U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2019, 09:31 AM

2 posts, read 1,109 times

Advertisements

We're currently facing a possible relocation to Fort Worth. Need some help narrowing down where to look to live. Wondering if Wedgwood South is a nice area? I like a lot of the houses listed there. What about Benbrook? We have two elementary aged kids who are homeschooled so not super worried about the school districts. Looking for a house under $300k. Accessibility is an absolute must. I'd like to be within 20 mins (tops!) of my regular stores (whole foods and Costco mostly).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2019, 12:07 PM

1,523 posts, read 776,771 times
Welcome! From how far are you coming? I The best areas of Fort Worth are generally west of the CBD/I-35.t. However, are you also considering nearby suburbs, such as Keller, Aledo, Mansfield, North Richland Hills, Haslet, Roanoke? Where do you anticipate working?

Are you seeking only new construction? Tarrant county is a large area with many areas from which to chose. There is very large, brand new development on the western outskirts of Tarrant County, called Walsh Ranch. Its a 7,000 acre master-planned community which only last year began to have residents move in.

Old 03-10-2019, 09:03 PM

150 posts, read 116,598 times
I know the Wedgwood South area and many of the neighborhoods along Altamesa have been declining over the last several years or so. Part of me thinks the the north part of Wedgwood may be a bit better these days, but I'm not sure. Foster Park north of 20 is definitely nicer than Wedgwood, but my understanding is that when homes there go up for sale, they sell fast since they are the least expensive neighborhood in the Tanglewood zone. Good for resale value, but since your kids will not be using the public schools you can consider other neighborhoods as well.

Benbrook is also a good bet, especially the newer neighborhoods. You shouldn't be getting too much of a school premium on prices there seeing that Benbrook is still in the Fort Worth ISD, though Westpark Elementary does pretty well by FWISD standards outside of Tanglewood, but I believe that Benbrook Middle-High is only "average." So home prices shouldn't be too unreasonable there with regards to paying higher prices in areas with better schools.

Walsh may be a different story though. It gets Aledo ISD schools, which definitely carry a premium these days. As previously mentioned, this is good for resale value, but if you aren't going to be using public schools sometimes it can be better to go into neighborhoods without a "school premium" on prices.

You might also want to look into the Arlington Heights area of west Fort Worth as well, especially if you want to be close to the city and don't mind older homes. Keep in mind that part of Arlington Heights does have issues with flooding, and that the average home there does tend to be above $300k, so there is a chance that the lower priced homes may be in the flood zone.

In SW Tarrant County, there is a Whole Foods on Bryant Irvin and Arborlawn, and a Costco at Overton Ridge and the Chisholm Trail Parkway. The midpoint between the two is somewhat close to the intersection of I-20 and Bryant Irvin.

Old 03-11-2019, 07:17 AM

147 posts, read 92,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfulg View Post
I'd like to be within 20 mins (tops!) of my regular stores (whole foods and Costco mostly).
Not sure where you are coming but be prepared for traffic. I consider 20 minutes to be the minimum it takes to get anywhere .

There is only one Whole Foods in Fort Worth. Most of the neighborhoods in that area of town are the "old money" areas and will be out of your price range. Benbrook or Western Hills are your only real options for <$300,000 houses close-by.

Avoid Como & White Settlement areas...both high crime and not safe for kids.

Crowely has a reputation for bad schools but if you are homeschooling that might be and option.

Aledo/Walsh Ranch are nice areas but far away from any stores and you will pay a premium on your property taxes because of the school district. Also <$300,000 houses are hard to find in that area.

Old 03-11-2019, 09:49 AM

1,781 posts, read 1,023,925 times
Fort Worth also has two Sprouts, a Central Market, and a Trader Joe’s. Those shops may also appeal to you if you like to shop at Whole Foods. I will warn you that the Whole Foods is on the small side compared to many others. A large portion of it is taken up by a bar for some reason. If you’ve never heard of Central Market, I highly recommend you visit it. It’s a huge gourmet grocery filled with high quality, exotic produce, a fishmonger, a butcher, a growler filling station, etc. Stationed throughout are employees called foodies who are solely there to help you find things and to offer cooking and baking advice.

Old 03-11-2019, 10:48 AM

10,118 posts, read 21,373,336 times
Central Market >>>> Whole Foods
Seriously. CM is owned by the HEB grocery chain, and they are found only in Texas. There are several locations in the DFW area, and the big one in Fort Worth on Bryant-Irvin is awesome! Whenever possible, they have locally-sourced meat, produce, cheeses, honey, etc. Their bakery is fantastic! And they have international/regional food events throughout the year. CM is also a lot less expensive than Whole Foods, which I have heard called "whole paycheck."

Be careful in Crowley. Because of the poor schools, it tends to attract people who don't care about their kids' schools, which results in a higher crime rate. Same issue with White Settlement.

Old 03-11-2019, 12:17 PM

2 posts, read 1,109 times
We're coming from Delaware. Currently living 45-50 minutes from our regularly used amenities and living in a home over $300k. A huge factor in our decision whether to move or not will be lower cost of living along with better accessibility. Doesn't sound like fort Worth would provide that. I appreciate all of the input!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or