U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2020, 09:59 AM

7 posts, read 8,130 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Texas in a few days and am moving from a place that has one electric company option based on where you live and the 2 or so companies basically control the whole state.

That being said, there are 68 companies available for my new Texas address...wtf.

Tips would be amazing!

Which to avoid or you’ve had good experience with?
Fixed/locked rate - does this fluctuate frequently and by a lot?

Anything would be helpful as this idea is new. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2020, 10:19 AM

609 posts, read 838,418 times
I know a lot of people will consider this blasphemy, but I went with TXU when I first bought a house 17 years ago and I've stayed there since. I probably could have saved money, but I've just never found anything that wowed me enough to go through the hassle of switching. I always hear good things about some of the Reliant plans. I've always looked at it like I do car insurance: they tease you in the beginning with a sweetheart deal and then jack up the rates as soon as possible. I've never let that stop me from switching with that when the deal is good, but for some reason, I've just never felt compelled with my electric service. That other issue I have, and I'm sure this will get some groans, is that I average bill and you have to have 6 months of service with a provider to use it. I like having a bill that doesn't fluctuate much. I just moved in November and I'm dying while I wait to start averaging again.

Old 01-30-2020, 12:33 PM

13 posts, read 6,817 times
Well, you have likely already made your decision. I would have recommended Champion. We've had them since we moved here in 2010 and although I shop around when each contract expires which is typically 12-24 months, I have continued with them each time.

Old 01-31-2020, 11:15 AM

146 posts, read 91,912 times
Use Power To Choose | Home to compare in your area. This website is supported by the Public Utility Commission.

Old 01-31-2020, 04:45 PM

961 posts, read 539,111 times
I was with TXU for 14 years. I am currently with Our Energy and am paying HALF of what I was each month with TXU. TXU is overpriced and does not value their long term customers.

Old 02-08-2020, 11:20 PM

126 posts, read 60,208 times
Currently with Reliant but the contract is up, lots of choices to pick from. Would recommend going with TXU or Reliant for the first contract to see what your usage map is in terms of time and energy consumption; then use this data to get the best rate for your lifestyle. Look at level billing less than 1 year contracts for the best pricing, long term contracts if you want to inflation proof.

Unlike most states in Texas you have options
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or