U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2019, 11:42 AM

21 posts, read 9,881 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'd love to hear if you have experience with either Fort Worth Country Day, Trinity Valley School, or The Oakridge School. We have one child applying for upper elementary and one for middle school. Are the schools extremely selective? Do you know the acceptance rates?

I'm also curious about the level of privilege and diversity at each school. We are relocating from out of state and looking for down-to-earth families, a diverse environment (of every kind: socio-economically, ethically, religiously, etc), and not uber conservative socially and politically.

Finally, what is the homework load?

Thanks in advance for any insight!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2019, 02:46 PM

6,207 posts, read 4,987,846 times
I also responded to your Dallas forum inquiry that my gkid attended Oakridge. I don’t know how selective Oakridge is. When our gkid was first admitted, she was only age 3 and started in preschool, then went on to pre-K, K, etc. They conducted a half-day test for preschool and she was admitted. Back then, there actually were several pre-schoolers who were not admitted. Her parents took a break, to conserve funds — her Dad had started a new business and funds were tight — and used the local public school for a few years and then they decided to return to Oakridge. Once again, my gkid was tested and this time she was conditionally accepted as a result of poor scores. She was, apparently, accepted because she was a former student who had top grades when she was there before and good grades at the public school. She returned last year and now, back in he second year since returning, she still struggles. She is passing and in normal public school her performance would probably be C’s and B’s — but that’s not the achievement Oakridge will accept long-term. The school is working hard with her and her parents. There have been many, many conferences and opportunities to do extra credit projects. At this point its not known if she will be allowed to return next year. The school is tutoring her, and she is also being tutored privately at home. The school is also (at their expense) evaluating her for a learning difference. Her parents are very satisfied with the school. Her parents are somewhat unconventional people — in their lifestyle (tatoos, piercings, etc.) and they feel comfortable with Oakridge and welcome at school events.

Old 01-30-2019, 04:03 PM

18 posts, read 13,833 times
It sounds like, for what you are looking for, Oakridge is going to be the best bet.

Country Day most likely going to be the most selective but that varies by timing and what grade you are trying to enter. Then I would assume Trinity Valley and Oakridge are not far behind. Oakridge is not typically shopped against the other two because most of the student body of all 3 of All Saints, Country Day, and Trinity Valley come primarily from the areas west of 35W all the way out to the far side of Aledo.

The student bodies of all 3 of those are also tremendously integrated socially, especially once you hit the High School level. Most students at one have good friends at all 3. Oakridge is a completely distinct social circle. Not only did I not have friends at Oakridge, I didn't know anyone who did.

Stereotypically, Country Day is considered to be where the old money goes in Ft. Worth. It is the oldest of the privates in town and it has the highest academic standards. It is fairly diverse both ethnically and religiously, at least for this part of Texas. However, you won't find it to be socio-economically or politically diverse. In fact, you are unlikely to find high levels of diversity amongst any of the Ft. Worth privates.

Again stereotypically, Trinity Valley is considered to be primarily where the new money in Ft. Worth sends their kids. It is maybe slightly more ethnically, religiously, and probably even politically more diverse. However, it is again comprised almost entirely of families that have high to very high incomes and wealth.

I admit I know the least about Oakridge and I would rather not speculate. However, I think Oakridge is going to be the most diverse in all categories. This is still Texas and we are talking about very expensive private schools so it may not be exactly what you are looking for, but I would bet its the closet thing. Academically, all three are pier schools and you won't find a considerable difference in standardized testing scores or college placement among the 3.

Old 01-30-2019, 04:21 PM

1,770 posts, read 1,014,589 times
Openings can really vary. Last spring I was considering switching private schools for my younger son. FWCD was a little too eager for us to tour which concerned me but TVS had a wait list for the same grade.

Old 01-30-2019, 07:07 PM

21 posts, read 9,881 times
tcualum, what grade was your younger son applying for last year?

Old 01-31-2019, 09:54 AM

1,770 posts, read 1,014,589 times
2nd. We ended up not even touring FWCD because I unimpressed by some of their answers to my questions. The biggest issue was that my son has skipped a grade in math. When I asked if that was possible there she’d find a way to change the subject even though the school hadn’t met us or seen his test scores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or