U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2019, 10:19 AM

6 posts, read 3,548 times

Advertisements

Looking to move back to Texas for work in the next couple of months. Office is downtown Ft. Worth, but I'm looking to get the most out of my housing budget(~350k), and was thinking about Granbury/Glen Rose area.

I'm trying to satisfy a few different wants in a property:

Golf
RC airplanes
Lake/Boating
Acreage

I'd be happy with 2 out of the 4 desires above.

I have considered Granbury, as it has a couple of country clubs which would meet the golfing hobby, and the prices seem lower than much of DFW. But I've been away for about 8 years and am not sure if the lower prices are due to fluctuating lake levels, commute time, crime or something different(hoa fees?)? Any Insight into Granbury area? any other suggestions?

I'm open to other areas as well, just looking for some local input on the current status of areas to consider. Housing prices have greatly increased since we left Joshua in 2011, so I'm experiencing a little bit of sticker shock! But, it is what it is.

Any advice from anyone who lives in Pecan Plantation or Decordova Bend? I've never been a part of a country club, so tell me what I'm missing or what I should avoid.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2019, 12:07 PM

10,112 posts, read 21,338,084 times
That daily commute into downtown is going to be awful! You're looking at between 1 and 1.5 hours of drive time each way, and you'll be putting between 70 miles (DeCordova) and 110 miles (Glen Rose) on your car every day.

Anecdotally, that area also experiences a lot of severe storms and tornadoes, too. We have friends that live in Pecan Plantation, and they have had several close calls with tornadoes since moving there. It seems that the areas south of I-20 gets hit more often than the rest of DFW.

Old 05-22-2019, 02:51 PM

1,049 posts, read 1,339,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtoTX19 View Post
Looking to move back to Texas for work in the next couple of months. Office is downtown Ft. Worth, but I'm looking to get the most out of my housing budget(~350k), and was thinking about Granbury/Glen Rose area.

I'm trying to satisfy a few different wants in a property:

Golf
RC airplanes
Lake/Boating
Acreage

I'd be happy with 2 out of the 4 desires above.

I have considered Granbury, as it has a couple of country clubs which would meet the golfing hobby, and the prices seem lower than much of DFW. But I've been away for about 8 years and am not sure if the lower prices are due to fluctuating lake levels, commute time, crime or something different(hoa fees?)? Any Insight into Granbury area? any other suggestions?

I'm open to other areas as well, just looking for some local input on the current status of areas to consider. Housing prices have greatly increased since we left Joshua in 2011, so I'm experiencing a little bit of sticker shock! But, it is what it is.

Any advice from anyone who lives in Pecan Plantation or Decordova Bend? I've never been a part of a country club, so tell me what I'm missing or what I should avoid.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks.
It's likely that traffic has gotten worse in the 8 years you've been away. Pecan Plantation is nice, but it's a full 1.5 hours away from DT. That's a beast of a commute.

Mansfield is less rural, but has CCs at a cheaper price point and not nearly as far out.

Old 05-22-2019, 05:57 PM

64 posts, read 19,324 times
121 Chisolm Trail toll road runs from downtown Fort Worth to Cleburne now !

Old 05-23-2019, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise 11 View Post
121 Chisolm Trail toll road runs from downtown Fort Worth to Cleburne now !
Cleburne is definitely on the list of possible areas. Was hoping to avoid the accrual of tolls, but properties with acreage are more available in the Cleburne area.

Thanks.

Old 05-23-2019, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Cleburne is definitely on the list of possible areas. Was hoping to avoid the accrual of tolls, but properties with acreage are more available in the Cleburne area.

Thanks.
It will be better once additional lanes are added. There are still lengthy stretches of single lane and inevitably there is someone on the toll road whom feels the necessity to travel 45-50 mph and, worse yet, they will remain in the left lane side by side with slower moving traffic in the few areas where passing is possible... They are obviously the same breed of daydreaming troglodytes that drive 60mph in left lane on I-35 (despite the numerous posted signs that state "left lane for passing only"), side by side with other slow moving traffic, as if they believe the 15 miles of bumper to bumper traffic accumulated behind them is because they are leading a convoy !

Have you looked at the Retreat ? They have golf, clubhouse, etc. and I believe an RC airstrip if I am not mistaken.

Old 05-23-2019, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise 11 View Post
It will be better once additional lanes are added. There are still lengthy stretches of single lane and inevitably there is someone on the toll road whom feels the necessity to travel 45-50 mph and, worse yet, they will remain in the left lane side by side with slower moving traffic in the few areas where passing is possible... They are obviously the same breed of daydreaming troglodytes that drive 60mph in left lane on I-35 (despite the numerous posted signs that state "left lane for passing only"), side by side with other slow moving traffic, as if they believe the 15 miles of bumper to bumper traffic accumulated behind them is because they are leading a convoy !

Have you looked at the Retreat ? They have golf, clubhouse, etc. and I believe an RC airstrip if I am not mistaken.
I totally forgot about the retreat. It was relatively new when I was working around that area. I've been looking at a few houses on Realtor.com and there a re a couple of really nice ones for sale right now. This is now high on the list.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Old 05-23-2019, 12:40 PM

Quote:
I totally forgot about the retreat. It was relatively new when I was working around that area. I've been looking at a few houses on Realtor.com and there a re a couple of really nice ones for sale right now. This is now high on the list.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Old 05-24-2019, 05:32 AM

Looking at the aerials and information on The Retreat, it looks like the community never fully developed. I assume that is because of the rural location. However, I am reading some negative reviews on Double Diamond Resorts(owner of the Retreat) and am wondering if anyone has any insight into actually living at The Retreat.

The golf course looks great, and the community looks nice online, but it seems that the houses that are listed are overpriced and not moving quickly.

Any additional insight into this development would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance!

Old 05-26-2019, 11:23 AM

10,112 posts, read 21,338,084 times
I'm not familiar with the community, but I do know that Cleburne schools don't have a great reputation, so that has likely slowed the growth. Also, it is still a long way from downtown Fort Worth. You'd still be putting about 100 miles per day on your car. The website says 30 minutes but that is being quite optimistic. Waze says the Chisholm Trail (toll road) option is 42 minutes, and the 35W option is 50 minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or