U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2019, 05:49 AM

10 posts, read 3,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
Not sure if you've made your trip here yet, but...

What is your budget?

If you could afford it, I would recommend Westlake. It is absolutely gorgeous and is 5 miles closer to Denton than Southlake is, but it is pricey.

I'm going to be honest, I really like Southlake, but Southlake to Denton is not a commute I would want to do. The rule of thumb is to allow 2-3 minutes a mile, and as the area grows, it is more going to be like 3 minutes than 2 minutes. An hour commute is not something I'd choose with 2 young children.

Driving here is different than driving further east. There is a weird space-time continuum here. We live 6 miles from my daughter's school and it takes 25 minutes. Traffic lights are loooooong here.

Also that small town feel with the historic district that you describe is nothing like Southlake. I'd look at Argyle if you want that. McKinney would be more similar but I think that commute is not reasonable. Denton itself has an historic square. But that is not what Southlake feels like. Also more people here have private backyard pools, which again makes the neighborhoods have a slightly different feel. Bridlewood in Flower Mound is closer to having that same kind of country club feel.

HTH and good luck.

We are coming out at the end of the month! I've joined some local groups in the area and many are suggesting Argyle. Does Argyle have it's own shopping? Whole food type places? It seems so rural to me. We have looked at Westlake but the elementary school is rated kinda low (we will only be in the area 2-3 years so an excellent elementary is important to us). I have never been to the area. Right now we are planning on visiting Southlake, Trophy Club, Roanoke, Flower Mound, Argly and Highland Village. Just started looking at Keller too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2019, 05:51 AM

Does Highland Village have a small town feel? We want a somewhat affluent town with a small town vibe...if that exists. Hahahah

Old 09-13-2019, 05:53 AM

One more question foe anyone still reading. Do Lewisville schools have a negative connotation? Highland Village is Lewisville ISD and I'm reading mixed reviews even though it appears the schools are have high ratings.

Old 09-13-2019, 08:48 AM

4,674 posts, read 3,733,677 times
I'm glad you'll be coming down here soon so that you can get a sense of the size of these towns and the distances involved.

I think you'll find that a 20+ mile commute, which is reasonable in many places, is not very reasonable here. That can easily be an hour each way, and the roads here are not always simple and smooth like you may be used to. Driving here is different and likely much more stressful than you are used to. I cannot emphasize that enough. My husband's office is 9 miles away door to door, and it can take him 30-45 minutes.

Southlake and Keller are IMO too far. I live here and I would never want to commute to Denton every day. Trophy Club might be OK if you are towards the north side. Trophy Club might give you more of the feeing you are looking for. It is far easier for you to drive to Whole Foods once a week than for your husband to drive to Denton 5 days a week.

Highland Village (don't live there, but we did look there while house hunting) is basically an extension of Flower Mound. Lewisvile ISD that feeds into Flower Mound HS or Marcus HS is excellent. Avoid feeding into Lewisville HS.

I wouldn't say that Highland Village has a small town feel. Honestly, most of the places that you're talking about do not have a small town feel. They feel like large suburbs in a major metro area. Roads are 6 lanes, stores are large, schools are big. Argyle is the smallest I would say of the places you mentioned. Southlake for example may seem like a nice smaller size suburb, but the shopping becomes very crowded (avoid Costco on the weekends) and traffic can be heavy. "Affluent small town vibe" here more likely mean "upscale large suburb".

I'm a little bit confused by your worry that these places are too rural?

All of these places are very nice, some of are even very upscale. But if you expect to replicate your atmosphere in OH here in TX, you might be quite disappointed. I would prioritize commute and schools first, then worry about shopping and amenities.

Old 09-13-2019, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
I'm glad you'll be coming down here soon so that you can get a sense of the size of these towns and the distances involved.

I think you'll find that a 20+ mile commute, which is reasonable in many places, is not very reasonable here. That can easily be an hour each way, and the roads here are not always simple and smooth like you may be used to. Driving here is different and likely much more stressful than you are used to. I cannot emphasize that enough. My husband's office is 9 miles away door to door, and it can take him 30-45 minutes.

Southlake and Keller are IMO too far. I live here and I would never want to commute to Denton every day. Trophy Club might be OK if you are towards the north side. Trophy Club might give you more of the feeing you are looking for. It is far easier for you to drive to Whole Foods once a week than for your husband to drive to Denton 5 days a week.

Highland Village (don't live there, but we did look there while house hunting) is basically an extension of Flower Mound. Lewisvile ISD that feeds into Flower Mound HS or Marcus HS is excellent. Avoid feeding into Lewisville HS.

I wouldn't say that Highland Village has a small town feel. Honestly, most of the places that you're talking about do not have a small town feel. They feel like large suburbs in a major metro area. Roads are 6 lanes, stores are large, schools are big. Argyle is the smallest I would say of the places you mentioned. Southlake for example may seem like a nice smaller size suburb, but the shopping becomes very crowded (avoid Costco on the weekends) and traffic can be heavy. "Affluent small town vibe" here more likely mean "upscale large suburb".

I'm a little bit confused by your worry that these places are too rural?

All of these places are very nice, some of are even very upscale. But if you expect to replicate your atmosphere in OH here in TX, you might be quite disappointed. I would prioritize commute and schools first, then worry about shopping and amenities.

Thank you so much for all this info. I'm sorry if I sound confusing, to be quite honest I am overwhelmed and ALL my info is coming from blogs, forums and mom groups. I have read many times Argyle was "farmland", "in the middle of nowhere" and that many people had farms, horses etc. While i realize we can't duplicate exactly what we have now (we are quite spoiled), Argyle seems to be much different than what we are used to. In a Highland Village moms group, many have described it as a town w a small town feel, good shopping, restaurants etc. This sounded more similar to our current town. We LOVE good restaurants so a town with some options for us would be a wonderful bonus. I'm praying once we visit we will have a better understanding of what we are in for.

As far as my husbands commute, it's not a traditional M-F, 9-5 job. He will be there often and he wants it under 45 mins BUT a town we feel at home in is our top priority. I hope that makes sense. Thanks again for taking the time to comment, it's been so helpful!

Old 09-13-2019, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaun1980 View Post
Thank you so much for all this info. I'm sorry if I sound confusing, to be quite honest I am overwhelmed and ALL my info is coming from blogs, forums and mom groups. I have read many times Argyle was "farmland", "in the middle of nowhere" and that many people had farms, horses etc. While i realize we can't duplicate exactly what we have now (we are quite spoiled), Argyle seems to be much different than what we are used to. In a Highland Village moms group, many have described it as a town w a small town feel, good shopping, restaurants etc. This sounded more similar to our current town. We LOVE good restaurants so a town with some options for us would be a wonderful bonus. I'm praying once we visit we will have a better understanding of what we are in for.

As far as my husbands commute, it's not a traditional M-F, 9-5 job. He will be there often and he wants it under 45 mins BUT a town we feel at home in is our top priority. I hope that makes sense. Thanks again for taking the time to comment, it's been so helpful!
Well, good luck with your move!

You may also want to post this question on the Dallas sun forum--that is a more active board.

Last edited by calgirlinnc; 09-13-2019 at 12:13 PM..

Old 09-14-2019, 08:45 AM

206 posts, read 237,754 times
calgirlinnc gives good advice here. Argyle is more rural but you can get to FM/HV in 10-15 minutes or up to the west side of Denton in the same depending on where in Argyle you are. HV moms are very proud of their schools and they are right - there is a very close knit feel in the elementary schools there. Lot sizes and home sizes in HV are comparable to the rest of the suburbs but being on the fringes of the metroplex give the HV/FM area a more isolated feel IMO.

If you're also looking at Southlake your budget is healthy enough to get a really good home anywhere you choose. Also, while Southlake's population may be small compared to the rest there are way more people than that in Southlake on any given day. Its crowded and traffic is just as heavy there as in the burbs with a much higher population. However, you may find it is exactly the feel you are looking for.

Good luck!

Old 09-14-2019, 08:49 AM

206 posts, read 237,754 times
Also, to be more specific to your questions, all of the northern DFW burbs have an affluent feel in my opinion. There's money here and it shows. And there's a Whole Foods in Highland Village so Argyle to Whole Foods would be about 10-15 like everything else in Argyle.

Old 09-16-2019, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonsmom4 View Post
Also, to be more specific to your questions, all of the northern DFW burbs have an affluent feel in my opinion. There's money here and it shows. And there's a Whole Foods in Highland Village so Argyle to Whole Foods would be about 10-15 like everything else in Argyle.
Thank you! We will be visiting in a little over a week! We have Argyle on our list. I think I'm most confused about school info. While HV/FloMo seem to have great schools/ratings, is there a negative connotation with Lewisville ISD? I'm getting a lot of conflicted info.

Old 09-16-2019, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaun1980 View Post
Thank you! We will be visiting in a little over a week! We have Argyle on our list. I think I'm most confused about school info. While HV/FloMo seem to have great schools/ratings, is there a negative connotation with Lewisville ISD? I'm getting a lot of conflicted info.
No, the "negative connotation" is with Lewisville HS, not Lewisville ISD. FM and HV schools are also part of that ISD.

Last edited by calgirlinnc; 09-16-2019 at 06:39 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or