Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2019, 06:28 PM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,612 posts, read 22,898,942 times

Advertisements

Light rail, TEXRail extension and rapid bus lines: How Fort Worth could transform your commute

I felt that this needed its own discussion away from the Development Thread.

As many of you know, Trinity Metro (formerly FWTA, a.k.a. "The T") completely rebranded as well as cleaned house before-hand. Since about 2015, the agency has tried hard to get a better public transportation options to the city as it is, like many things in Ft. Worth, lagging behind even its peer cities in transit.

In 2010, the proposal for just the study alone of modern streetcars was scrapped thanks to some questionable voting practices and even as recent as 2016, a new proposal for the future of bus & premium options wasn't even viewed. So now a group called "Transit Moves Fort Worth" is pushing for a new proposal with new systems, seen here:

^^^ This is "Scenario 3", which includes:
- Light Rail (most likely streetcars and not the LRT systems that DART and Houston's METRO have)
- BRT
- Rapid Bus (like the existing *Spur that runs from Lancaster to Camp Bowie)

And etc. More seen on the list from Luke Ranker's twitter account here:

As much as I want to get my hopes up, I know what it's like here having to wait for something to happen... and maybe not even getting it at all. You've probably seen that from several projects I posted that hasn't happened yet. Some of which are completely dead now.

I think this is a good proposal, but it's up to the city. Unfortunately, we currently have people who can't see the forests from the trees an even some who will support only what's good enough for their district... like Jungus, who was all in favor of TEXRail, until the current line was cut in half, stopping the train in downtown and cutting it off from the Southwest side of town... which is where Jungus's district just so happens to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2019, 09:17 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,696,264 times
Thanks for posting this here. I, too, would love to believe it... but I won't until I see it. Progress on public transportation in FW is glacial in pace. IMO, it is the most backwater and provincial aspect of living here. I understand and appreciate the region's history with petroleum and the automobile, but the resistance to alternatives is still very frustrating.

Old 09-29-2019, 01:42 PM

3,887 posts, read 2,199,041 times
Wow, hope this actually happens.

Old 10-01-2019, 03:42 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,450,763 times
I really hope this happens too....I actually wish DART would buy out the "T" and become one transit system for the whole metroplex...it would benefit everyone.

But until Ft.Worth starts to think like the big city that it really is.... and focus on big city stuff...It will always be looked at as an afterthought or second...or a suburb to Dallas....You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Old 10-01-2019, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
I really hope this happens too....I actually wish DART would buy out the "T" and become one transit system for the whole metroplex...it would benefit everyone.

But until Ft.Worth starts to think like the big city that it really is.... and focus on big city stuff...It will always be looked at as an afterthought or second...or a suburb to Dallas....You can't have your cake and eat it too.
1. It's Trinity Metro now. Not "The T".
2. The DART buying out the FWTA ship sailed when the city fired everyone and re-branded. Dallas can't own every little thing in this area.
3. That last bit was unnecessary... as usual with you Dallasites.

Old 10-02-2019, 05:20 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,214,194 times
Quote:

If you wish to have your opinions thoughtfully considered here you’ll skip digs like the one you included at the end. Completely unnecessary.

Old 10-02-2019, 12:07 PM

382 posts, read 420,529 times
My commute sometimes takes me past the sites where the Interurban stations used to be near Lake Arlington and the Freemason's home. I sometimes wonder what this area might have been like, had we not ripped out all the Interurban and streetcar lines decades ago, and instead incorporated into our transportation network and let them evolve.

I think it would be much simpler to get around the area, certainly not needing billions for "light rail" that would be empty most of the time. What a bone-headed decision that was in hindsight.

Old 10-02-2019, 01:13 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,450,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcualum View Post
If you wish to have your opinions thoughtfully considered here you’ll skip digs like the one you included at the end. Completely unnecessary.
I apologize if anyone got offended. But its truth.

Old 10-02-2019, 02:28 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,839,439 times
Quote:
I apologize if anyone got offended. But its truth.
I actually agree with you. Fort Worth does need to start acting like the big city that it is. Can you imagine how powerful the DFW region would be if Fort Worth got its act together.

Old 10-02-2019, 10:48 PM

But Fort Worth IS getting its act together . . .

You wouldn't have projects like Panther Island (which is getting a new manager, btw) without some forward thinking around here.

This isn't Arlington.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth