U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2019, 06:42 PM

34 posts, read 14,523 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
After a lot of debating, we landed on a house in Bedford, in the “Bell Manor West” section.
Any reviews and opinions about the area?
I’ve lived in Farmers Branch since I moved to Texas and though I love being near Addison, my commute is long and our current house needs too much work.
Is the area safe? Seems nice and quiet, and we are looking forward to being closer to Colleyville, Southlake, Grapevine, and that area on Glade Rd and 121...
Not so impressed with the Pipeline Rd area south of where we will be but anything else around seems good.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2019, 06:15 AM

10,120 posts, read 21,379,732 times
Do some looking online about Bedford’s tax rate and the debate in the city government over taxes and development. Bedford has little industry and is mostly a bedroom community, so their tax rate has historically been higher than the surrounding cities. Aside from the Boys Ranch and the Blues Festival, the city has little to show for it. There’s been a lot of discussion about developing the last available parcels of land for apartments, too. Yes, Bedford south of 183 is not desirable at all. Same issue with Hurst and Euless south of 183.

All that being said, you do get more home for your money in Bedford than in Grapevine.

Old 12-13-2019, 10:28 AM

45 posts, read 24,269 times
We really liked Bedford when we were looking, but as ChristieP pointed out, the property taxes were noticeably higher compared to Hurst and Euless which are in the same school district (HEB ISD). We ultimately bought in Euless north of 183 but Bedford also would have been fine.

Old 12-14-2019, 10:23 AM

609 posts, read 840,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Yes, Bedford south of 183 is not desirable at all.
That's terribly inaccurate, especially when the OP is discussing buying a house in Bell Manor West. That neighborhood is made up of very well kept, nice looking homes. The area across Forest Ridge immediately to the west (Schumac, Overhill, Briar, just to name a few of the streets) are some of the nicest homes you'll find in Bedford. South of 183 in Bedford has certain streets that feature smaller, older homes, but it is far from "not desirable" and offers some great value alternative compared to the more expensive homes north of the freeway.

I lived in Bedford for close nearly 20 years until we moved in November and, while it wasn't a front-of-mind factor, the ever increasing city property taxes made leaving easier. A tax rollback election several years ago hit the city hard and, rather than holding pat or raising taxes at a slower rate going forward, they regularly lowered taxes as values increased and cut out a lot of basic maintenance from their budget. Surrounding cities have and continue to build sales tax generating developments and Bedford has been left behind. Their only option to catch up on their budget is increasing property taxes. They were one of the only municipalities in the area to raise taxes this year amidst skyrocketing values and their increase was huge compared to the few other cities that had to do the same.

Old 12-15-2019, 04:04 PM

Thank you jbb303! We did have about a $1100 tax hike here in FB in 2018 that caused a rather unpleasant escrow shortage, and the taxes on the house I’m selling are actually a little higher due to its proximity to Dallas and an extra 1,000 or so sq ft on the lot?

Coming to North Texas as a New Jersey native, I’ll take $4-5,000 property taxes any day lol.

One thing we loved about the house and the area is as you said the well-kept look of the neighborhood, which as you may know is mostly lacking in Farmers Branch outside of the Brookhaven area. I don’t understand why so many people own a home and let it look like crap all the time.
We started making ourselves paranoid with looking at crime maps, we did notice a lot of burglaries and car theft, but hopefully nothing happens! The area seems safe and friendly, and that Glade Rd area looks great to have nearby.

Old 12-17-2019, 09:39 AM

1,140 posts, read 265,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MthomasW View Post
Hi all,
After a lot of debating, we landed on a house in Bedford, in the “Bell Manor West” section.
Any reviews and opinions about the area?
I’ve lived in Farmers Branch since I moved to Texas and though I love being near Addison, my commute is long and our current house needs too much work.
Is the area safe? Seems nice and quiet, and we are looking forward to being closer to Colleyville, Southlake, Grapevine, and that area on Glade Rd and 121...
Not so impressed with the Pipeline Rd area south of where we will be but anything else around seems good.

Thanks!
Why not Grapevine?

Old 12-18-2019, 09:30 PM

Can’t afford Grapevine. A crack house is $250k over there

Old 12-19-2019, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MthomasW View Post
Can’t afford Grapevine. A crack house is $250k over there
Yes, Grapevine is more expensive because the property taxes are lower, there are better/more city services, and GCISD is better rated than HEBISD. I saw the difference back when we bought our house in 2009, and it was very tempting to go for the “bigger house for the same money” in Bedford.

Old 12-19-2019, 09:33 AM

609 posts, read 840,759 times
We looked hard in Grapevine last summer, especially in the triangle bordered by 121, Mid Cities, and 360. There's just something really charming about a lot of the neighborhoods in that area. At that point, we were looking between $300-400k and we just found that the price range resulted in quirks or issues that we had trouble with: upstairs master bedroom, really small kitchen in proportion to the rest of the house, dated looks like faux brass accents and door hardware or mirrored sliding closet doors, backyards landscaped to the point that they didn't have any lawn. We were patient and stumbled into a house in NRH that we will likely be happier with in the long run. We probably could have been patient and found a better fit in Grapevine, but it just never came together.

Old 12-19-2019, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbb303 View Post
dated looks like faux brass accents and door hardware or mirrored sliding closet doors,
It always amazes me how some buyers will get hung up on cosmetic things that are super easy to fix yourself without even spending much money doing it. You can buy new door hardware at Home Depot for under $100 and replace it yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth