U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-12-2019, 10:56 PM
 
34 posts, read 24,641 times
Reputation: 70

Advertisements

Anyone out there that’s a millennial waiting to start a family until they can afford to purchase a home?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-13-2019, 08:30 AM
 
146 posts, read 91,912 times
Reputation: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullandram1 View Post
Anyone out there that’s a millennial waiting to start a family until they can afford to purchase a home?
You will be waiting a long time if you think housing affordability is going down anytime soon....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2019, 10:32 AM
 
Location: Fort Worth
136 posts, read 60,577 times
Reputation: 192
We're millennials and bought our house in 2016. No plans for expanding the family beyond the two of us however
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2019, 08:41 AM
 
Location: Fort Worth, TX
1,770 posts, read 1,012,945 times
Reputation: 2528
Where are you looking and what do you consider affordable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2019, 10:08 AM
 
34 posts, read 24,641 times
Reputation: 70
What I consider affordable doesn’t exist any more lol. Would of been nice to spend 180,000 max. So now maybe 220,000 max. Just trying to save a down payment as the goal post keeps getting moved. We Like Watauga, West Arlington, Some of the new houses in Waxahachie, Fort Worth in Keller school district...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2019, 10:39 AM
 
Location: Grapevine, Texas
10,113 posts, read 21,346,900 times
Reputation: 7669
Yeah, you missed that boat by about a decade. Even $220k now is hard to find in a safe neighborhood with good schools.

Be sure and keep your commute in mind. The places you mention are literally all over the map. If you have little ones at home, sitting in the car an hour each way to/from work is less time that you have to spend with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-15-2019, 02:06 PM
Status: "Zoom Zoom" (set 2 days ago)
 
367 posts, read 197,110 times
Reputation: 323
It didn't really put me off starting a family since it just me, myself, & I. My max budget was $170,000 and Arlington, Euless, & Grand Prairie where my cities of choice. Wound up putting in multiple offers over asking price on properties mostly in West/North Arlington and northern Fort Worth. some of the properties sold within the same day that they where listed while most of the larger (family sized homes) where selling for full cash offers. Luckily someone priced there property to high and I was able to get it with no other competition for what it should have been listed for originally. The big issue for y'all is going to be finding a place in a good school district and competing with cash offers. I'd recommend looking into town homes since most of the 3 bedroom homes within my budget where town homes and looking a bit under your budget since there's a good chance that you'll be offering asking or a bit over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-15-2019, 02:47 PM
 
146 posts, read 91,912 times
Reputation: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProtege View Post
It didn't really put me off starting a family since it just me, myself, & I. My max budget was $170,000 and Arlington, Euless, & Grand Prairie where my cities of choice. Wound up putting in multiple offers over asking price on properties mostly in West/North Arlington and northern Fort Worth. some of the properties sold within the same day that they where listed while most of the larger (family sized homes) where selling for full cash offers. Luckily someone priced there property to high and I was able to get it with no other competition for what it should have been listed for originally. The big issue for y'all is going to be finding a place in a good school district and competing with cash offers. I'd recommend looking into town homes since most of the 3 bedroom homes within my budget where town homes and looking a bit under your budget since there's a good chance that you'll be offering asking or a bit over.
The competition is what has stunned me the most. We were lucky to get into our house before the big boom. We offered well below asking price and the seller jumped on it immediately. In today's market if you don't go above the asking price you will be laughed out of the building. I refuse to get into a bidding war over a house so looks like I wont be buying another one any time soon lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2019, 09:47 PM
 
34 posts, read 24,641 times
Reputation: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillip :) View Post
We're millennials and bought our house in 2016. No plans for expanding the family beyond the two of us however
Nice! This option is very tempting lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2019, 09:59 PM
 
34 posts, read 24,641 times
Reputation: 70
The issue is not wanting to be house broke and saying you know what, the game is rigged right now and I don’t want to play. The housing value and taxes keep going through the roof right now. That can’t keep going up forever. Common sense says the housing market goes up and down. Right now it’s on Mt. Everest. So we will keep saving until we find something that’s reasonable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top