U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2019, 08:38 AM

319 posts, read 263,592 times

Advertisements

Hoping others will share their story on dealing with the Tarrant County Appraisal District.

I went to TAD today and was unfortunate to get one of the not so nice employees ... very abrupt in his mannerisms and short with me.

He offered me a number, and I very politely pushed back showing how TAD had given considerable breaks to 7 of the properties on our street of only 38 homes. He refused to even look up the properties or do any comparison at all to my evidence. Instead, he just said "well I'm already offering you less than you paid for your home (1 year prior), are you saying you don't want it?" I very calmly pushed back and tried to get him to realize several of our properties received very large decreases. No matter what I said, he wouldn't acknowledge any of the information I gave him and kept coming back with his original offer (which was still an increase vs. last year).

This conversation lasted maybe 1-2 mins, then without any warning he said, "ok sir, since you aren't interested in our offer I'll go ahead and set it at your sale price" (which was $15k MORE than his first offer). I said, "wait, what? TAD just raised my value 15k in 1 minute because I'm asking questions? This process is absurd!" His response was "you denied our offer sir". I said "I haven't denied anything, I'm just asking you questions and asking for an explanation on why some properties got much bigger decreases." Again he ignored me and said "ok sir, so would you like to accept the offer I'm extending to you now at your sale price? it's still beneath the value we sent you on April 1. Again sir we're extending you an offer, do you want it?"

After back and forth with him about how ridiculous this whole "negotiating" process is, he said "ok sir, let me go talk to my supervisor and I'll see if I can get an override to bring your value back down from your sale price to the original offer I gave you". He then came back with his original offer and I signed it, thinking what I originally wanted wasn't too far off the mark, and I didn't want to lose the offer again.

I was not making a scene or being rude/obnoxious at all. I was simply trying to get him to look at my evidence. By insisting, he abruptly withdrew the offer. It felt like being "punished" for dare asking. Then there was a follow up show of getting an "override" to put the offer back to the original offer, as if to say "this is one more chance, you already saw what could happen!"

This whole process is so ridiculous! Can you imagine if our income taxes were "negotiated" like this? The upside, though, is I got the 8.3% increase they originally proposed on the original blue mailer down to a 0.7% increase. So I'm happy enough. It's still not as good as the 20-30k decreases several of my neighbors got (who have almost identical houses).

Happy to answer any questions anyone may have.

Last edited by djslakor; 05-02-2019 at 08:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2019, 09:25 AM

1,770 posts, read 1,014,589 times
I was able to negotiate my own decrease more than a decade ago but they were more reasonable then. I now use a service. I don't like paying for the service but they seem to have a higher success rate these days. Is that fair and just, no, but I don't have time to fight the system.

Old 05-02-2019, 04:12 PM

1,049 posts, read 1,339,945 times
I'm not surprised to hear of the treatment you received. The entire process is a mess, IMO.

In years past I'd always managed to get the appraised value to come down from what they proposed by using tad.org.

This year the amount I proposed (online) was rejected, so I was asked to submit a file to support my proposed value. I wrote a short explanation based on comps mostly and then received an email stating the date and time of my in person hearing.

Shortly after, I received correspondence in the mail stating that their new proposed appraisal amount was what I had proposed and if I agreed to that, I had to sign it and return it. I did.

I was ready to go and argue my case, but my expectations for their level of competence and fairness was quite low (I've dealt with many government bureaucrats over the course of my life), so I was very pleased to not have to go in person.

The market value on my home has increased by 26% in three years, according to TAD, which might be close to the truth, but I think it's exaggerated a bit.

One question for you, OP: Did you not have a three-person audience with an arbiter and two folks arguing against you? Or did you not actually get a hearing? (It sounds like you only spoke to a receptionist).

This video helped me get a sense how the in-person protest works:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tt21f_mheH8

Old 05-03-2019, 08:13 AM

From talking with others, it seems to me the best strategy now is to use tad.org but only use the automated review as a hint for their lower echelon, then send in a letter with an even lower number than that.

Like you, several other people on my street sent in their own opinions which were FAR below tad's opinion, and they actually were approved! One person got hers down $53k (418->365k). Her home would definitely sell for at least $395 or so. The online tool would only go as low as $397k.

TAD is a mess. If you end up speaking to the right employee, or your letter happens to land on the right set of eyes, you can get a huge break. It's all luck of the draw, which is ridiculous.

I wish more people in the county knew to protest. I just taught about 5 people in my office how to do it. They had no idea. I think this is what TAD is banking on. Seems crooked AF.

Last edited by djslakor; 05-03-2019 at 08:30 AM..

Old 05-03-2019, 08:34 AM

1,049 posts, read 1,339,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djslakor View Post
From talking with others, it seems to me the best strategy now is to use tad.org but only use the automated review as a hint for their lower echelon, then send in a letter with an even lower number than that.

Like you, several other people on my street sent in their own opinions which were FAR below tad's opinion, and they actually were approved! One person got hers down $53k (418->365k). Her home would definitely sell for at least $395 or so. The online tool would only go as low as $397k.

TAD is a mess. If you end up speaking to the right employee, or your letter happens to land on the right set of eyes, you can get a huge break. It's all luck of the draw, which is ridiculous.

I wish more people in the county knew to protest. I just taught about 5 people in my office how to do it. They had no idea. I think this is what TAD is banking on. Seems crooked AF.
53K is great. I only got mine down 27K, perhaps I underestimated what was possible.

I definitely think that TAD is relying on ignorance and laziness in the masses, and they're making HUGE money on that. It's all very shady.

Old 05-03-2019, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campeador View Post
53K is great. I only got mine down 27K, perhaps I underestimated what was possible.

I definitely think that TAD is relying on ignorance and laziness in the masses, and they're making HUGE money on that. It's all very shady.

Coincidentally, I got mine down 27k as well. That still equates to almost $800 off of my tax bill later this year, for a small amount of effort. Next year I'm going to employ the strategy of sending in an offer. It seems to be the best bet. If your offer is within a reasonable ballpark, it seems they'd rather avoid the formal hearings and settle with you.

Old 05-03-2019, 09:18 AM

10,113 posts, read 21,346,900 times
My property is also unequally valued when compared with the other 8 identical homes in our subdivision. In our first year of ownership, I made a Google Earth map showing all of these properties' locations, and their values. I also pointed out that one of them that was lower than mine had a pool, while mine does not. My husband presented this to the Appraisal Board, and they agreed with the data, and lowered our value

Since then, all I do each year is keep a spreadsheet showing those properties' values, both total and per square foot, and my values. I do the same thing with the properties that TAD uses as comps. I pull all of the data straight off of the TAD website. I then ask that my value be set at the average of all of the other 8 properties' value. I submit this online on their website. It works like a charm, and my value is reduced every year! This year, I got them to come down $26k!

Old 05-03-2019, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
My property is also unequally valued when compared with the other 8 identical homes in our subdivision. In our first year of ownership, I made a Google Earth map showing all of these properties' locations, and their values. I also pointed out that one of them that was lower than mine had a pool, while mine does not. My husband presented this to the Appraisal Board, and they agreed with the data, and lowered our value

Since then, all I do each year is keep a spreadsheet showing those properties' values, both total and per square foot, and my values. I do the same thing with the properties that TAD uses as comps. I pull all of the data straight off of the TAD website. I then ask that my value be set at the average of all of the other 8 properties' value. I submit this online on their website. It works like a charm, and my value is reduced every year! This year, I got them to come down $26k!

That's pretty much what I did.

Old 05-03-2019, 10:58 AM

1,770 posts, read 1,014,589 times
I just asked online for about 9k off the value (the sale price late last year) and was granted it immediately. I wasn't asked to provide a reason either.

Old 05-03-2019, 03:20 PM

21 posts, read 9,881 times
We are under contract on a home in Fort Worth. I'm following this thread, since we're new to TX. We're paying significantly less than what the home appraised for and was listed for. Should I argue that we pay taxes based on the sale price or will my taxes be based off of the appraisal - which I don't think the county know - at least not initially.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or