Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2019, 06:58 PM

29 posts, read 55,180 times

Advertisements

Hello all, I’m planning on accepting a job offer and relocating to Fort Worth next summer and feeling distraught about housing prices. I plan to rent for the first year and then purchase, hopefully for around $250K... 0 down, VA loan.

My non-tradeables are:

-a commute less than 40 minutes to Lockheed Martin
-garage
-decent sized backyard for large dog
-safe neighborhood
-no renovating required

We are a childfree couple and don’t care about kid amenities. We’d love to have a single story ranch home with mature trees— renovated mid century is definitely desired, but will absolutely look at traditionals and new builds.

Is this going to be doable? Where should I be looking? I’ve seen houses that I liked all over the city but have a feeling most of the neighborhoods were not safe.

Really appreciate any tips! Real estate agent recommendations are also appreciated!

Sidebar— I’m a native Texan who has been displaced against my will for the last couple of years and I can’t wait to return. Fort Worth is new for me though (I’m from south/central Texas). Please let HEB make it to Fort Worth!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2019, 01:06 AM

197 posts, read 229,338 times
If you could get one of the older homes in Westworth Village you would be in a safe neighborhood that would be within your price range, and is also pretty close to Lockheed. That said, many of the older homes there have been torn down and replaced with more expensive (new) housing stock that would be out of your price range, and given that Westworth is small, the selection of homes for sale will be limited.

Old 12-01-2019, 10:26 AM

11,856 posts, read 26,876,979 times
Your budget is going to be tough for your want list, especially the “no renovations” requirement. In 2018, the median home sale price was $273k, so from the beginning, you’re looking at the bottom half of the market.

A few areas to avoid:
White Settlement, particularly the older parts between Lockheed and Loop 820. Some of the newer WS neighborhoods west of the Loop would probably work for you, although you’d still have to shop in and drive through the undesirable parts on your way to work.
“Como” area south of I30 and east of Camp Bowie.
“Northside” which is from downtown Fort Worth north to Loop 820. This is a historically bad neighborhood where convenience store robberies and drive-by shootings are not uncommon. The small island of the Stockyards is safe, mainly due to heavy police presence.

A few areas to look at:
Ridglea, which is between I30 and the railroad tracks to the south, and Arlington Heights, which is between I30 and the Will Rogers Complex. You probably won’t find much on your price range in either of those.
TCU area, too, although stay on the west side of Berry Street.
Westworth Village near the Joint Reserve Base, although getting around the base to Lockheed can be difficult in traffic.
Weatherford and Willow Park, although those will be at the maximum of your commute limit.
Walsh Ranch new home development in far western Tarrant County near Willow Park. The smaller homes will be in your price range.

If you want the name of a Realtor who specializes in western Fort Worth, let me know.

Old 12-02-2019, 07:57 AM

160 posts, read 196,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aviatrix1 View Post
Please let HEB make it to Fort Worth!!!
You're in luck. A new HEB just opened in Hudson Oaks. There is also one in Burleson.

Old 12-02-2019, 01:24 PM

197 posts, read 229,338 times
I always wondered why HEB didn’t make a full push into the DFW area a while back. Their logistics operations are already set up to handle the DFW area (and have been for a long time) since they operate Central Market as well.

I heard it had something to do with a highly competitive market, but I’m not sure if that is correct or not.

Old 12-02-2019, 02:29 PM

11,856 posts, read 26,876,979 times
I've heard the "highly competitive market" excuse, too. Supposedly the high percentage of DFW grocery shoppers who shop at WalMart makes HEB think they can't penetrate the market here. Personally, I would be waiting at the door if an HEB opened within 10 miles of my house!

Old 12-03-2019, 07:38 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,452,922 times
Because Central market is the best line in the HEB brand and it blends in the fabric better and is more on Dallas' level....Thats why we have more than any other metro in Texas.

Old 12-03-2019, 09:41 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,215,825 times
Central Market is great for specialty items but isn't great for everyday grocery shopping. I'd love to have an HEB nearby for that. BTW, this is the Fort Worth Forum, not the Dallas one. The cities' residents have different attitudes and opinions about many things. I'm not sure your comment about Dallas is relevant to this discussion. Fort Worth is also quite familiar with Central Market, given the fact that the store came to Fort Worth before it came to Dallas.

Old 12-05-2019, 09:08 AM

5,673 posts, read 7,452,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcualum View Post
Central Market is great for specialty items but isn't great for everyday grocery shopping. I'd love to have an HEB nearby for that. BTW, this is the Fort Worth Forum, not the Dallas one. The cities' residents have different attitudes and opinions about many things. I'm not sure your comment about Dallas is relevant to this discussion. Fort Worth is also quite familiar with Central Market, given the fact that the store came to Fort Worth before it came to Dallas.
Good....I was speaking about DFW as a whole not Dallas. And I know this is a FT.Worth Forum and I also can post anywhere I want.

Old 12-05-2019, 11:37 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,215,825 times
You said Dallas not DFW and you're known for being an over-the-top Dallas booster. Yes, you can post where you wish but it's polite to respect the place you're posting in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth