Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2016, 08:31 AM

656 posts, read 1,355,271 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have some good hiking area recommendations in DFW or up to a few hours outside of the metroplex? The wife and I are starting to look for some new activities and this is one we agreed upon. Thanks for any information!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2016, 01:24 PM

422 posts, read 542,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebuch View Post
Does anyone have some good hiking area recommendations in DFW or up to a few hours outside of the metroplex? The wife and I are starting to look for some new activities and this is one we agreed upon. Thanks for any information!
You've probably started the wrong hobby for DFW then. Lol. The area is void of any good hiking spots mostly. The only real good one I've found is Cedar Ridge Reserve south of Dallas. I think it's in Cedar Hill.

Old 09-30-2016, 02:13 PM

49 posts, read 60,127 times
These are my favorites:

Tandy Hills Nature Preserve - FW (a hidden treasure - Friends of Tandy Hills Natural Area |)
Sansom Park - FW
Northshore - Grapevine
Cedar Hill State Park
Dinosaur Valley - Glen Rose (love this place, but a bit of a drive - maybe 90 minutes?)
Cleburne State park
Isle Du Bois - north to Lake Ray Hubbard
Reveille Peak Ranch - Burnet, TX (2 hours drive south, but amazing terrain and views for being Texas)

This is the local mountain bike club site, but it has a list of all the trails and would tell you if they are open of closed due to rain: http://dorba.org/trails.php . You won't see Tandy Hills, because no bikes are allowed there.

Old 09-30-2016, 04:39 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,695,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerandon View Post
These are my favorites:

Tandy Hills Nature Preserve - FW (a hidden treasure - Friends of Tandy Hills Natural Area |)
Sansom Park - FW
Northshore - Grapevine
Cedar Hill State Park
Dinosaur Valley - Glen Rose (love this place, but a bit of a drive - maybe 90 minutes?)
Cleburne State park
Isle Du Bois - north to Lake Ray Hubbard
Reveille Peak Ranch - Burnet, TX (2 hours drive south, but amazing terrain and views for being Texas)

This is the local mountain bike club site, but it has a list of all the trails and would tell you if they are open of closed due to rain: Dallas Off Road Bicycle Association . You won't see Tandy Hills, because no bikes are allowed there.
Good list.

My favorite is Dino Valley--feels like the hill country a bit, worth the drive.

Fort Worth Nature Center is another decent option.

Be vigilant of mountain bikes on Sansom and Cedar Hill, especially if you have kids in tow.

Old 09-30-2016, 08:52 PM

2,510 posts, read 2,211,278 times
River Legacy Park in North Arlington has some excellent nature trails. They aren't hardcore hiking but they're great if you're just starting out. I also really like The Heard in McKinney and the Trinity River Audubon Center.

Old 10-01-2016, 09:27 AM

1,206 posts, read 1,533,977 times
Lots of bikes at Northshore too unfortunately.

Old 01-30-2019, 07:02 PM

15 posts, read 18,991 times
Add Cedar Ridge Nature Preserve to the list. It's an excellent spot in Cedar Hill.

Old 01-31-2019, 10:13 AM

2,510 posts, read 2,211,278 times
Fort Worth Nature Center and Refuge

Old 01-31-2019, 11:53 AM

160 posts, read 196,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcualum View Post
Fort Worth Nature Center and Refuge
They have some good hiking trails. Be careful about dogs and small kids next to the water though. They also have a lot of alligators.

Old 02-02-2019, 12:12 PM

34 posts, read 34,320 times
Drive 5 hours to Arkansas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth