U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2020, 09:22 AM

2 posts, read 552 times

Advertisements

Thinking about buying a house on 1.4 acres south of fort worth. There is an 8" LPG pipeline running underground at the back of the property. Pipeline will be about 100' from house. Anybody live near a pipeline? Thoughts? (This isn't the delivery pipeline for natural gas that is going into everyones home)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2020, 08:13 PM

2,140 posts, read 6,363,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r2me24 View Post
Thinking about buying a house on 1.4 acres south of fort worth. There is an 8" LPG pipeline running underground at the back of the property. Pipeline will be about 100' from house. Anybody live near a pipeline? Thoughts? (This isn't the delivery pipeline for natural gas that is going into everyones home)

I have a major 36" NG transport line in the field across from me. It's owned by Kinder Morgan (https://www.kindermorgan.com/). Long story short I watched it go in over 15 years ago, have dealt with their people since, and have no concerns for safety. Kinder Morgan is IMO an outstanding company.

However at 8" I doubt it is a Kinder Morgan line so I can't tell you anything about that company's safety. What I can tell you is that even at the depths they place these lines, or are suppose to, I would not want it running through my property unless it was in an already established right of way (ROW) at the road edge. There will be restrictions what you can do over and around the line in its ROW.

What I suggest is finding out who owns the line and how old it may be. If you know the actual direction of the line and follow it then typically where it crosses the roads there will be a sign posted for it unless it was used for target practice. If it was required to be registered with the Texas Railroad Commission they have a pipeline mapping system that you can look it up https://www.rrc.state.tx.us/about-us...h/gis-viewers/ . The TRRC can also advise if the company has any safety issues and also for a specific line.

Old 02-13-2020, 06:17 AM

2 posts, read 552 times
Thanks. You wouldn't want it running through your property due to safety or because you can't do anything on the easement?

Old 02-13-2020, 02:23 PM

2,140 posts, read 6,363,636 times
Quote:
Thanks. You wouldn't want it running through your property due to safety or because you can't do anything on the easement?

For me safety would be a concern that is mostly handled by checking the history of the company owning the line. Over the last 20 years there have been so many regulations on materials, installation methods, and recurring maintenance methods that a properly installed line has a very low expectation of failure. However that does not necessarily mean proper materials were used, proper installation techniques were followed, and proper recurring maintenance was performed. If the the owning company has a long history of outstanding line safety then it would not be a great concern for me. For example that 36" line I spoke of is probably no more than 2000 feet from my home. If it goes it will wreak havoc for a large area around it. However Kinder Morgan is a great company and I have no real fear of that ever happening.

As for the easement they will typically prevent use of the land over and around it for a specific distance, especially for an NG or other high hazard line. You may be amenable to that but there is another possibility to consider. If the easement is at the road and running along the road it can be accessed easily with little affect on you. If it is located somewhere inside of the property that can cause issues. The owning company would not only have an easement but also the right to cross your property to get at it if needed. You would hope they would be considerate and not damage anything and if they do they would repair it but that is not always the case. They may have to enter your property with heavy equipment and severely damage the grading and drainage characteristics as well as ground cover (grass, etc.) or other aspects. If they do not fix it or fix it right you may wind up paying for it yourself or going to court over the matter. Add to it that some of these companies use a lot of contract crews for the work and it ads to the fight.

Old 02-13-2020, 06:51 PM

19,583 posts, read 4,910,009 times
Quote:
i wouldnt want a pipeline running through my property because a lady from church had a family member pass away because of a pipeline under their house.Im not saying its gonna happen or is even likely but it is within the realm of possibilies.....I just would not want to deal with that on my mind every day.

Old 02-14-2020, 01:18 PM

2,722 posts, read 4,735,784 times
I have pipelines running through my property (two running along the side of my property - 2 different companies - 1 is 36", the other is 8" and the 8" curves and runs down the front of my property 20' off the county road. There's nothing that I would want to place as a permanent structure on them given their location and so they don't affect the usage of the property to any degree for me.

You can find property in the area you're talking about that won't have a pipeline through it, but more than likely most will. The area is in the Barnett Shale and pipelines are running all though it. The pipeline wouldn't concern me in terms of property usage or safety.

Old 02-17-2020, 08:35 AM

146 posts, read 91,741 times
I would be most concerned with the easement they have on your property. You need to get a copy of that document and see what all is included. You wont be able to do anything to the land within that easement and it most likely gives them permission to bring heavy equipment onto your property should they need to perform maintenance on it.

Old 03-13-2020, 10:17 PM

31,663 posts, read 49,132,107 times
Quote:
We have friends who moved back from Bentonville Arkansas about 10 yrs ago now
Bought new build in newer neighborhood in NRHills
They thought it had a deeper than normal lot so they would have more room for a pool
They didn’t pay attention to their survey and their realtor wasn’t very informed or didn’t inform them
They went to get permit for their pool and found out they had a NGL easement at read of the property
A big gas transmission line

So because of the easement restriction they had to put their pool right up against their patio whether they wanted to or not
They have lot of space in back yard but they are retired — no kids at home—and yard kind of goes to waste...

So far no issues but line is pretty net—just went in while the development was taking shape...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth