Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2008, 09:51 AM

13 posts, read 108,833 times

Advertisements

Where would you live if you had a choice? What are the pros and cons? What town is considered more affluent? Your toughts/comments will be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2008, 10:14 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,840,314 times
Quote:
What town is considered more affluent
I'd say westlake by far. I only found 1 house for under 1 mil (it was 925k)
I'd say avg house is 1.5mil
I have never been in hte "town" of westlake, I think of more as a "neighobrhood" not much ofr amenities...but it's right within Southlake and Keller like a suburb of both.
I don't know what rec programs, parks etc it has if any. The kids play on Keller and Southlake soccer teams etc...

Public schools are Keller, Southlake and NOrthwest...depending on where you live.

Southlake property values have increased etc... but they do have their share of smaller older houses etc...even..gasp some trailer homes!!
has about 25 homes under 400k....close to 100 between 400k and 600k
It's alot bigger than Westlake and has it's share of 1mil+ homes.
It's a town in it's own right has rec facilites etc... Shopping at the Town Center and all up and down 1709.

Public schools...Carroll, Keller or Grapevine/colleyville again depending on where you live.

EDIT>>>> if I could afford to choose...I'd live in Westlake. It's just BEAUTIFUL, no traffic no busy raods etc... just hills and trees and big beautiful houses on very large lots!

Old 05-21-2008, 10:29 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,487,504 times
when 5 stones says taht there are 25 homes under 400K--that is referring to MLS listings currently---

personally I would not want to live in Westlake because I can't afford to live that lifestyle--and if I did have the money to live that livestyle I would probably want to live in the Hill Country around Kerrville or Lake Travis---

know some people who bought home in southlake several years ago when their twin daughters were just going to start school--because of the Carroll ISD rep--they moved--did not feel comfortable with the people they were neighbors with--they are WASC--white-anglo saxon-catholics--nice people but felt that they were not able to fit in with that crowd--

Old 05-21-2008, 10:45 AM

13 posts, read 108,833 times
I am looking at both Southlake and Westlake. I like the "country" feel that Westlake has..It has hills and trees and not far from all the ammenities that Southlake has to offer, but I am not sure how Westlake is zoned and what its future growth prospects are. I like the sense of community and pride that Southlake offers and of course the schools but is Southlake getting overbuilt? Since buying in either area will be a significant investment, where would your money go further in the long run? 5 years from now.

Old 05-21-2008, 01:22 PM

3,041 posts, read 11,840,314 times
loves2,
I agree 100% about not wanting to live in an area that you can't live by the lifestyle...etc. BUT...If I could, If I had the means, and I had to stay in this area due to jobs etc... I would choose Westlake over Southlake. (but that is also because I am not a huge southlake fan)

About the schools...Southlake is adament about NOT having 2 competeing HS. I don't see how they can. It is growing and it seems more young families are moving in, not retirees. So, either they are going to have 1 HUGE HS by adding on to both the current campuses. I guess most ofthat would have to be at Carroll High since Carroll senior high doesn't have a lot of land.
Or give in and build a 2nd HS...only time will tell.

As far as the amenities go... Westlake is basically an extension of Southlake/Keller all amenties are very close. The only exception is that you would not get the "REsident" discount for some programs.

I also don't know what fire/police respond there etc...

found this interesting though...
Quote:
Westlake is one of a handful of towns in Texas that do not levy property taxes. Instead, revenue from sales taxes and franchise fees run the community and support its growth.

Denton and Tarrant counties assess property and school taxes. Links to these agencies can be found on the right.

The Sales Tax rate in Westlake is 8.25%

6.25% - state tax
1.00% - city tax
1.00% - local economic development tax

Annual sales tax revenue in Westlake is approximately $1.8 million.
Here's the town website...might provide info about growth etc... It's a master planned community...I didn't know that.
Town of Westlake : : Home

Old 06-24-2008, 01:53 AM

13,186 posts, read 14,920,835 times
I wouldn't worry about Westlake's zoning. It's as tight as they come. Nothing gets built there without approval from the villagers.

Old 06-24-2008, 09:29 PM

Location: DFW, specializing in NE Tarrant County, Southlake, Westlake, Keller, Grapevine, Trophy Club, Roanoke
77 posts, read 332,569 times
I don't think there's any question that Westlake is the more affluent of the two cities. Westlake has little or no 'amenities' to speak of... except for a few shops and a very nice gym at the Solana center. It does have a fairly active and friendly community. For shopping, dining, and services it's an easy trip down the road to Southlake.

One point I have not seen mentioned... residents of Westlake have the option of sending their school children to Westlake Academy, a very prestigious charter school.

LINK: Westlake Academy

Westlake does have its own small fire/rescue department. It borders Circle T Ranch, which is a Perot/Hillwood property that will someday be home to exclusive shops, hotels, golf course etc.

You'll be hard-pressed to find a new home under $1.5M in Westlake. If you're interested in the Vaquero community (the club is invitation only), be prepared to spend $3-5M.

By comparison, the average home price in Southlake is about $650K.

Old 06-25-2008, 10:19 AM

Location: DFW, specializing in NE Tarrant County, Southlake, Westlake, Keller, Grapevine, Trophy Club, Roanoke
77 posts, read 332,569 times
BTW... a really BIG plus of Westlake for most area residents (kids and adults) is Teddy the camel who lives at Circle T Ranch. I look for Teddy every day as I drive along Hwy 114. He grazes with a heard of bison.

LINK: Teddy the Camel

Old 06-26-2008, 12:24 AM

13,186 posts, read 14,920,835 times
One draw back as far as I can see is that you must schlep over to Southlake quite often for shopping, errands, kid's sports. etc. Being in Southlake I like being closer to all that.

Old 06-26-2008, 10:01 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,487,504 times
it can take more time to drive from other parts of Southlake to Southlake Town Center than from Westlake...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth