Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2019, 03:30 AM

2 posts, read 3,794 times

Advertisements

Has anyone else looked at purchasing or building a house in some of the less desirable areas of Fort Worth where the real estate is slightly more affordable? Historic Southside, Como, Oakhurst, Stockyards, Meadowbrook, United Riverside.

I'm just thinking what Linwood, River District, and Near Soutside looked like 3 - 6 years ago and the transformations are amazing. I'm not looking for this as a real estate investment but in terms of somewhere to purchase a house and raise a family without adding 45 minutes to my commute everyday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2019, 04:18 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,854,435 times
The problem is that all of those areas are currently fairly high crime and have bad public schools. Who knows if the City will be able to get a handle on the crime rate any time soon? Until that happens, most people who would be interested in gentrification will stay away.

Old 04-11-2019, 07:07 AM

160 posts, read 196,124 times
Christie hit the nail on the head. Those gentrification areas are great for young professionals that want to be close to bars and restaurants. Those with kids will stay far away because of the schools.

Want close to the center of town and good schools? private school is your only option.

Old 04-11-2019, 07:36 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,854,435 times
I wouldn't even say those areas are good for young professionals because they are high crime. Drive-by shootings and convenience store robberies are not uncommon occurrences in the Northside, Stop 6 and Poly neighborhoods. Check out the Fort Worth PD Crime Map: https://gisit.tarrantcounty.com/cmportal/

United Riverside and Historic Southside are probably the least bad of the bunch. Riverside is close to downtown, and there are some really neat old homes there. But the surrounding neighborhoods are not good, and you'll have to drive a fair distance to even find a decent grocery store. Southside still has some crime issues, and there always seem to be homeless people in the area, likely since it's not a far walk from the shelters on Lancaster.

Meadowbrook is way too close to Stop 6 and Poly. Oakhurst is heavily Hispanic and very low income.

Como will probably gentrify sooner than the others simply because it's surrounded by nicer areas such as Ridglea. But since it is Fort Worth's historically African-American neighborhood, redevelopment is slower due to community resistance to redevelopment.

Old 04-11-2019, 12:54 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,695,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp1123 View Post
Has anyone else looked at purchasing or building a house in some of the less desirable areas of Fort Worth where the real estate is slightly more affordable? Historic Southside, Como, Oakhurst, Stockyards, Meadowbrook, United Riverside.

I'm just thinking what Linwood, River District, and Near Soutside looked like 3 - 6 years ago and the transformations are amazing. I'm not looking for this as a real estate investment but in terms of somewhere to purchase a house and raise a family without adding 45 minutes to my commute everyday.
FW's CD board is pretty low traffic, and the regular posters we do have are often not urban pioneers. Many live in the suburbs, some 40 minutes away. If you use the search function, you will find some older threads on this topic and that may help you.

I took a look at Oakhurst 10 years ago when we moved to FW and I really liked it. I'm guessing it's still a great little neighborhood, but must admit that I don't spend time there.

I firmly believe that this is the future of Fort Worth--Millennials refuse to spend their lives commuting and are more ecologically aware than most folks in my generation (X) and the dream of buying a home is getting less realistic / attainable over time. Today's 'rough' areas will be tomorrow's Fairmount.

Old 04-11-2019, 02:19 PM

2 posts, read 3,794 times
Thanks guys, that is kind of what I thought. I try to track on the MLS where all of the builders are buying up old homes/ lots so I can get ahead of the trend before prices get crazy. I'll go back and look at old posts but they probably point to areas that have already developed and seen large appreciation in property values.

Old 04-11-2019, 03:49 PM

2,510 posts, read 2,211,278 times
I would like to see Meadowbrook turn around. There are some lovely neighborhoods with nice older homes on large lots with huge, mature trees.

Old 05-10-2019, 01:17 PM

382 posts, read 420,063 times
Second that, tcualum. I would add the adjacent Eastern Hills area, as well.

Old 05-11-2019, 04:24 PM

364 posts, read 617,470 times
Keller, just north of Ft. Worth is exploding...EXPLODING!

Old 05-21-2019, 06:44 AM

1,206 posts, read 1,533,977 times
Oakhurst and Meadowbrook have been on the cusp for years and I think schools are the big huge sticking point. They aren't close enough to FW's private schools (other than Meadowbrook- Nolan) to make them good neighborhoods for those families. They have been popular with home schooling families for years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth