Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 10:29 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,434,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf7 View Post
LOL I'm sure many of you "Dakotans" will continue migrating south. Just don't send old, bad drivers! And to get even w/ my ill-reference to people from the Dakotas, you can call me a "Texer".
Nameless, that's funny. I think it's actually true though.

Beowulf, "Texers", I like that. Actually, I know what you mean about the drivers though. Everyone is so used to driving in their little town and gawking around that they sometimes forget they're behind the wheel.

Since this is in the Ft. Worth forum, I'm wondering is it a really fast growing area? How does it compare to the other larger cities like Houston or Dallas or San Antonio?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2008, 10:29 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,023,541 times
BBBWWWHAHAHAHHAHAHAAAAA

panterachick .... i can remember thinking this back in the 70'S when it seemed like the ENTIRE upper midwest and a good portion of the northeast were moving to houston....... apologies to the peeps from and in those areas.... but anyone remember this old chestnut: would the last one out of michigan please turn out the lights??

as things turned out, several of my dearest and oldest friends were some of those transplants and i got a WONDERFUL god son out of the deal.....

and btw ..... i am planning to return "home" myself in about 2 years .... but not to worry, i won't be anywhere near "your" neck of the woods......

Old 04-17-2008, 10:41 AM

1,298 posts, read 4,286,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
That's the same way that I feel. MOST people are basically still good.

Blueskies, you didn't say if the people you had encountered were from North or South Dakota. There's quite a bit of difference between the two. But if they were from So. Dak., I apologize for the way they were. I think those are the three people that we threw out of our state.
Probably so!

Well, excuse my ignorance, Jammie, but I don't know about any differences between the two states. I don't remember which one they were from. Oh, I remember now that the worst girl was from S. Dakota because she would drive all the way home to get her tags and license renewed so that, God forbid, she didn't have to become a Texan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
panterachick .... i can remember thinking this back in the 70'S when it seemed like the ENTIRE upper midwest and a good portion of the northeast were moving to houston....... apologies to the peeps from and in those areas.... but anyone remember this old chestnut: would the last one out of michigan please turn out the lights??
Not just Houston, DFW too. I do remember those bumper stickers about Michigan, we had some of those up here. Then there were the ones in retort from the Texans that said either "Native Texan" or something about directing the yankees to take I-35 north to go back home.

Old 04-17-2008, 12:34 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,836,287 times
Thanks for that comment I agree

Old 04-17-2008, 12:48 PM

257 posts, read 986,456 times
Default bumper sticker

Speaking of bumper stickers in Houston I had one on the back of my pickup in the 70s that said,Let the bastards freeze in the dark,That was during the oil embargo when you could only buy gas every other day.The meaning was for the yankees to freeze.

Old 04-17-2008, 02:06 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,893,205 times
Want people to stop moving here?

Turn Fort Worth into a Rust Belt town. Or lie and say that a tornadoes are actually monsters who exist only to destroy Fort Worth.

Old 04-17-2008, 11:02 PM

5,412 posts, read 15,918,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
Nameless, that's funny. I think it's actually true though.

Beowulf, "Texers", I like that. Actually, I know what you mean about the drivers though. Everyone is so used to driving in their little town and gawking around that they sometimes forget they're behind the wheel.

Since this is in the Ft. Worth forum, I'm wondering is it a really fast growing area? How does it compare to the other larger cities like Houston or Dallas or San Antonio?
So the drivers are pretty bad in SD as well?

FW is growing pretty fast. I started this thread that showed the ISD my neighborhood is associated with is expected to almost triple in student population in just 1 decade (2001-2011)!

Old 04-18-2008, 06:55 AM

197 posts, read 776,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Cry me a river. Everything changes. So long as the DFW area is a major hotspot for jobs and a relatively inexpensive cost of living, people will flock. If you're averse to change, perhaps you should cash out and move to a stagnant state like South Dakota.
My DH grew up in upstate NY where there is negative growth. The small and formerly charming town where he grew up is slowly turning into shanty town from people leaving due to no lack of jobs and poor economic conditions. Supermarket closed.....things look decrepit. Be careful what you wish for because certainly no/negative growth is not desirable.

Having said that, I understand OPs adversity to change. However, it is part of life that the world keeps on moving around us. I currently live on a street that 20 years ago was made up of retirees whose children had fled the flock and were not living peacefully in their 50s style ranches. Little by little, the street has "turned" and now, 60% of the homes are McMansions. The older folks like the little children running around but it is a stark reminder that when they pass, the very homes where they lived and raised their families will be literally RAZED and paved over with new life.

Ironically, I live in one of those McMansions and I have heard plenty about the famous artist and his wife who lived in these hollowed grounds I now call home. When I think about them raising their children here, I remember that this city has been here longer than even them. Before them, other families must have lived here that are now forgotten. It's sad to me and yet, it's part of life.....

Wow, so contemplative at 9am! I better stop drinking coffee.

:-)

Lola

Old 04-18-2008, 11:55 AM

8,515 posts, read 16,179,786 times
I always thought develpoment which causes growth was good? Correct me if I am wrong. Folks cannot appreciate anything until it's taken away from them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpoeppel View Post
Well if you want a stagnant economy and depopulation, move up here to the Rust Belt of western PA. I would love to have economic growth and opportunity around here.

Old 04-21-2008, 01:20 PM

29 posts, read 98,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
.... but anyone remember this old chestnut: would the last one out of michigan please turn out the lights??
You kidding? It's become the state motto!!!

You know, I understand where the originator of this thread is coming from. When 9/11 happened, it was awful here in Detroit. We have the largest Arabic community in the U.S. in Dearborn, and it got pretty ugly. Most of those of non-Arabic descent were angry and resentful that they were here. I'm not going to lie and say that it's not still like that, but IMHO, if you move to a new place, it is so important to mesh with the locals. Adapt to their way of life - don't move in and build a moat around your home or even worse, expect to change the lifestyle, laws, etc. to suit yourself.

I think a major problem is a lack of respect from new residents to the lifestyles they move into. My husband and I are planning to move to DFW area and I can promise all of the Texans on this board, we will do our very best to adjust to the area and appreciate the flavor, because every city has their own flavor - that's what makes the US so WONDERFUL, don't you think??? Where else on earth can you get such a vast array of people and lifestyles in one country?

I think it's awesome and I for one, love that about the U.S.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth