallas, for the most part is built up and most of it's growth is through desnsifying while Fort Worth is both gentrifying and densifing in some parts of the core, but has had massive green field developments in the last 10 years in city limits.

I think over all Fort Worth just "Feels" less "Big City Urban" The way it is laid out with the buildings feel very "Great Plainsy" sort of like OKC or Wichita or Amarillo. Maybe a little bit like some parts of Denver. I know that doesn't sound like a compliment, but it actually is. Lots of historic neighborhoods that are sort of dense, mostly single family homes and sort of walk-able, just not in a big city Rustbelt/ North East sort of way. Sort of Street Car suburb style, but not exactly.

Dallas doesn't look THAT different, but I have a sense there is a difference, maybe Dallas has more of a southern influence, IDK, I just never would describe Dallas as having that great plains feel.

I think it's great that Fort Worth and Dallas have grown together, I think it allows them to be their own thing. I think if Dallas didn't exist, Fort Worth would have turned out differently, more prominent, probably larger and definitely more cosmopolitan. But luckly they both exist, so Fort Worth is allowed to be what it is today and be unique.

Old 01-13-2019, 06:15 PM

5,595 posts, read 9,749,142 times
I would say "No".

Fort Worth is the other substantial component of the North Texas Metroplex, which is also the north end of the IH-35 Megaopolis.

For a big Texas city, Houston is pretty isolated from the rest of Texas (Houston's sprawl is growing toward the Megaopolis, while Megapolis' suburban sprawl points away from Houston--like it's running away from being clenched.)

The state capital is in the Megaopolis, so the equivalent of the Washington Beltway is the 360 Circle. The state government is very Austin-centric and shares a Megaopolis POV of Texas.

Old 02-24-2019, 10:52 AM

15 posts, read 7,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RemyLebeau View Post
Ft Worth isn't even a top 5 suburb of Dallas!

Ft Worth is a cheesy blend of Dallas (pretending to be LA) and "cowboys" that have never actually touched a horse not on display.

Ft Worth isn't bad, but to be a great city...well, you might want to fix some roads, pick up some trash, mow some grass, attract some industry, fix traffic, bulldoze or rehab all business that look like run down "rub and tugs" going into downtown.... You know, take pride in the city.

There are plenty of cities around here that are better than actual Ft Worth. I live in one. My problem with Ft Worth is their Tarrant County taxes. I pay out the nose every year yet Ft Worth/Tarrant doesn't seem interested in doing anything with it.

Here's an idea...instead of begging for respect, earn it. Make the city a place people WANT to live in. Trust me, Ft Worth has plenty of tax dollars to make that a possibility...they just don't have the leadership.

I've asked my mayor plenty of times, how do I get us out of Ft Worth/Tarrant tax district? They are just stealing money and I'm tired of having to drive all the way to Ft Worth every time I get jury duty. Tired of paying for a new alignment because the massive pot holes in the roads are horrible.
What are the top 5 suburbs?

Old 02-25-2019, 05:39 PM

623 posts, read 395,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
"Why would someone want urban living in FW if they could easily get that in Dallas"?

Because Fort Worth is and always has been its own damn city. We don't NEED Dallas for anything.
+1.

Old 02-26-2019, 09:51 PM

2,427 posts, read 2,964,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
"Why would someone want urban living in FW if they could easily get that in Dallas"?

Because Fort Worth is and always has been its own damn city. We don't NEED Dallas for anything.

And this quote represents the problems of Fort Worth in a nutshell.

I lived in Fort Worth for 6 years while attending TCU. After graduation, I moved to the Dallas side and have been here and in Collin County ever since (16 years and counting, how time flies).

My impressions of Fort Worth:
1) It's a great city in its own right. Between it and Arlington, all the amenities and entertainment that you could possibly need. In my 6 years there, I can count on both hands the number of times I drove out to Dallas. You will rarely need to go to Dallas which to me would signify that Fort Worth is not just a suburb, since typically most suburbs are dependent on the big city in some way.

2) As others have noted, a definitely slower pace and attitude to life but in a good way. Moving from Fort Worth to an apartment close to Uptown Dallas was almost culture shock for me. I definitely preferred Fort Worth around that time.

3) However, make no mistake, even though Fort Worth really shouldn't be seen as a suburb of Dallas, you pretty much HAVE to make that connection due to the typical big brother little brother inferiority complex that the people from Funky Town have towards Dallas. I saw it pretty much all the time, CONSTANTLY comparing the city to Dallas ("we have the same store they have over there" "we have better fill in the blank than they do" etc). And God help you if you even HINT that Dallas is better in some way. People really get in their feelings over it. Maybe subconsciously, but they do and it's really noticeable to an outsider.

Dallasites on the other hand, don't even seem to know or care that Fort Worth exists. I've met many life long Dallasites who have never even been to Fort Worth. And the majority of those who had been, it was usually to the Stockyards. There is rarely if ever any feelings of animosity or rivalry from Dallasites. I pointed out to some that I thought the Fort Worth Zoo was superior to the Dallas Zoo. I got nothing but shrugs, and in some cases even agreement. People in Dallas got bigger fish to fry. Now mention Dallas lacking in comparison to Houston, then things change.

Fort Worthians definitely have a lot to be proud of in their city, but they really need to start thinking big instead of so petty and small minded, especially when it comes to their neighbor to the east, because no one else cares about your feelings. JMO.

Old 02-27-2019, 09:38 AM
JJG

13,566 posts, read 20,383,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
3) However, make no mistake, even though Fort Worth really shouldn't be seen as a suburb of Dallas, you pretty much HAVE to make that connection due to the typical big brother little brother inferiority complex that the people from Funky Town have towards Dallas. I saw it pretty much all the time, CONSTANTLY comparing the city to Dallas ("we have the same store they have over there" "we have better fill in the blank than they do" etc). And God help you if you even HINT that Dallas is better in some way. People really get in their feelings over it. Maybe subconsciously, but they do and it's really noticeable to an outsider.

Dallasites on the other hand, don't even seem to know or care that Fort Worth exists. I've met many life long Dallasites who have never even been to Fort Worth. And the majority of those who had been, it was usually to the Stockyards. There is rarely if ever any feelings of animosity or rivalry from Dallasites. I pointed out to some that I thought the Fort Worth Zoo was superior to the Dallas Zoo. I got nothing but shrugs, and in some cases even agreement. People in Dallas got bigger fish to fry. Now mention Dallas lacking in comparison to Houston, then things change.

Fort Worthians definitely have a lot to be proud of in their city, but they really need to start thinking big instead of so petty and small minded, especially when it comes to their neighbor to the east, because no one else cares about your feelings. JMO.
Well when your city has been constantly screwed over by your "neighbors" and even looked down upon by a city that you're supposed to partner with, you don't exactly have the highest thoughts of them.

You call it an "inferiority complex" when a lot of why Ft. Worth is ignored and passed over for major corporations is because you're not getting as much help.

There's a saying: "What's good for DFW is good for Fort Worth"... heard that a lot during the Amazon bids. But in reality, Dallas gets the majority of benefits in these so-called partnerships while Ft. Worth is left with little, if anything. We even had to sacrifice our international airport to build DFW while Dallas got to keep there's. The city even had to go behind everyone's back just to get ESPN to film here... and it worked out.

So yeah, there is some animosity, but it isn't undeserved.

Old 03-01-2019, 04:34 PM

310 posts, read 439,022 times
Consider Keller/Southlake area.

Fort worth is great, but if you are looking for a suburb I recommend those two. Having said that, the downtown of Ft. Worth is really undergoing a re-birth period. It is really getting nice downtown.

One thing to remember. The homeowners property tax in Tarrant county is horrific beyond just about anything you can imagine unless you are coming from a place like New Jersey. Texas has the 6th highest property tax in the country and last I looked, Tarrant county might be #1 in Texas.

Something to consider.

Old 03-09-2019, 08:03 AM

2,999 posts, read 1,898,686 times
I'm an outsider from California who currently lives in Arizona. So I will give you my two cents:

I think the two big cities in TX that nobody really talks about is Ft Worth and San Antonio, but from talking to the locals in those cities, those cities are good places to live. But if we're strictly talking about the ft worth-dallas metropolitan area, then no one really mentions fort worth as far as cities to move to. They all mention Dallas. It wasn't until I looked on a map, I didn't think Ft. Worth was so close to dallas. I thought it was about two hours away.

I may be relocating to Texas in a couple of years and I my initial thought process was to scope out Dallas. But since I heard that Dallas is getting too crowded, I may opt for the Ft. Worth side of the metroplex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth