U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2020, 11:23 PM

247 posts, read 98,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cammyspot View Post
Why is Addison never referenced as a good place for families? It is because more millennials are there?
Because Addison is barely a city (have you seen it on a map ?). Literally 95% of addison is zoned for apartments, airport, shopping, and industrial.

The small neighbhorhood near Greenhill is I believe the only residential housing neighbhorhood in the entire city (your not gonna have people referencing Addison for that exact reason, there's barely any families that live there)
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
Also Addison is NOWHERE NEAR Keller, so I'm not sure why anyone suggested it to you. Also it's not really a place for families with kids.
Agreed. I literally have zero idea why Addison was ever mention. Barely any family housing, medicore Dallas ISD school feeder (ED walker middle to WT white high), and far from Keller.

Quote:
I thought Fort Worth is more country, that's why I was wondering about other cities
Tarrant county has over 2 million people. That's the complete opposite of country. Keller is towards the outskirts of the tarrant county line and it's still pretty well built up (late 1980s to present was most of the houses)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2020, 07:35 AM

167 posts, read 295,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastershake575 View Post
Because Addison is barely a city (have you seen it on a map ?). Literally 95% of addison is zoned for apartments, airport, shopping, and industrial.

The small neighbhorhood near Greenhill is I believe the only residential housing neighbhorhood in the entire city (your not gonna have people referencing Addison for that exact reason, there's barely any families that live there)
Agreed. I literally have zero idea why Addison was ever mention. Barely any family housing, medicore Dallas ISD school feeder (ED walker middle to WT white high), and far from Keller.

Tarrant county has over 2 million people. That's the complete opposite of country. Keller is towards the outskirts of the tarrant county line and it's still pretty well built up (late 1980s to present was most of the houses)
Thanks so much for your help. I have a better clue about Addison and Tarrant County. I guess there is a big difference from booking a hotel there and actually living in the area day to day.

Old 03-10-2020, 07:39 AM

1,771 posts, read 1,015,929 times
People don't ride horses to school in Fort Worth. It's a major metropolitan city of 874,168 with world-class art museums. Heck, the richest woman in the world lives in Fort Worth. I used to live in Fossil Creek and commuted to Dallas. I wouldn't wish that drive on my worst enemy. I was born in Dallas and lived in North Dallas as a young single. Addison is mostly where young singles live. Your budget won't go far in North Dallas. Also, what's more important? Your family or shopping? You can drive to Dallas during the weekend to go shopping if you don't find the Midcities or Keller shopping to be good enough for you. You can get a better house for your money, a much better commute which saves money and gives you more time with your family and better schools by looking at the Midcities or Keller.

Old 03-10-2020, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
You absolutely should be able to buy close to Keller proper, even if you cannot afford Keller itself. By "Keller", I mean the area zoned to Keller HS. Other areas will be marketed as Keller and are in Keller ISD but are really Fort Worth.

Look in this priority:

1) Keller proper, zoned to Keller HS (may also include parts of North Richland Hills). Tight in your budget but it exists.

2) North Richland Hills zoned to Birdville HS (Birdville ISD) or areas of North Fort Worth zoned to Timber Creek HS (also in Keller ISD)

3) Trophy Club, zoned to Byron Nelson HS

Keller ISD does really well overall with kids with special needs.

I really don't think you need to go as far as Carrollton or Farmer's Branch.
Thanks so much for your helpful feedback. I now have the information I need to make a great decision.

Old 03-10-2020, 07:46 AM

I have a follow-up question. Is Keller diverse? We are a family of color so I want to make sure the area is diverse.

Old 03-10-2020, 09:18 AM

10,113 posts, read 21,349,837 times
A quick Google search shows the demographics of Keller ISD here: https://www.kellerisd.net/Page/6575
55% White, 23% Hispanic, 9% African American, 8% Asian, 8% multiracial, 1% other

Old 03-10-2020, 10:46 AM

3,574 posts, read 2,080,671 times
Quote:
I have a follow-up question. Is Keller diverse? We are a family of color so I want to make sure the area is diverse.
Keller itself is not. It's 94% white, and it feels like it. Keller ISD might be more diverse, but it includes areas other than Keller. It also self-selects for young families, which may or may not match broader demographics. I think that effect must be pretty strong because even Watauga, which I would think would be the "diverse" contributor to Keller ISD, is 87% white.

In general, Keller and Southlake are wealthy white bubbles.

Old 03-10-2020, 10:47 AM

6,207 posts, read 4,989,488 times
Grapevine and Southlake have tons of shops & restaurants in consolidated areas where you can park and then stroll outside.

Also look into Roanoke

Old 03-10-2020, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
A quick Google search shows the demographics of Keller ISD here: https://www.kellerisd.net/Page/6575
55% White, 23% Hispanic, 9% African American, 8% Asian, 8% multiracial, 1% other
I looked on Google already. I wanted first-hand impressions.

Old 03-10-2020, 12:18 PM

4,643 posts, read 3,709,385 times
Quote:
I looked on Google already. I wanted first-hand impressions.
Keller HS is majority white, although I have seen all races there. Timber Creek HS and Birdville HS both have more Hispanics and AA's; not sure about Asians. If you really want a mix of races, you might look at the Hurst-Euless-Bedford area. There is a really good high school there called Trinity HS that I believe offers the IB program. It would be more of a drive for your husband, however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth