U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2019, 09:06 AM

386 posts, read 793,623 times

Advertisements

I am sorry for another post asking for recommendations on an area to live and hope someone will be kind enough to weigh in. My husband and I are exploring a transfer to DFW area with our current employers. My husband would be working in downtown Dallas and I would be working in downtown Fort Worth. I am trying to figure out the best suburb, that has great schools, safe, with housing options around $250,000-$320,000.

Looking at the map, it appears Arlington and Irving would be good contenders. Would one be better than the other in terms of commute, safety, and schools?

Grapevine seems a possibility but since it is above the airport, I am thinking there might be too much congestion around that area to travel to both Dallas and Fort Worth.

We also like Hurst and North Richland Hills but the commute to Dallas from those areas seems far so I think they might be out.

Lastly, we currently live in Florida and have great access to beaches almost year round. What exactly do people do in the summer for vacations in DFW? I heard go to the lake but we are not really boating fans. Is Galveston a possibility?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2019, 10:11 AM

206 posts, read 81,668 times
It seems like most talk on this topic favors the north, but I’d suggest taking a look at Mansfield. It doesn’t seem to take as long to drive to Dallas and Ft. Worth as it looks on a map. Check it out on a real estate app like Zillow with the price filter set on your budget.

Old 04-14-2019, 08:55 PM

1,773 posts, read 1,020,000 times
What is your housing budget?

Old 04-14-2019, 09:37 PM

6,210 posts, read 4,995,945 times
Euless would be my first choice. Some of Euless in zip code 76039 is zoned to Grapevine-Colleyville schools - a good school district. Arlington in the Martin High School attendance zone is also fine but a longer commute into Dallas.

Mansfield and Midlothian could be contenders, depending on how long you are willing to commute to either Dallas or FtW.

Old 04-15-2019, 12:50 AM

1,106 posts, read 747,783 times
Depends on your budget.....HEB---Hurst Euless Bedford might be an option...Grapevine too.

Old 04-15-2019, 07:30 AM

144 posts, read 208,710 times
I'd recommend Euless, too. I live in North Richland Hills and commute daily to Dallas, a bit past Love Field. Getting through the mid-cities area (Hurst, Bedford, Euless) takes almost half of my commute time in the morning, and more in the afternoon.
Lots of great residential areas in Euless, and nice-looking apartments if you start out by renting.

Old 04-15-2019, 08:15 AM

146 posts, read 92,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeni View Post

Lastly, we currently live in Florida and have great access to beaches almost year round. What exactly do people do in the summer for vacations in DFW? I heard go to the lake but we are not really boating fans. Is Galveston a possibility?

Thanks in advance.
Driving/flying somewhere where its not so hot.

A lot of Texas people drive to Florida/Gulf Shores for beaches. The only nice beach in Texas is South Padre which is still pretty lame compared to Florida. From DFW to Padre is an 8 hour drive.

Galveston is a fun town to hang out in. Corpus Christi has a lot of fun things for kids. Port Aransas is a pretty nice little town. None of these have beaches remotely comparable to Florida though.

Old 04-15-2019, 09:03 AM

10,114 posts, read 21,359,381 times
Most of Grapevine will be above your budget. Euless is definitely a good option, and Bedford is worth a look, too. Irving doesn't have good schools above elementary, and even then, only in the far northern parts.

Texans usually try to go somewhere to escape the heat in the summer. Colorado is a popular choice. DFW Airport can get you anywhere in the world with one connecting flight, so lots of people travel overseas, too.

Texas beaches are not blue water and white sand due to the silt from the Mississippi River. Galveston usually has greenish water, and brown sand. For the amount of time it takes to drive to a decent beach in Texas, you could drive to Florida, or be on a plane to the Mayan Riviera of Mexico.

Old 04-15-2019, 03:53 PM

386 posts, read 793,623 times
Thanks for all of the replies. It helps to have a staring point and feedback from those who are there locally. The lack of nearby vacations is a little disappointing as one of my kids is not easy to travel with so flights are out for the foreseeable future. As much as I love to travel!!

Thanks again!

Old 04-15-2019, 05:05 PM

6,210 posts, read 4,995,945 times
There are lots of great places to go and things to do; just a few.

Colorado, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Louisiana not terribly far to drive
Fort Worth Stockyards
Lake Texoma and the nearby falls
San Antonio
Austin
Fredericksburg
Galveston
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or