U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2019, 07:50 AM

4,854 posts, read 2,928,411 times

Advertisements

Alright, Texas. It looks like we're coming your way for Thanksgiving 2019. Father-in-law lives in Arlington so we're trying to decide where to look for an Airbnb or hotel. I don't know much about Arlington other than it hosts the Cowboys which we couldn't care less about.

We are trying to strike a balance between just staying in and visiting and exploring the area. If we do decide against Arlington we'd like to stay on the east side of Fort Worth or west side of Dallas. We know nothing about any of these cities. Are there good places to stay in those areas? Are there things to do? Would we be better off staying in Arlington?

Family of four (kids 8 & 10)
We like to explore cities and the outdoors
We don't care about shopping
Please nothing about children's museums
I'd love to hear about unique experiences

Considering we'll be there for Thanksgiving will the home Cowboys game give us any grief?

I'd love to hear any advice, recommendations, or warnings you may have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2019, 11:55 AM

4,629 posts, read 3,697,405 times
Hi, I'm assuming you mean east OF Fort Worth and west OF Dallas?

If so, you might consider staying at the Hilton in Southlake Town Center (no idea of cost). It is about 17 miles to your FIL's neighborhood. Although that is mostly a shopping area, it is centrally located and you can walk to restaurants and the movie theater. I think Santa comes there if your kids still believe.

There is also the Gaylord Hotel in Grapevine. Even if you don't stay there, you can visit the ice exhibit which is Christmas themed. Grapevine has a cute little historic downtown to walk around. It is also easy to get there from Southlake.

The Fort Worth symphony will have a Christmas show performance at Bass Hall on the Friday and Saturday after Thanksgiving. Bass Hall is lovely and is well worth visiting for a special performance.

The cattle drive occurs in Fort Worth every day.

You might check to see if there is a rodeo in town.

Six Flags over Texas might be open.

There is an indoor water park in Grand Prairie called Epic Waters.

The Fort Worth Zoo is one of the best zoos in the country.

Christmas lights might be up and open at Texas Motor Speedway.

Hope this helps.

Old 06-12-2019, 12:28 PM

6,207 posts, read 4,981,107 times
Stay in North Arlington, Grapevine, Bedford, Hurst or Euless (the Mid-Cities) — convenient to Dallas and Ft. Worth and your family.

Old 06-12-2019, 01:52 PM

367 posts, read 196,842 times
I wouldn't recommend East Fort Worth or West Dallas. At first I though about the hotels around Ranger's stadium / Six Flags in Arlington, but WorldKlas suggestions are better.

Old 06-12-2019, 01:54 PM

1,049 posts, read 1,339,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
Alright, Texas. It looks like we're coming your way for Thanksgiving 2019. Father-in-law lives in Arlington so we're trying to decide where to look for an Airbnb or hotel. I don't know much about Arlington other than it hosts the Cowboys which we couldn't care less about.

We are trying to strike a balance between just staying in and visiting and exploring the area. If we do decide against Arlington we'd like to stay on the east side of Fort Worth or west side of Dallas. We know nothing about any of these cities. Are there good places to stay in those areas? Are there things to do? Would we be better off staying in Arlington?

Family of four (kids 8 & 10)
We like to explore cities and the outdoors
We don't care about shopping
Please nothing about children's museums
I'd love to hear about unique experiences

Considering we'll be there for Thanksgiving will the home Cowboys game give us any grief?

I'd love to hear any advice, recommendations, or warnings you may have.
I'd recommend either staying close to your father in law in Arlington, or downtown Fort Worth. You mention that you seek unique experiences. DFW is pretty generic, overall, especially in the sprawling suburbs. There is some idiosyncratic flavor, however, in and around downtown. Rent bikes and ride the Trinity trails. Enjoy Sundance Square; check out the museums (Modern, Kimbell and Amon Carter) in the cultural district; get dinner and/or ice cream/ drinks on Magnolia just south of downtown. There's more local flavor in the center of FW and less malls and corporate businesses you would find anywhere else in the US.

Old 06-12-2019, 04:46 PM

1,759 posts, read 1,009,426 times
I used to live in Arlington and now live in Fort Worth. I did grow up in Dallas though and until a month ago, my parents lived there. If you're going to choose between Dallas and Fort Worth, I recommend Fort Worth. It's much easier to go back and forth between Fort Worth and Arlington, and there's much more for tourists to do in Fort Worth. My recommendation is a hotel near I30 in either Arlington or Fort Worth. If you're on I30 then it's a relatively straight shot to the downtowns in Dallas or Fort Worth.

Old 06-14-2019, 07:47 AM

4,854 posts, read 2,928,411 times
Thanks everyone! Even on the Dallas board I'm getting the impression we should go towards Fort Worth.
I'll look into a few of these suggestions. The holiday performance sounds like something we'd be interested in. Not so much Santa. We have season passes to Six Flags Great America and I believe they reciprocate so that may be an option.

Is there any type of rail connecting the two cities? Are there walkable neighborhoods in Fort Worth I may be able to find an Airbnb?

Old 06-14-2019, 07:51 AM

50,037 posts, read 39,777,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
Hi, I'm assuming you mean east OF Fort Worth and west OF Dallas?

If so, you might consider staying at the Hilton in Southlake Town Center (no idea of cost). It is about 17 miles to your FIL's neighborhood. Although that is mostly a shopping area, it is centrally located and you can walk to restaurants and the movie theater. I think Santa comes there if your kids still believe.

There is also the Gaylord Hotel in Grapevine. Even if you don't stay there, you can visit the ice exhibit which is Christmas themed. Grapevine has a cute little historic downtown to walk around. It is also easy to get there from Southlake.

The Fort Worth symphony will have a Christmas show performance at Bass Hall on the Friday and Saturday after Thanksgiving. Bass Hall is lovely and is well worth visiting for a special performance.

The cattle drive occurs in Fort Worth every day.

You might check to see if there is a rodeo in town.

Six Flags over Texas might be open.

There is an indoor water park in Grand Prairie called Epic Waters.

The Fort Worth Zoo is one of the best zoos in the country.

Christmas lights might be up and open at Texas Motor Speedway.

Hope this helps.
All this!

Plus I want to add that in addition to "Olde Town Fort Worth" with the cattle drive and stockyards, there is also a booming Arts district with some great museums. NOT "kid museums" or attractions - bona fide excellent museums and exhibits. Also some fun, funky restaurants.

Personally my vote goes for either a hotel around the Stockyards in Fort Worth or the Gaylord in Grapevine.

Whatever you do, don't visit without taking the family to the Fort Worth Stockyards and Arts District.

Sounds like a fun vacation!

Old 06-14-2019, 09:01 AM

1,759 posts, read 1,009,426 times
I would recommend a hotel in the Sundance Square area because you can walk out the door in the evening and find lots of great places to eat within walking distance. It's also close to the train station if you choose to take the train to the Stars game. You won't be able to walk to the station though. I'm not sure that you'll be able to find a good Air BnB in that area. I've never looked for one.

I wouldn't stay at the Gaylord because it's far from everything you wish to do, but Grapevine is a fun day trip. The Gaylord has beautiful Christmas decorations in the indoor courtyard and historic downtown Grapevine is a fun place to window shop and eat lunch.

Check the websites https://www.guidelive.com/ and https://artandseek.org/ for local events while you're in town.

Old 06-14-2019, 09:40 AM

1,049 posts, read 1,339,168 times
TCUAlum's recommendation for Sundance Square is spot on for what you seek. From there you can take a quick Uber to anything of interest in Fort Worth (Cultural district's museums and restaurants, West 7th, Magnolia and S. Main's restaurants/bars/cafes) and to the T & P station to catch the train to the Stars game. You might also consider going to the TCU - West Virginia football game on the 29th (Friday). The campus is beautiful and games are fun.

Sundance Square is also by far the most attractive option for pedestrian friendly activities.

While I'd recommend spending a couple of hours in the Stockyards, I wouldn't recommend staying there. I've always found it a bit like an Epcot center version of the "old west"; overall, it feels artificial and touristy, although I do admit that there are some neat gems mixed in (I like the murals, in particular). Just my 2 cents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or