U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2019, 11:58 AM

4,624 posts, read 3,697,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcualum View Post
They won't be able to afford all they want for 750 in Southlake.
Really? Huh. Maybe it depends on how choosy they are, but in realtor.com I see more than a few home listed for mid-650's, which would leave room in the budget to add a pool or remodel to their taste. It would be worth a look. I have no doubt they could find a find a super nice house in Keller, but I'm not sure how much they would want Carroll ISD vs Keller ISD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abelinkkin View Post
Look into Haslet, Justin and Argyle. A bit more rural but your budget will probably go further. I think Haslet and Justin are in Northwest ISD which is large but decent.
Argyle and so on would be a really far commute to downtown FW, wouldn't it?
And Northwest ISD is not quite as good as other options they have such as Keller, Carroll, or even Grapevine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2019, 12:30 PM

OP, you might find this interesting:

MaxPreps - America's Source For High School Sports...

Old 01-17-2019, 08:35 PM

1,759 posts, read 1,009,426 times
They also want 5 bedrooms and a media room.

Old 01-17-2019, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcualum View Post
They also want 5 bedrooms and a media room.

I would never advise someone not to look in a certain area just because they might not get every single thing on their housing wish list. Priorities often change when boots are on the ground. Looking online and reading about a place is different from being there. Besides, the wife says she is fine with 4 bedrooms.

Maybe they will decide to get a house that doesn't have everything on their wish list but puts them in one of the best ISDs in the state for both athletics and academics. Or maybe the house is the most important thing, so they will choose a slightly less expensive town. Or maybe they won't like the feel of any of those areas and choose something farther away.

The fair thing to do for people looking for help is let them know about many different options.

Old 01-18-2019, 09:13 AM

609 posts, read 838,059 times
I agree and one thing for the original poster to remember: a max price point like $750k gives them an unbelievable amount of flexibility. There are inevitably some areas they will be priced out of, but those areas are much fewer and farther between than if their budget was lower.

Old 01-20-2019, 01:55 PM

36 posts, read 31,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
I would never advise someone not to look in a certain area just because they might not get every single thing on their housing wish list. Priorities often change when boots are on the ground. Looking online and reading about a place is different from being there. Besides, the wife says she is fine with 4 bedrooms.

Maybe they will decide to get a house that doesn't have everything on their wish list but puts them in one of the best ISDs in the state for both athletics and academics. Or maybe the house is the most important thing, so they will choose a slightly less expensive town. Or maybe they won't like the feel of any of those areas and choose something farther away.

The fair thing to do for people looking for help is let them know about many different options.

Thanks everyone for your input and the links. That is all very helpful. My concern with Keller is if we go 750K, that seems to be maxing out for that region? Would the home retain value? Southlake seems as if it would retain value, but we may have to compromise some what and more than likely up our budget.

Old 01-20-2019, 02:12 PM

Quote:
OP, you might find this interesting:

MaxPreps - America's Source For High School Sports...

This is a great resource - thank you!

Old 01-21-2019, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seff75 View Post
Thanks everyone for your input and the links. That is all very helpful. My concern with Keller is if we go 750K, that seems to be maxing out for that region? Would the home retain value? Southlake seems as if it would retain value, but we may have to compromise some what and more than likely up our budget.
I definitely see your point about Keller vs. Southlake and at that price point I would be concerned as well. Homes in Keller are not dropping in value, though. There are multi-million dollar homes/mansions dotted throughout Keller, and there are higher end gated neighborhoods, but not as many as Southlake or Colleyville. Moms at my daughter's school drive everything from convertible Bentleys, Maseratis, and Teslas to somewhat older Honda minivans.

Have you called the schools yet? How difficult is it to make the baseball team at Carroll? (I've read on other threads that it can be tough to make the athletic teams at Carroll schools but IDK for sure, and maybe your son is good enough to make it anyway). Carroll schools are undoubtedly ranked higher than Keller, but there are some other differences as well.

Carroll has 9th and 10th grades at one school and 11th and 12th at a different school. Keller HS has all 4 grades together. Keller has the off campus learning center, which is geared to hands on technical learning. I'm not sure if Carroll has anything like that. Carroll dominates most sports, but Keller has a better band.

I really don't see how you would go wrong with Southlake, but you will know more when you are here and looking around in person.

ETA: Keller does not get a lot of respect on C-D. People are quick to recommend Grapevine, Flower Mound, Trophy Club over Keller. In real life, I'm not sure why that is. The Keller people I've met are proud to live in Keller. Some think competing suburbs are too crowded and congested. Keller often seems like the "poor relation" because it neighbors Southlake and Westlake, but if you talk to the people who are buying here, they often say it seems like a great combination of location, price, and schools.

Last edited by calgirlinnc; 01-21-2019 at 01:23 PM..

Old 01-22-2019, 11:25 AM

1,105 posts, read 745,467 times
Argyle might be a nice alternative, but for the commute I would be looking at Keller/Ft. Worth with Keller ISD schools.
Westlake and Southlake are probably not alternatives due to price point.
Trophy Club might be an alternative for you or Colleyville/Grapevine, but that will add to the commute.

Old 01-22-2019, 11:28 AM

Quote:
I definitely see your point about Keller vs. Southlake and at that price point I would be concerned as well. Homes in Keller are not dropping in value, though. There are multi-million dollar homes/mansions dotted throughout Keller, and there are higher end gated neighborhoods, but not as many as Southlake or Colleyville. Moms at my daughter's school drive everything from convertible Bentleys, Maseratis, and Teslas to somewhat older Honda minivans.

Have you called the schools yet? How difficult is it to make the baseball team at Carroll? (I've read on other threads that it can be tough to make the athletic teams at Carroll schools but IDK for sure, and maybe your son is good enough to make it anyway). Carroll schools are undoubtedly ranked higher than Keller, but there are some other differences as well.

Carroll has 9th and 10th grades at one school and 11th and 12th at a different school. Keller HS has all 4 grades together. Keller has the off campus learning center, which is geared to hands on technical learning. I'm not sure if Carroll has anything like that. Carroll dominates most sports, but Keller has a better band.

I really don't see how you would go wrong with Southlake, but you will know more when you are here and looking around in person.

ETA: Keller does not get a lot of respect on C-D. People are quick to recommend Grapevine, Flower Mound, Trophy Club over Keller. In real life, I'm not sure why that is. The Keller people I've met are proud to live in Keller. Some think competing suburbs are too crowded and congested. Keller often seems like the "poor relation" because it neighbors Southlake and Westlake, but if you talk to the people who are buying here, they often say it seems like a great combination of location, price, and schools.

Thank you! I do like the look of Southlake more but am concerned about my older son fitting in. It seems as if there are more cliques, etc? Not to mention it seems as if that area has a more keeping up with the jones vibe which is the type of environment we live in currently and it’s exhausting, lol. But we are traveling there soon so trying to keep an open mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or