U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2019, 08:43 AM

2 posts, read 874 times

Advertisements

Hi!

I am looking for a second home with in a half hour of TCU and don’t know where to start. I’d like to do a little research before talking to a real estate agent. I heard south lake was nice... this will be a vacation home so I am looking for a place that might have more of a resort feel. Community pool, perhaps golf, country club, gated, maybe even lake. We want to be in an area close to great restaurants and shopping. Budget doesn’t matter. Please help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2019, 09:07 AM

10,112 posts, read 21,338,084 times
Southlake is an upscale suburb with housing prices starting around $700k. Timmarron Country Club is the big gated community there, but most homes are actual occupied dwellings, not vacation homes.

Have you considered Eagle Mountain Lake, Granbury/De Cordove/Pecan Plantation? All of those are going to be further than 30 minutes from Fort Worth, but they have much more of a vacation home feel than Southlake.

Old 07-22-2019, 12:06 PM

1,759 posts, read 1,009,426 times
If you need a good agent message me. I have a fabulous agent who has experience all over DFW with high end homes and is currently helping us look for in the TCU area. We bought a placeholder home so we could move quickly but we want to move upmarket again.

Old 07-22-2019, 12:31 PM

1,521 posts, read 772,291 times
Christie has the right idea - Eagle Mountain Lake, Granbury/De Cordove/Pecan Plantation. Farther out - Possum Kingdom to the west, Cedar Creek Lake to the Southeast (Athens) or Lake Texoma.

Old 07-22-2019, 03:06 PM

4,626 posts, read 3,697,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcuareahelp View Post
Hi!

I am looking for a second home with in a half hour of TCU and don’t know where to start. I’d like to do a little research before talking to a real estate agent. I heard south lake was nice... this will be a vacation home so I am looking for a place that might have more of a resort feel. Community pool, perhaps golf, country club, gated, maybe even lake. We want to be in an area close to great restaurants and shopping. Budget doesn’t matter. Please help!
There is a really beautiful neaighborhood diagonally across from Central High School. There are homes on top of a high hill that look out towards downtown FW. Last I checked prices were about $900K. It's something like The Bluffs or Hilltop at The Bluffs. Do any of you realtors know? I think it's in the Heritage area.

Anyway, that area is about 30 minutes from TCU.

Old 07-22-2019, 03:31 PM

6,207 posts, read 4,981,107 times
There’s a really nice condo community near the downtown area of Southlake that’s very nice but Southlake isn’t in the TCU area and South Lake is not reliably 30 min away. There’s some great gated resort -like communities southwest of Hulen Mall that would be a better location.

There are also some great condos in downtown Fort Worth. Not terribly far from TCU area and just a wonderful location. I prefer lock and leave residences for vacation homes so in-city condos with on-site staff and premium amenities like valet parking, upscale restaurants and fitness center on site, yoga studio, restaurants, roof top infinity pools, etc.... and 24/7 concierge (that were commercially built to be condos) are a great solution.

Be aware, these days, many golf courses are closing down and communities with golf courses are being threatened with the impact of this. I own a house on a golf course and my investment and view will be seriously degraded if our golf course closes. So think hard about your purchase.

Granbury is also worth checking out — but again it 30 min +/- from TCU.

Last edited by WorldKlas; 07-22-2019 at 03:42 PM..

Old 07-22-2019, 05:44 PM

1,759 posts, read 1,009,426 times
The traffic from TCU to Southlake can easily take longer than 30 minutes at some times of day. The traffic driving through the downtown area can be awful. It's not gated and it's not a vacation community but one option that's out of the box is Viridian in Arlington. They have a sailing, kayaking, and fishing lake along with multiple community pools. They also have lots of community activities and access to excellent hike and bike trails via River Legacy Park. You can also easily reach downtown Dallas and downtown Fort Worth from there and if you like pro sports the Rangers and Cowboys are nearby. Downtown Arlington is up and coming and there some great local restaurants in the area. While the neighborhood doesn't have a golf course, there are multiple courses and country clubs nearby.

Old 07-23-2019, 12:07 PM

146 posts, read 91,741 times
Walsh Ranch is a new development that is just getting started on the west side of Fort Worth. Its not really a country club but they do plan to have a lot of amenities such as a pool/splash pad, community center with family activities, athletic clubs, tennis courts, fishing ponds, and I believe they are also planning on a golf course at some point in the future.

Old 07-23-2019, 03:46 PM

609 posts, read 838,059 times
Almost all of Timmaron in Southlake is not gated. I only know of one area of it that is gated and it might be less than 30 homes. That said, I can’t think of anything in Southlake or any of the immediate suburbs that has a vacation home feel.

Old 07-23-2019, 04:02 PM

1,049 posts, read 1,339,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbb303 View Post
Almost all of Timmaron in Southlake is not gated. I only know of one area of it that is gated and it might be less than 30 homes. That said, I can’t think of anything in Southlake or any of the immediate suburbs that has a vacation home feel.
Nor is anything in Southlake in the "TCU area".

Miravista is your best bet, OP, if you must have gates around your neighborhood. Otherwise, there are many excellent neighborhoods around TCU that might serve your purposes. Look near Colonial, Rivercrest, Ridgelea, or Shady Oaks golf courses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth