Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2019, 03:12 PM

96 posts, read 105,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunduri View Post
I'd rather have a more modestly sized home on a larger lot. Moved here from NJ and was surprised at how small the lots are. For the same cost in central NJ, I had a full acre of land. What ever happened to the saying, "everything is bigger in TX"?
More like Greed is bigger in TX
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2019, 03:44 PM

4,505 posts, read 4,619,106 times
As much as the cost of housing is these days, I'm surprised more people don't buy mobile homes. They are so much more affordable and they are built so much sturdier and stronger than they use to be.
Some mobile homes look more like a house than a mobile home.

I think $200,000 is a ridiculous amount of money to pay for a modest house, when it should be practically a mansion for that price. If I was just starting out, I would not be able to afford Austin. A simple 1200 square feet house near where my folks live in Cherry Creek, built in the mid-1970's recently sold for over $400,000 when only 20 years ago it would have sold about $65,000. I certainly would not even consider a $400,000 house unless I was rich and the house was plenty big and on at least a half acre lot with a long distance view and out of sight from the nearest neighbor. Some of those high dollar houses are well within spittin' distance of the neighbor's house.

Old 10-07-2019, 04:03 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,648,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
As much as the cost of housing is these days, I'm surprised more people don't buy mobile homes. They are so much more affordable and they are built so much sturdier and stronger than they use to be.

I think $200,000 is a ridiculous amount of money to pay for a modest house, when it should be practically a mansion for that price. If I was just starting out, I would not be able to afford Austin. A simple 1200 square feet house near where my folks live in Cherry Creek, built in the mid-1970's recently sold for over $400,000 when only 20 years ago it would have sold about $65,000. I certainly would not even consider a $400,000 house unless I was rich and the house was plenty big and on at least a half acre lot with a long distance view and out of sight from the nearest neighbor. Some of those high dollar houses are well within spittin' distance of the neighbor's house.
I guess the $350k 1880sq on 1/3 acre house we have a contract on in another state would shock some people. Housing in Texas is super cheap compared with the rest of the country. Ya'll are just spoiled

Our Texas house is on a large corner lot. We will probably drop the price to 215k and take 195k just to get out of here. Probably be purchased by a property manage company. The owners in my development always complain when yet another home is "for lease"....so sad too bad. Bottom feeders don't want to pay for a totally renovated home. I guess they don't think they are good enough for a nice place, so go ahead and lease a dump.

We are moving to an island in Puget Sound with 1100 people. Cannot wait! WORTH the money.

Old 10-07-2019, 04:28 PM

11,856 posts, read 26,881,949 times
Quote:
As much as the cost of housing is these days, I'm surprised more people don't buy mobile homes. They are so much more affordable and they are built so much sturdier and stronger than they use to be. Some mobile homes look more like a house than a mobile home.
Because most cities do not allow new mobile homes to be placed within their city limits, so you are limited to living in an unincorporated, rural area, which will mean a long commute and kids riding a bus to school every day. There are a few cities that still have mobile home parks within their city limits, but those are all grandfathered in and no new ones can be built.

Old 10-08-2019, 03:10 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,073,569 times
Quote:

Tornados and mobile homes are not a smart combination.

Not being snarky, but how do you manage a 1/2 acre lot that is "out of sight from the nearest neighbor"? Our last neighborhood was acre+ lots and we could still see the neighbors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
I guess the $350k 1880sq on 1/3 acre house we have a contract on in another state would shock some people. Housing in Texas is super cheap compared with the rest of the country. Ya'll are just spoiled

We are moving to an island in Puget Sound with 1100 people. Cannot wait! WORTH the money.
Texas is not cheap compared to most southern states. It is cheap compared to California and the NE corridor.

Your island life sounds awesome.

Old 10-08-2019, 03:23 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,215,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
Not being snarky, but how do you manage a 1/2 acre lot that is "out of sight from the nearest neighbor"? Our last neighborhood was acre+ lots and we could still see the neighbors.
We just moved into a home in an established neighborhood with mature trees. The home is on a 1/2 acre triangular-shaped lot. The home is on a cul-de-sac with the small front yard as the apex. The backyard is quite large with a terraced yard above the patio. The home is very well sited and landscaped for maximum backyard privacy even though we have neighbors behind us and on both sides. We love it.

Old 10-08-2019, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcualum View Post
We just moved into a home in an established neighborhood with mature trees. The home is on a 1/2 acre triangular-shaped lot. The home is on a cul-de-sac with the small front yard as the apex. The backyard is quite large with a terraced yard above the patio. The home is very well sited and landscaped for maximum backyard privacy even though we have neighbors behind us and on both sides. We love it.
That sounds awesome, but you can still see your neighbors from your front door and vice versa right?

Enjoy your new home!

Old 10-09-2019, 06:42 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
We just bought a nearly new 2660 square foot $377k home on nearly an acre, in a gated subdivision and I love it.

Oops, it's in Tyler though. Sorry! I mean, we love it but if we worked in the DFW area that would be a long commute - LOL.

Anyway, housing is not particularly high outside of the top five metro areas - Houston, Dallas, Fort Worth, Austin and San Antonio. There are TONS of charming, older homes in various sizes available in the Tyler area.

However, builders build what sells so honestly, don't blame them. The demand for their product is definitely out there.

Old 10-10-2019, 05:30 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,215,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
That sounds awesome, but you can still see your neighbors from your front door and vice versa right?

Enjoy your new home!

Yes we can but I don’t care about that. I care about backyard privacy and I have more of that than some of my friends who live on 1+ flat, featureless acres. I also have more privacy than when I lived on 3/4 acre.

Old 10-10-2019, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcualum View Post
Yes we can but I don’t care about that. I care about backyard privacy and I have more of that than some of my friends who live on 1+ flat, featureless acres. I also have more privacy than when I lived on 3/4 acre.
OK, and not trying to be rude, but I was originally asking another poster to explain that comment. It's still not "out of sight"' from the neighbors.

I'm glad you found a new home that you are happy with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth