Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2019, 01:02 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,215,825 times

Advertisements

https://www.star-telegram.com/news/t...225640900.html

The article includes a potential rail map. What do y'all think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2019, 04:12 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,841,718 times
I think the line needs to be extended to the medical district and Southwest Fort Worth. The line needs to be where the people actually live. The line could be extended down south to Crowley and Burleson if they choose to join Trinity Metro. I think a second line should be built from downtown to West & 7th street and extended to the TCU area. From there you could take it down the Chisolm Trail area, which is prime for high density transit oriented development because of the availability of open land.

The city also needs a line that connects the eastside to downtown by rail. Lancaster ave could easily be setup with rail. This could happen a lot quicker if cities like HEB and Arlington join Trinity Metro. Since the bulk of Fort Worth jobs are located in the Alliance corridor it would be smart to run a line from downtown up north.

Old 02-11-2019, 04:35 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,904,705 times
Two things on this:

1. That's me.

2. It's not light rail, it's commuter rail... at this point, that's all we can get. Streetcars (light rail) are still possible, but the city put us a good decade behind due to their shutting down of the study back in 2010. I'm STILL pissed about that.

Old 02-11-2019, 06:00 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,316,643 times
The article's focus on a lack of available right-of-way space completely ignores the fact that there are options that don't need a dedicated right-of-way.

Old 02-14-2019, 07:05 AM

13,685 posts, read 9,009,247 times
The sentence about any expansion of the rail system being years away rings very true. It took a long while to get the TexRail running, and even then it is along existing tracks.

We took the TexRail two weeks ago, from downtown T&P station to the airport. Our purpose was to see if it would be more convenient than driving to DFW (we live far west Fort Worth) since we are traveling soon.

Two problems became apparent. One, there is no long-term parking close to either station. Since one of the main purposes of this line is for ease of travel to the airport, this is a serious flaw. However, we will simply take Uber from our house to the station.

Second, there is little room for luggage. At each end of each car is an open space that one can place big suitcases, but it is also reserved for those in wheelchairs, and also has fold-down chairs in case the train is crowded. I asked the conductor about luggage, and he pointed to the small overhead shelf that runs along the car. While a carry-on can fit, nothing larger.

Nevertheless, it does beat the drive to the airport. You arrive at Terminal B, gate 49, where there is a security entrance and American Airlines check-in desk.

Old 02-14-2019, 11:26 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,696,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
The sentence about any expansion of the rail system being years away rings very true. It took a long while to get the TexRail running, and even then it is along existing tracks.

We took the TexRail two weeks ago, from downtown T&P station to the airport. Our purpose was to see if it would be more convenient than driving to DFW (we live far west Fort Worth) since we are traveling soon.

Two problems became apparent. One, there is no long-term parking close to either station. Since one of the main purposes of this line is for ease of travel to the airport, this is a serious flaw. However, we will simply take Uber from our house to the station.

Second, there is little room for luggage. At each end of each car is an open space that one can place big suitcases, but it is also reserved for those in wheelchairs, and also has fold-down chairs in case the train is crowded. I asked the conductor about luggage, and he pointed to the small overhead shelf that runs along the car. While a carry-on can fit, nothing larger.

Nevertheless, it does beat the drive to the airport. You arrive at Terminal B, gate 49, where there is a security entrance and American Airlines check-in desk.
Good post. I agree that it will, unfortunately, take a long time for FW to improve on these matters. People here have trouble imagining life without automobiles. I remember reading similar plans ten years ago when I moved here and getting excited. Looking back, I realize how little I understood about the mentality and culture of Fort Worth.

Regarding the first problem: I intend to take an uber to T&P, or, if feasible, ask a friend or family member to drop me off/ pick me up.

Old 02-14-2019, 12:43 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,904,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campeador View Post
I remember reading similar plans ten years ago when I moved here and getting excited. Looking back, I realize how little I understood about the mentality and culture of Fort Worth.
It took several firings and rebranding of The T to really get things going.

Fort Worth's biggest flaw is leadership content on being "the World's Biggest Small Town" instead of thinking ahead and competing with our peer cities. The good thing is that it looks to be changing. But we still have a ways to go in SEVERAL categories, with public transportation is one of the biggest concerns.

Old 02-18-2019, 07:23 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post

Your comments to me spotlight the real flaws in what the powers that be are actually implementing w/all this money and time and effort—
They produce a product that really isn’t designed to work—
Why would someone making a week’s vacation and thus taking more than a simple carryon use transportation that does not address their needs

Was this designed ONLY for a business person making a one day trip somewhere out of DFW???
And why no long-term parking available—
Because they wouldn’t/couldn’t pay for the land needed....
Again lack of long-term planning/commitment

This is lip service — not real service

We won’t be using it in all likelihood because we don’t need it
But others do and likely won’t because of the inherent design flaws...

Old 02-18-2019, 07:49 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,696,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Your comments to me spotlight the real flaws in what the powers that be are actually implementing w/all this money and time and effort—
They produce a product that really isn’t designed to work—
Why would someone making a week’s vacation and thus taking more than a simple carryon use transportation that does not address their needs

Was this designed ONLY for a business person making a one day trip somewhere out of DFW???
And why no long-term parking available—
Because they wouldn’t/couldn’t pay for the land needed....
Again lack of long-term planning/commitment

This is lip service — not real service

We won’t be using it in all likelihood because we don’t need it
But others do and likely won’t because of the inherent design flaws...
I have heard from many folks who have used it that there is plenty of space for luggage.

Long term parking in the urban core doesn't make sense. Are you referring to the non-downtown stops? Have you confirmed that those stops do not have long-term parking? For those of us that live w/in 5 miles of downtown, this is a game changer and it's long overdue.

Old 02-19-2019, 06:33 AM

13,685 posts, read 9,009,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campeador View Post
I have heard from many folks who have used it that there is plenty of space for luggage.

Long term parking in the urban core doesn't make sense. Are you referring to the non-downtown stops? Have you confirmed that those stops do not have long-term parking? For those of us that live w/in 5 miles of downtown, this is a game changer and it's long overdue.

I worked downtown Fort Worth for 30 years, and can say with some authority that there is not secure long-term parking within a several block radius of either downtown train station. Yes, there are several parking garages that allow you to lease a parking space by the month, but 1) that is not helpful; and 2) even then you would be several blocks from either station, and so would still have to haul luggage with you.

From my one round-trip on the TexRail to DFW and back, I did not see any evidence of secure long-term parking at the other stations between downtown and DFW.

Now, at the T&P station, there is certainly parking (enter through Vickery), with part of the parking under the I-30 bridge. However, these spots (especially under the bridge) are quickly filled in the morning with local workers. In theory, you could leave your car parked long-term, but there is nothing secure about the area, and I would not advise it.

On their webpage TexRail states that they recognize the problem concerning long-term parking, and are looking into it. Of course, any solution is several years away, at best.

For right now, the Uber solution works best for us. Leave our car at home, be driven to the station with our luggage, and off we shall go. It will beat driving out to the airport, and the expense of parking at the airport (we would use The Parking Spot).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth