U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2020, 04:28 PM

31,678 posts, read 49,154,377 times

Advertisements

Would need good physical therapy for someone who has lost lot of muscle tone/weight due to malabsorption and cancer...
they have good insurance but even if have to supplement—want a top quality unit with enough staff to deal with patients when they are not in physical or occupational therapy...
Any links to check for ratings?

Have friend of friend—older woman w/heart and back issues at The Forum in Bedford and while the physical therapy seems quality the number of nursing staff for issues like bathroom assistance is low enough that she has had to wait 30 min or more....that may be common but that would be unacceptable to us...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2020, 08:44 PM

10,113 posts, read 21,346,900 times
Does your person want an inpatient rehab hospital, or a rehab unit at a skilled nursing facility?

Old 01-30-2020, 09:36 PM

See—we don’t really know the difference

The PT person at UTSW who spoke with him at his first release before Christmas recommended Moncrief in FTW but said he was probably too capable for an inpatient facility—was too strong and capable really—at that time would only get in-home therapy.
But he has gotten lot weaker since then just before Christmas because he had three large abscesses develop in his liver and had to have stent replaced in a bile duct—the original stent had clogged due to infection and bile stones that had to be removed....
He has gotten weaker, lost weight fighting off two different infections in bloodstream and they found out he has fat malabsorption as part of his nutrition issues...
Also has muscle atrophy in his neck/throat area that has impaired speech and created some swallowing issues.

This is my son—44—cancer vs stroke or automobile accident is causing his physical impairments...

Old 01-31-2020, 04:29 AM

Inpatient rehab hospital requires 3 or more hours of therapy per day. There’s a Healthsouth rehab hospital at Bedford Road and 121.

Skilled nursing is much less, usually 1-2 hours. Any big nursing home will have a rehab unit, and since he is over 40, they could take him.

Old 01-31-2020, 08:50 AM

609 posts, read 838,418 times
My wife's grandfather was at Forum for a short time before he passed away. It had opened shortly before that, so it was really nice and modern. Unfortunately, the staff left a lot to be desired. He rarely received any personal care (shower, clean up, change clothes, etc.) unless someone like my wife or her mother went in and pushed for it. The therapy staff also did nothing to push him to do physical therapy. He slept much of the time and, if he was asleep when they came to get him or said he didn't feel like going, they didn't make or encourage him to go. This resulted in him getting pushed out for 24 hours until he could get into acute care at another facility. Long story short, he ended up in another facility where he came down with an infection that eventually put him in the hospital until he passed. He was in LaDora in Bedford for a short time and, while it is an older, more dated facility, the staff and the care was much better. Not sure what they offer in the way of therapy, but it might be worth looking into.

Old 01-31-2020, 10:19 AM

1,106 posts, read 746,058 times
We're dealing with this now with my mom.
I am less than thrilled after one day where she is in Grapevine.
Gotta get her outta there quickly.
I can do more at home. It may kill me, but I don't think she will see big improvement where she is.
It's clean and that's about all I can say.
If someone could work with her more and give her attention, PT, OT, and some up and down and walking assistance I think she would improve.....but I don't think they are prepared to do that.

I probably let my dad stay to long in one in Hurst. He was alert enough and we were there every day to guide the staff, but I don't think it helped him at all and a couple of times they nearly killed him. He would advise them don't give him too much of this or that medicine and they would do it anyway and then it would put him over and send him to hospital.

Got him home for a while before they could do more damage and before he passed.

Home will be better for my mom as soon as I can make that happen.

Very sad....

Old 01-31-2020, 06:58 PM

Has anyone had experience with the Moncrief Center in FTW?
That is branch of the UTSW center in Dallas where his doctors are...

Old 02-01-2020, 11:43 AM

Anything UTSW does will be very good.

Old 02-02-2020, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Inpatient rehab hospital requires 3 or more hours of therapy per day. There’s a Healthsouth rehab hospital at Bedford Road and 121.

Skilled nursing is much less, usually 1-2 hours. Any big nursing home will have a rehab unit, and since he is over 40, they could take him.
That HealthSouth unit is called Encmpass now
Maybe was bought
But has good reviews on ITS website

Old 02-04-2020, 12:51 PM

Yes, it has been bought several times now. I was the first HR Director there when it opened in 2011! It started out as Reliant, then HealthSouth, and now Encompass. It's a very nice facility, and I still know a lot of the therapy staff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or