U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2019, 02:47 PM

7 posts, read 4,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcualum View Post
FYI....

Any school here can call itself a "Montessori" school without actually adhering to Montessori principles. You want to make sure the schools are fully accredited by (they aren't just dues paying members) and the teachers are certified by either AMS (American Montessori Society) or AMI (American Montessori International).
Oh that's so helpful. Thanks very much! Definitely one to watch. Will be trying to match up, as much as possible, what he has here creche & school wise over in Texas ...... will probably struggle with him learning Irish in school though :-D Thanks again
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2019, 10:21 AM

6,207 posts, read 4,981,107 times
A great option is to look in zip code 76012 but make sure whatever place you lease is zoned to Butler Elementary School. It is a blue ribbon, highly desirable elementary school in the Arlington school district. The AISD has several poor performing schools in the northern section, but Butler is very good.

Here’s a good location with Butler elementary: https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...2_M77572-53403

Also, as mentioned in another post, the Bear Creek area in Euless would be driveable.

If you can find something to rent in Viridian, that would be fantastic — close and good schools, but I think above your budget.

Old 05-05-2019, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
A great option is to look in zip code 76012 but make sure whatever place you lease is zoned to Butler Elementary School. It is a blue ribbon, highly desirable elementary school in the Arlington school district. The AISD has several poor performing schools in the northern section, but Butler is very good.

Here’s a good location with Butler elementary: https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...2_M77572-53403

Also, as mentioned in another post, the Bear Creek area in Euless would be driveable.

If you can find something to rent in Viridian, that would be fantastic — close and good schools, but I think above your budget.

Thanks very much for your advice. I spoke to someone in Butler Elementary on Friday ........ which highlighted something concerning. As my son won’t be 5 yrs of age by the 1st of September, he won’t be allowed to start school in September 2020. I have been told that he will have to wait until September 2021. This means that he would be six – which is quite late. All of his friends at home in Ireland would be starting school the previous year… And when we would return home, he would be a year behind them and I definitely don’t want that. I spoke to somebody in Arlington ISD and she said that I could consider joining him in pre-K. It seems to me though that you have to meet particular eligibility criteria for pre-K… I don’t meet that eligibility criteria but paid options seem very limited. I’m quite concerned now as to what options I am left with. Would appreciate any advice.

Old 05-05-2019, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inquisitive Irishgirl View Post
Thanks very much for your advice. I spoke to someone in Butler Elementary on Friday ........ which highlighted something concerning. As my son won’t be 5 yrs of age by the 1st of September, he won’t be allowed to start school in September 2020. I have been told that he will have to wait until September 2021. This means that he would be six – which is quite late. All of his friends at home in Ireland would be starting school the previous year… And when we would return home, he would be a year behind them and I definitely don’t want that. I spoke to somebody in Arlington ISD and she said that I could consider joining him in pre-K. It seems to me though that you have to meet particular eligibility criteria for pre-K… I don’t meet that eligibility criteria but paid options seem very limited. I’m quite concerned now as to what options I am left with. Would appreciate any advice.
You probably should start a new thread asking for recommendations for day care or private schools with extended day options that have kindergarten classes. When is his birthday?

Old 05-05-2019, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
You probably should start a new thread asking for recommendations for day care or private schools with extended day options that have kindergarten classes. When is his birthday?
Fair point. Thanks 😊 His birthday is the 24th of September. Quite close to the 1st of September but I know that doesn’t really matter.

Thanks again 😊

Old 05-05-2019, 02:22 PM

Country Day School of Arlington has a private montessori kindergarten with extended day care. They have a good reputation. You could do it for a year and then go to public school first grade. They charge about $1,000 per month for the combo child care/kindergarten.

Welcome to the Country Day School of Arlington

Old 05-05-2019, 05:56 PM

1,759 posts, read 1,009,426 times
If you're willing to look at Montessori then I recommend Montessori Academy over Country Day. It has much better facilities and resources. They also offer extended daycare. I'm not sure of the cost though. It's been 3 years since my younger son went there. I have a friend who sent her daughter to the Spanish Schoolhouse in North Arlington and spoke highly of it.her

Old 06-05-2019, 11:36 PM

59 posts, read 40,309 times
Quote:
Hi. I think the way it will work is they will try to source options for relatively similar accomodation for what I have here in ireland in a similar type of area. I live in the suburbs of cork city (which is a small drop in the ocean versus the size of Dallas) and I definitely wouldn’t live rurally. I’m 30 mins, with traffic, to work. I’m paying just over €1400 so, as I understand it, they will pay the difference between that and what it will cost for relatively similar circumstances in the Arlington area.

As for the car situation… That is still an unknown for me. I have a car here with the finance having been fully paid off. So for the last year, I am debt free on my car for the first time ever 🎉 there is a mention in the policy of having to cover the cost of a car myself… Either through leasing or through getting a loan through the company and having to pay back within two years. I really wouldn’t be happy having to take on debt again for this move given the upheaval it already means so hoping the assignment won’t fall apart as a result of such a key item for me. All going well over the next few days, I will have clarity on that… Which would be great as I’m really looking forward to moving to Texas. Thanks for your reply

Well, get ready for a shock when the summer heat starts. A "heat wave" in the British Isles is usually hotter than the coolest night in a Texas summer. And summer lasts, oh, about nine months.

Old 06-06-2019, 10:34 AM

4,631 posts, read 3,697,405 times
Quote:
Fair point. Thanks �� His birthday is the 24th of September. Quite close to the 1st of September but I know that doesn’t really matter.

Thanks again ��
I understand your concern about moving back to Ireland and then your son not being in the right grade level.

However, it is *very common* here for boys with late summer/fall birthdays to wait a year to enter Kindergarten, so that they are closer to 6 than 5. I know many mothers with sons who turned 5 in August or September and who would have been eligible to start Kindy deliberately hold them back. The thinking is that boys who are one year more mature physically and emotionally do better in school. My son has a November birthday and when he started Kindy, many of the other boys had already turned 6.

What would be uncommon is for a 4 year old to start Kindergarten.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth