Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2019, 08:27 AM

32 posts, read 39,092 times

Advertisements

In our quest for a retirement home, Aledo has come to our attention as a small, semirural, quality community. We are somewhat familiar with the north Dallas area, but don’t know anything about the Fort Worth suburbs. For those familiar with the area, what are your thoughts on the pros and cons of the city? We are interested in comments about any aspect of Aledo, retirement based or not. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2019, 08:55 AM

2,510 posts, read 2,211,278 times
I don't know much about Aledo except that it's growing rapidly so expect housing prices to increase as well. The Aledo schools are bursting at the seams. Wherever you move to, make sure you have more than one route to 20. A lot of these small communities are not adequately planning their road infrastructure for the rapid growth they're experiencing so their roads to 20 can't handle the amount of traffic they're getting and there aren't plans to deal with that. My husband, for example, wanted to move to a new community just south of Benbrook and the only way to get to 20 was 377. Traffic on 377 was already awful and there plans to build even more neighborhoods along 377 south of the high school. I put my foot down and told him no.

Old 05-30-2019, 12:40 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,854,435 times
Due to the excellent schools and proximity to Fort Worth, it's pretty safe to say that Aledo isn't going to remain semi-rural for too much longer. The traffic mentioned by TCUAlum is definitely going to continue to be an issue, and when the huge Walsh Ranch development is built out, I-20 is going to be just as bad as 75 at rush hour.

If you're looking for a retirement place, consider looking south of Fort Worth like in Crowley, Cleburne, Alvarado, etc. The schools down there are not as well-regarded, so the growth is much slower.

Old 05-30-2019, 01:55 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,695,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leavesseasons View Post
In our quest for a retirement home, Aledo has come to our attention as a small, semirural, quality community. We are somewhat familiar with the north Dallas area, but don’t know anything about the Fort Worth suburbs. For those familiar with the area, what are your thoughts on the pros and cons of the city? We are interested in comments about any aspect of Aledo, retirement based or not. Thank you.
What I know about Aledo is that it is not what you describe. It is a fast-growing suburb of FW that will have major commute headaches in the near future, as posters upthread have observed.

I'd look near or on PK lake or down in/ near Glen Rose for retirement communities in line with the semi-rural description you say you are seeking.

Old 05-30-2019, 01:59 PM

Thank you both for your response. In my research I did see information about the Walsh and Morningstar developments. I wondered, particularly with the size of Walsh, how the city plans to handle the infrastructure needs with so many new homes. The early stages of development are when proper plans need to be put in place. Schools are important to us because quality schools generally equate to quality communities and strong property values. This would be our ‘forever home’ so we don’t plan to sell down the line, but we do appreciate living in a good area. The traffic issues Tcualum mentioned isi definitely good to know. We won’t be traveling to work, but will visit the airport a few times a year and of course want relatively easy access to healthcare and shopping. Thanks again for your help; there’s nothing like hearing from people with direct knowledge of the area.

Old 05-30-2019, 03:14 PM

4,001 posts, read 3,261,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campeador View Post
What I know about Aledo is that it is not what you describe. It is a fast-growing suburb of FW that will have major commute headaches in the near future, as posters upthread have observed.

I'd look near or on PK lake or down in/ near Glen Rose for retirement communities in line with the semi-rural description you say you are seeking.
I would second taking a look around Glen Rose. The area is also pretty scenic they have a decent small hospital as well as decent restaurants and a full-service grocery store.

Old 05-30-2019, 03:45 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,854,435 times
Glen Rose is nice. I attend events there 2 weekends annually, and we always have a good time. The golf course is very popular, there are some good restaurants, and the Brookshire's and Dollar general are decent for groceries. It's also only 20 minutes to Granbury, which has a WalMart, chain restaurants, and a bigger hospital. Fort Worth's shopping, restaurants and major hospitals are just an hour away.

Old 05-30-2019, 04:36 PM

Thanks Treasure Valley and Christie. Took a brief look at Glen Rose online. It looks nice, but seems to be a bit out there. Still, will look further and maybe visit there on our next trip to TX.

I should clarify that in my original post I mentioned that I ‘heard’ Aledo is semi-rural, which is fine with us. However, semi-rural is not a must. We are fine with the suburbs, especially those that have managed to maintain some open space. I can’t specify the size of the suburb we would prefer because 150,000 people in a city the geographical size of McKinney or Celina is nothing like that same population in the area we currently live which averages a city size of 5-15 square miles and populations of 35-65,000 plus.

Old 06-04-2019, 07:00 AM

9 posts, read 6,321 times
I work both the Aledo and Glen Rose areas. Aledo has better proximity to the metroplex variety of business/activities. Glen Rose is limited in availability of both.. However, that is a dual edged sword on both counts. Glen Rose is peaceful, lots of outdoor activities and state parks in the area. Aledo is typical suburbia, traffic, noise, and light pollution. Home values are also drastically wide ranging. Aledo is Parker County with higher taxes and EPA regulations. Glen Rose is Somervell County, lower taxes and no EPA regulations.. Let me know if you want to see anything in either place.

mod cut

Last edited by Acntx; 06-19-2019 at 12:26 PM.. Reason: Posting your real name in a public forum isn't recommended.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth