U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2019, 11:15 AM

36 posts, read 32,032 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have been going in circles trying to figure out where to live. We are coming from NoVA and are trying to do as much legwork before going down as possible. So maybe you all can help out:

- Budget 750K maybe a little higher.
- 3 kids (4, 6 and 12)
- Oldest plays travel (select) baseball
- I'm a federal worker and I'm hoping I'll be working downtown fort worth (waiting on a job in the meantime, Ill be teleworking)
- Husband will be with Lockheed out near white settlement I believe

Husband really wants a media room, room for a pool and 5 bedrooms. I'm fine with 4 bedrooms and room for a pool.

We want public versus private schools.

We've considered Aledo, but that locks us into W. Fort Worth but gives us land, schools, etc. We've looked at Heritage Bluffs area but I'm uneasy about the schools and commute? Also considered Tanglewood area but would have to up our budget and we would more than likely have to remodel (just did that where we live and husband has 0 interest doing that again) and potentially private schools for middle school/high school.

So any thoughts....?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2019, 01:49 PM

10,113 posts, read 21,349,837 times
One of the reasons the Tanglewood area is highly sought-after because it has good public schools K-12. The high school, Paschal, is among the best public high schools in DFW. https://www.fwisd.org/Paschal

I agree that you are right to be concerned about commuting from Keller/Heritage. It will be a slog through heavy traffic for both of you, and being able to pick the baby up on time from daycare may be a challenge.

Aledo would be a really good option, especially for your husband, and with the new Walsh Ranch development starting up, there will be more shopping/retail in west Fort Worth very soon. Speaking of, have you looked at that development? https://walshtx.com/

Old 01-15-2019, 03:08 PM

146 posts, read 91,994 times
Just be aware that Walsh will not be as rural as the website makes it out to be. It will be a very nice neighborhood with lots of top shelf amenities but man are they packing those houses in there like sardines. I heard its expected to have over 10,000 houses at full build out. Its basically a very large country club.

That said...
Aledo schools are some of the best in the area and are known statewide for their sports programs including baseball.
$750k budget will go a long way in that area.
The drive to downtown fort worth is not terrible. I do it everyday and it takes about 40-45 minutes each away with normal traffic. Lockheed is easy access as well.

The other areas that fit your criteria are a bit farther away and have more traffic. These are the only public school systems worth a look. Your budget wont go nearly as far.
-Keller, Roanoke, Southlake, Westlake, Colleyville, Lewisville

Old 01-15-2019, 10:23 PM

1,771 posts, read 1,014,589 times
I'm not sure how good Paschal is if your child isn't in the honors program. All of the raves I've heard about Paschal have been from parents who have kids in that program. Getting a home like what you want within the Paschal zone will be difficult. Most of the homes were built before the sort of home you want became popular. Updated homes and homes built to replace teardowns are going for a premium. They do have the new neighborhood off Chisholm Trail but the homes are very expensive and the lots are often too tight for a pool. On the plus side, homes zoned for Tanglewood and Paschal will keep their value. The shopping and amenities in that area are excellent too. You're in the middle of the action. We really wanted to buy a home in that area but we couldn't find one that met our needs even after we gave up on a pool.

Old 01-16-2019, 06:27 AM

609 posts, read 838,787 times
Cross Westlake off of that list above. $750k will barely get you a vacant lot.

Old 01-16-2019, 10:03 AM

10,113 posts, read 21,349,837 times
Lewisville to Lockheed/downtown Fort Worth would be a horrible commute, and the schools there are not the best.

I agree about Westlake. Homes out there are usually $1M+.

Old 01-16-2019, 03:04 PM

36 posts, read 32,032 times
Well we found out today that the office he thought he would be working in is moving to Keller.... so looks like the west portion of Fort Worth is out...

Old 01-17-2019, 08:33 AM

4,643 posts, read 3,709,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seff75 View Post
Well we found out today that the office he thought he would be working in is moving to Keller.... so looks like the west portion of Fort Worth is out...
Look at Southlake, Keller, maybe Colleyville. In Keller, stay in areas zoned to Keller HS. There is a new custom neighborhood called the Trails at Bear Creek that looks really nice.

https://www.ourcountryhomes.com/comm...-at-bear-creek

You may prefer Southlake though just because of the schools.

Old 01-17-2019, 10:46 AM

1,771 posts, read 1,014,589 times
They won't be able to afford all they want for 750 in Southlake.

Old 01-17-2019, 11:08 AM

146 posts, read 91,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seff75 View Post
Look into Haslet, Justin and Argyle. A bit more rural but your budget will probably go further. I think Haslet and Justin are in Northwest ISD which is large but decent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or