U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2019, 11:23 AM

10 posts, read 3,803 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! We are planning on moving from Ohio to the Dallas/Fort Worth area. My husband will be working in Denton. I have done TONS of research and read through hundreds of threads and Southlake is where I THINK we will be happiest. We currently live in a small Ohio town (30,000 people) with a historic district, tons of family events (we have a 3 and 5 year old), and amazing schools. We also live in a country club community where we can ride our golf cart to our community pool, restaurant and park. We are looking for a similar town/neighborhood. We have also looked at Highland Village but have heard mixed reviews about the schools.

I've looked at the commute from Southlake to Denton and on google maps is says 28 minutes. However i have read mixed things about how long it will actually take. Are there back roads he could take? Is that commute a nightmare or is it realistic to pursue Southlake? I have looked at SO many other towns and I'm not crazy about how rural some of them seem or the schools in many cases. Our family will be visiting for the first time this month. Right now we are checking out Southlake and Highland Village. Are we on the right track??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2019, 01:10 PM

609 posts, read 838,418 times
You could do worse than Southlake to Denton. 28 minutes is probably on the very low end, 45 is more realistic. Most of the traffic will be getting out of and into Southlake. There are a few back roads, but they might not be any quicker than the freeways. Southlake has fantastic schools and I'm not just saying that because my wife works there. You'll find your detractors of the town, but it fits pretty close to your criteria.

Old 09-09-2019, 01:18 PM

10,113 posts, read 21,343,827 times
There are only two routes from Southlake to Denton: I35W and 377. There is no bridge across Lake Grapevine, so you have to go around the lake in order to head north. I35W is more miles, but there are rarely major accidents, and traffic back and forth to Denton isn't too bad. 377 is another story. It is only 2 lanes with no center divider, so head-on crashes and major accidents do occur, which shut the highway down. When it goes through Argyle, there are also some school zones and slower speed limits, too. (Personally, I would not make 377 his primary commute route.) The good thing about both routes is that he will be driving against traffic by going north in the morning and south in the evening.

You'll need to check about the legality of driving a golf cart on a public road in Texas. I did find this online: "Golf carts can’t be driven on a public roadway with a posted speed limit of more than 35 mph or operated at a speed of more than 25 miles per hour." https://communityimpact.com/austin/n...urban-streets/

Old 09-09-2019, 01:36 PM

Okay, great! Are there other towns similar to Southlake closer to Denton? Thoughts on Highland Village? Thanks so much!

Old 09-09-2019, 01:53 PM

10,113 posts, read 21,343,827 times
Highland Village is nice, although it is much more rural that Southlake, and it is not a "country club" community. Lots of people that live up there have horses and homes are usually on acreage. I have no idea about the schools.

You might also look at the Harvest and Lantana planned communities south of Denton. They are putting up a lot of houses in both right now.

Old 09-09-2019, 01:56 PM

Will do! Do those areas have good shopping/restaurants etc.?

Old 09-09-2019, 04:14 PM

206 posts, read 237,274 times
I don't consider Highland Village more rural than Southlake. Maybe in the far corners, but I can't imagine that it would take longer to get from the edges of Highland Village back to shops any longer than it takes to get to shops form some of the neighborhoods in Southlake. Lantana on the other hand is basically Argyle, and it's building up but you still have to drive back to Highland Village/Flower Mound to do anything significant shopping. Hopefully you can visit and take time to drive through each area and see what has the best feel for your family. Highland Village has a very different feel from Southlake IMO, not better or worse, just different. I think both Highland Village and Southlake have access to good restaurants and shopping. Southlake Town Square has all the high end stores, but I personally don't need to visit those daily so a 20 minute drive once every week or two over there doesn't bother me.

My biggest surprise when moving to the area was that every town had every thing. Targets, Walmarts, Bed Bath and Beyonds, Best Buys, restaurants, etc. - every town has those. The stores that are more selective - Trader Joes, Nordstrom, Pottery Barn, Apple are the kinds of stores that are only in a handful of places across the metroplex, and Southlake is one of them.

Regarding schools, my kids are in LISD (not at Marcus but at FM) and I wouldn't have any reservations about sending them to Marcus. If we had found a house in northern FM or HV instead of southern FM they would be at Marcus and I wouldn't blink an eye about it. They're all top rated. Some people want number one and number one only and nothing else is worthy so if that's your feelings then you want Southlake. If you're a little more fluid and "top schools" are good enough then the ones in HV will make you happy. Especially as your kids are young. My HV friends with littles love their elementary schools. If I could give one piece of advice: I feel as close as you can get to work and be happy is best. Don't go to Southlake just for the sake of being in Southlake if you can be happy closer to work. When your littles get to school it will be nice if dad can come to events, and lunches during the day at school. Sometimes people take a long commute without realizing all they will miss out on not being able to be there quickly.

It seems most everyone seems to find their best fit after putting boots on the ground. I'm sure your family will as well. Good luck!

Old 09-09-2019, 05:07 PM

Such good advice! Thank you so much!!! We don't necessarily have to be in Southlake, it just seems (from reading these forums) it's similar to what we have now. The commute is 8 mins longer (according to google maps) from Southlake to Denton than from Highland Village so I'm trying my best to figure this all out. I have never lived outside of Ohio, so I'm hoping finding a similar town will make a smooth transition for us! )) We will be there at the end of the month and plan on visiting Southlake, Trophy Club, Roanoke and Highland Village. Any other advice is welcome!

Old 09-09-2019, 10:21 PM

2,885 posts, read 3,922,322 times
As noted in my profile, we bought in Southlake, but also checked out Highland Village, mainly the areas north along that branch of Lewisville Lake. The homes in that area are upscale and on lots that were generally under a half acre, and really you could have taken those homes and lots and dropped them in almost any part of Southlake and never notice a difference.

IIRC, most of Highland Village is zoned to Marcus HS, which has excellent metrics although not quite as high as Carroll (but Carroll ISD is more affluent overall than Highland Village, and that probably drives most of the difference), but either school will more than prepare any kid for college. It would probably be worth visiting if you haven't already and checking out both areas to see which "feels" better for you.

I'm surprised that the commute from Highland Village to Denton is showing up as only 8 minutes longer. I would also agree that 28 minutes from Southlake to Denton sounds WAY too quick, especially in rush hour (although going West on 114 to 35W and then north to Denton is the opposite of how most traffic would be flowing).

Both areas are very nice. If you're into shopping, Southlake Town Square is definitely a "destination", but The Shops at Highland Village also has plenty of upscale options.

We decided against Highland Village because we wanted to be closer to DFW airport, but generally were fond of Highland Village. There are things about the Metroplex we like and some things that we don't, but most of the "dislikes" are universal to the area and not limited to any one suburb.

Again, check out both areas, and try both drives during rush hour. I suspect the drive from Highland Village will be considerably shorter. That said, you might prefer Southlake enough that the commute time is worth it. You also should probably check out many parts of Flower Mound (basically located between those two). Flower Mound High School is excellent and if you can afford Southlake you'll find plenty of desirable homes in your range in Flower Mound, too.

Good luck on your move and I hope you find DFW to your liking!

Old 09-12-2019, 09:36 PM

4,636 posts, read 3,703,920 times
Not sure if you've made your trip here yet, but...

What is your budget?

If you could afford it, I would recommend Westlake. It is absolutely gorgeous and is 5 miles closer to Denton than Southlake is, but it is pricey.

I'm going to be honest, I really like Southlake, but Southlake to Denton is not a commute I would want to do. The rule of thumb is to allow 2-3 minutes a mile, and as the area grows, it is more going to be like 3 minutes than 2 minutes. An hour commute is not something I'd choose with 2 young children.

Driving here is different than driving further east. There is a weird space-time continuum here. We live 6 miles from my daughter's school and it takes 25 minutes. Traffic lights are loooooong here.

Also that small town feel with the historic district that you describe is nothing like Southlake. I'd look at Argyle if you want that. McKinney would be more similar but I think that commute is not reasonable. Denton itself has an historic square. But that is not what Southlake feels like. Also more people here have private backyard pools, which again makes the neighborhoods have a slightly different feel. Bridlewood in Flower Mound is closer to having that same kind of country club feel.

HTH and good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or