U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2019, 11:04 AM

179 posts, read 86,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcualum View Post
What was scary about some of the ABA places?
Well, one place here in Arlington, the young woman who ran the business office, and was the first point of contact, had noticeable difficulty with english. It was not a second language for here. She was obviously someone born and raised in the US, grew up speaking english. But she had a painfully limited vocabulary, couldn't find words for concepts, and seemed to struggle with anything beyond very simple language. Then we met the young woman who ran the program. She is responsible for the administration of the therapy, but is still in undergraduate classes. She seemed unsure of what she was doing, and exhibited a serious lack of experience. That's all fine and well, no judgement. When it comes to our daughters needs, and the amount of money involved, I think that it's not unreasonable to expect more.

We ran into many other situations that were odd, or unexpected. Another facility had only one way for you to do their paperwork. It was several hundred pages, and you had to print it out, then drive it to their facility in Southlake. They didn't want you to mail it to them. So you go through at least one set of printer cartridges (probably more) then you have to drive it over. Another place just didn't feel right, and after I told them we were looking elsewhere, they continued to press us about using their services.

If we hadn't found Spectrum Services, we would have just waited for the Child Study Center. They were the only place that seemed professional and had a solid reputation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2019, 01:53 PM

1,773 posts, read 1,020,000 times
After we had our son tested at CSC, I wasn't impressed with the service we got there. It seemed like at the time there was a high turnover in their child psychiatrists. We also had a very bad experience when we checked out the Jane Justin Center.

Old 06-03-2019, 08:21 AM

Quote:
After we had our son tested at CSC, I wasn't impressed with the service we got there. It seemed like at the time there was a high turnover in their child psychiatrists. We also had a very bad experience when we checked out the Jane Justin Center.
Thanks for the heads up. We're still on the waiting list, but Nancy at Spectrum Services has already shown positive results, and has been a great boon to our family. That being the case, I don't know that we'll accept the slot when it becomes available. We'll go check it out, but we're not strongly compelled to pay what their services will likely cost when we're getting results already.

That's the other thing about Nancy Wainscott and Spectrum Services, she's incredibly affordable.

Old 06-03-2019, 03:47 PM

1,773 posts, read 1,020,000 times
We met with them Friday and I was surprised by how cheap they were. The location for us stinks though. I will tell you that I was impressed by how well the testing went at CSC though and how thorough it was.

Old 06-03-2019, 04:10 PM

Quote:
We met with them Friday and I was surprised by how cheap they were. The location for us stinks though. I will tell you that I was impressed by how well the testing went at CSC though and how thorough it was.
Yeah, the location is bad for at least a few. One family drives from SW Fort Worth. She's made a huge difference for everyone I've spoken to there. I made it a point to talk to the other parents there, I wanted to get some idea up front as to what I might be able to expect.

It may not be for you, if you find other alternatives, I'd love to hear about them. I must have looked through forty to sixty different providers, all to no avail for various reasons.

I'm of a mixed mind about the CSC. I've heard good things, I've heard less than good things. Thought I should check them out for myself. The questionnaire I filled out to be put on the waiting list was extensive, and seemed well thought out. We'll see. We've been on the wait list around nine months now.

In either case, we'll continue with SS, as Nancy has helped, and she is a great advocate on various fronts, not just when it comes to dealing with schools. She's going with us to play hardball with our daughter's school when the new school year begins. The school really dealt with us in a dirty and dishonest way. Nancy knows all the laws and regulations and is going to make sure they provide everything they are obliged to. She's done this with others to spectacular effect.

Old 07-14-2019, 10:26 AM

22 posts, read 5,187 times
I heard (and read) that Foster Village es is horrible for kids with learning disabilities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or