U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2019, 10:18 AM

3 posts, read 1,622 times

Advertisements

I've just got a new job in Fort Worth (next to Irving, directly south of DFW airport). We're (my wife, I, and our 10 months old daughter) currently living in Irving and it's alright for the most part. We're looking to buy a house next year and start looking around. Hurst seems like a nice city to me and the house prices are still not too high. However, I'm not familiar with the area so I don't know if Hurst is a good place to grow a family with a young child. Our budget for the house is around $250k and Hurst seems pretty affordable and pretty close to my work. And Hurst seems to have better school district than Irving?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2019, 10:26 AM

10,112 posts, read 21,338,084 times
Yes, Hurst has been a nice place to live for decades. You really can't beat any of the Northeast Tarrant County "Mid-Cities" of Hurst, Euless and Bedford for their affordable homes, plenty of shopping/restaurants, and proximity to job locations. I personally live in Grapevine, but I have several friends who currently live and grew up in Hurst, and I go there fairly frequently to shop and eat.

A few pointers:
1. Stay north of 183 if possible. Crime is a little bit lower, and the houses are a little newer and better kept. South of 183 has more apartments, and the schools are a little lower performing.
2. Make sure you are in the HEB or Grapevine-Colleyville ISDs. Avoid Birdville ISD as the schools are not as good. Yes, HEB ISD is much better than Irving ISD, especially in secondary schools. All that being said, you have 4+ years until your daughter enters school, so you could always move again if necessary.
3. Do look in Bedford and Euless, and possibly North Richland Hills too.

Old 03-20-2019, 10:45 AM

Thank you for your input. I really appreciate it. Is south of 183 relatively safe? I found some private communities south of 183 and I like those.

I'm first time parent so I don't know how does schools work lol. Like is my daughter assigned to a school based on the address of the house or can she go to any school in the ISD?

Old 03-20-2019, 02:30 PM

609 posts, read 838,059 times
Your address is assigned to a school. HEB probably allows transfers like most districts, but I'm sure it is limited and competitive.

There are pockets of nice areas south of 183 and some good schools. I would steer clear of the neighborhoods adjacent to the apartments. The schools are going to be more racially and income diverse south of 183. I have friends that rave about Hurst Hills Elementary and it's not in what a lot of people would call a really nice neighborhood.

Your budget is going to be a problem north of 183. In Hurst, I see 3 properties at $250k or below and 2 of those are vacant lots. There are a few in the $250-275k range, but not a lot. The inventory is much more robust in Bedford and there are more options in your price range. Much of what you'll find in Bedford will need work at that price.

Old 03-20-2019, 02:41 PM

10,112 posts, read 21,338,084 times
Here's the HEB ISD website: https://www.hebisd.edu/
Your neighborhood is assigned a school based on attendance zones. All of the kids in the neighborhood attend the same school. *IF* the district allows transfers to a non-neighborhood school, it will only be on a space-available basis, and the parents are responsible for providing transportation for the child to the transfer school. The big thing to keep in mind is that transferring would mean that your daughter's classmates would not live near her, so going over to her friend's house after school, or attending birthday parties on weekends, will require more effort. She also will not know the other kids in the neighborhood.

What "private communities" are you referring to? If you mean the ones near the river bottoms along Trinity Blvd., I would advise steering clear of those. There is NOTHING nearby, and the traffic on Trinity to get to the highways is heavy.

Old 03-20-2019, 04:51 PM

Thanks for the info! Yeah, those were the ones I was referring to. I didn't take into account the traffic to the highway. I'll keep that in mind. I'll start looking north and Euless and Bedford too

Old 03-21-2019, 04:13 PM

4,625 posts, read 3,697,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
2. Make sure you are in the HEB or Grapevine-Colleyville ISDs. Avoid Birdville ISD as the schools are not as good. Yes, HEB ISD is much better than Irving ISD, especially in secondary schools. All that being said, you have 4+ years until your daughter enters school, so you could always move again if necessary.
3. Do look in Bedford and Euless, and possibly North Richland Hills too.
FWIW, I know people who work in the Birdville HS feeder pattern schools as well as parents whose kids attend, and they are very pleased with the schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth