Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 07:45 AM

341 posts, read 1,018,549 times

Advertisements

Is it one square-block as the name states, or really a larger area ?
Is this a family type environment, or more of a party-scene for adults only ?
I've always heard quite a bit about, and briefly drove thru the area about 10
years ago when I was working short-term contract over in Irving.
Has it grown & progressed in last 10 years, or declined ?

Last edited by Jammie; 04-18-2008 at 12:51 PM.. Reason: fixed typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2008, 01:46 PM

1,298 posts, read 4,286,056 times
Sundance Square encompasses several blocks. They've done alot to it in the past 10 years. It's nice, I like strolling around it. There are restaurants and clubs, some shops, a large Barnes & Noble. It's a family environment during the day but I've not been there at night except to drive through. It's pretty at night, too, as well as the daytime.

Old 04-18-2008, 03:55 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
Sundance Sq started as redevelopment project spearheaded by the Bass family
Sundance Sq flows from the tarrant co courthouse on Belknap, west as far as Taylor stree and south to about 6th or 7th st and east to Main--which is a large part of downtown--
the part down around the Bass is very safe--further north towards the court house I would be more cautious about walking at night too far from my car--but I don't go to that part so can't say from experience
but around the Bass things are really good at night--they use private security cops on bikes and there are regular police walking around-
think most people feel very safe and don't think there are smash and grab from parked cars--at least we have never had anything like that happen...

some of the places that come to mind are Bass Hall, Reata and Billy Miner's restaurants and Razoo's--Barnes and Noble bookseller across from the Bass--
PF Chang's and Cantina Laredo are down there but more on the outskirts
long-time landmark The Mexican Inn was torn down to make room for something else
McDavid Studio is across the street from the Bass and on one edge of Sundance
There are also the Jubilee and Circle theaters downtown--
shopping included botique stores and more mainstream like Jos. Banks and Pappagallo

there is even a Montressori school there...
I love Sundance---it has made living in downtown FTW something that allowed/encourged many people to build/sell/buy condos downtown...
none of that development would have happened if FTW was like it was before Sundance...that was pretty boring and pedestrian to use it in the ordinary definition...

Last edited by loves2read; 04-18-2008 at 04:13 PM..

Old 04-18-2008, 09:09 PM

50 posts, read 196,188 times
Nice family atmosphere especially on a Sunday afternoon. Like to go with my kids and sit supping a Java Juice smoothy and watch the world go by. This weekend is the Art Fair...lots to see and do.

Old 04-20-2008, 12:18 AM

4,775 posts, read 8,835,591 times
Sundance Square is very nice with a family atmosphere.

Old 04-20-2008, 11:17 PM

5,412 posts, read 15,917,912 times
I really like Sundance Square. I pretty much go there every other weekend, if not every weekend, sometimes twice on a weekend.

Check out Sundance Square Fort Worth - Home for more info. There's also a little blurb on it on Wikipedia.

Old 04-20-2008, 11:23 PM

5,412 posts, read 15,917,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nita67 View Post
Nice family atmosphere especially on a Sunday afternoon. Like to go with my kids and sit supping a Java Juice smoothy and watch the world go by. This weekend is the Art Fair...lots to see and do.
The Main St. Arts Festival was pretty good. Of course I can't afford any of the paintings or sculptures, but that' besides the point.

My friend in Austin tries to compare it to 6th St. in Austin and says Austin's is much bigger and more lively. No doubt about that. Austin's 6th St. is strictly for young adults who like to drink and party. Sundance Square is good for people from age 8 to 80. But it's also has enough bars and clubs for young adults.

Old 04-17-2012, 11:29 AM

224 posts, read 527,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf7 View Post
The Main St. Arts Festival was pretty good. Of course I can't afford any of the paintings or sculptures, but that' besides the point.

My friend in Austin tries to compare it to 6th St. in Austin and says Austin's is much bigger and more lively. No doubt about that. Austin's 6th St. is strictly for young adults who like to drink and party. Sundance Square is good for people from age 8 to 80. But it's also has enough bars and clubs for young adults.
How busy is Sundance Square on Friday/Saturdays nights? Are the streets fairly busy or super-packed?

Old 04-17-2012, 11:49 AM

1,063 posts, read 3,756,032 times
Downtown FW is leaps and bounds better than it was 10-15 years ago. As a student at TCU, no one went out in Sundance Square/downtown FW. Once the Bass brothers started the redevelopment, it improved. Before it was dirty, dark, and not alot of people around. Funny how I couldn't wait to get out of FW and after 10 years, I moved back to the general area. On the weekends, it can be very busy, also depends on what's going on and the weather.

Old 04-17-2012, 02:20 PM

37 posts, read 30,378 times
Aren't they building some classic styled buildings over there? (by Flying Saucer)

Have they started? Any pics?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth